• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE ASM #129 SOCIETY
14 14

855 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Pantodude said:

An ASM129 cgc 9.8 on eBay asking $38K sold on best offer tonight, but the view-page-source trick no longer works (hasn't for a few days now) to determine price paid.  Anyone know how to find price paid now?  

I have noticed this also. Some smart person will figure out an alternative eventually.

3 hours ago, Pantodude said:

An ASM129 cgc 9.8 on eBay asking $38K sold on best offer tonight, but the view-page-source trick no longer works (hasn't for a few days now) to determine price paid.  Anyone know how to find price paid now?  

well - a 9.8 on heritage tonight sold for just under $34,000. with internet tax looking at anywhere from 35 - 37k.

4 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Sold for $28k.

-J.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:
7 hours ago, Pantodude said:

n ASM129 cgc 9.8 on eBay asking $38K sold on best offer tonight, but the view-page-source trick no longer works (hasn't for a few days now) to determine price paid.  Anyone know how to find price paid now?  

Sold for $28k.

-J.

Hey Jay;

Your $28K figure is BEFORE the BP juice.  :gossip:

So, once you add in the mandatory 20% BP, you end up with a final price of $33,600 for this CGC 9.8 graded copy of Spidey 129:   :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/the-amazing-spider-man-129-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/122118-11045.s

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, The Amazing Spider-Man #129 (Marvel, 1974) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

On 3/24/2021 at 8:46 PM, Off Panel said:

The most recent Giant-Size X-Men sale on GPA is in January for $22,500, but sure, why not ask four times that? These are just stupid prices and no informed collector is going to fall for them.

Not sure where you've been if you are quoting prices from way back in January because this would be like several lifetimes ago in this fast moving FOMO driven crypto like marketplace of ours.  :facepalm:

Just off the top of my head, I can come up with 4 sales of GSXM 1 in CGC 9.8 over the past 2 months that are substantially hgher than your January $22,500 price point.  I believe there was a CL sales in their Featured Auction near the end of February that sold for just over $40K, which was then followed by a $67,900 result in their Focus Auction in mid-March.  This was then followed up by the $60K sale during the CC Event Auction in mid-April, and then some sanity returned to the marketplace as the recently completed CL Focused Auction had the last one going for something like only a paltry $48K.   BTW:  If I am not mistaken, didn't a X-Men 94 sell for something like $63K just after that GSXM 1 sale for $67.9K?   :whatthe:  :whatthe:

I am telling you it's like crazy town out there right now with Heritage selling a CGC 9.6 (i.e. not even a CGC 9.8) graded copy of TMNT 1 for $66K at the beginning of April in their Signature Auction, only to have this record broken by CC a short 2 weeks later in their Event Auction when they sold their copy for $88K.  Of course, nothing can really be as unblieveable as that totally whacko Transformers 1 sale for $44K back in February on CL.  :screwy:  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Jay;

So, once you add in the mandatory 20% BP, you end up with a final price of $33,600 for this CGC 9.8 graded copy of Spidey 129:   :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/the-amazing-spider-man-129-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/122118-11045.s

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, The Amazing Spider-Man #129 (Marvel, 1974) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

The $28k is how much the one on eBay went for....

-J.

On 4/21/2021 at 3:58 PM, Pantodude said:

Folks...i recommend sitting down for this.  When ready....scroll down for the news.

An ASM#129 cgc 6.5 sold for $3,149 today (eBay)!   Hot!  

And I thought I overpaid at 1k for a 7.5... jesus. Thank my lucky stars I got the books I wanted most before all this FOMO nonsense started and I'd be priced out...

1 hour ago, brentdevil said:

And I thought I overpaid at 1k for a 7.5... jesus. Thank my lucky stars I got the books I wanted most before all this FOMO nonsense started and I'd be priced out...

You think $33.6K sale for the HA copy is shocking, then just wait for the Clink 9.8 Mass pedigree sale!  :tonofbricks:

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Jay;

Where are you pulling that 20% estimate from?  On top of sale price, it is just state tax, shipping cost, and insurance (if buyer requests it).  Probably closer to 10% than 20%

1 hour ago, mcduckz said:

Where are you pulling that 20% estimate from?  On top of sale price, it is just state tax, shipping cost, and insurance (if buyer requests it).  Probably closer to 10% than 20%

The high bid on Heritage was $28K.  Heritage adds a 20% buyer's premium on top of the high bid.  Hence, $28K + 20% of $28K ($5,600) = $33.6K final price.

On top of the $33.6K final price, the buyer will also have to pay sales tax and shipping & insurance, which can add up to quite a bit on this book.

Hope this helps.

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure where you've been if you are quoting prices from way back in January because this would be like several lifetimes ago in this fast moving FOMO driven crypto like marketplace of ours.  :facepalm:

To be fair, I was reacting to an eBay seller who saw the CLink February sale for just over $40k and immediately listed his copy for $88,888. (That price does not feel like a careful valuation to me. What I imagine the seller’s justification to be: “I LikE EiGhTs!!”)

Even the mid-March Focus Auction didn’t come close to this seller’s dream of All Eights All The Time.

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I am telling you it's like crazy town out there right now...

Amen, brother.

1 hour ago, Off Panel said:

To be fair, I was reacting to an eBay seller who saw the CLink February sale for just over $40k and immediately listed his copy for $88,888. (That price does not feel like a careful valuation to me. What I imagine the seller’s justification to be: “I LikE EiGhTs!!”)

Well, maybe they are hoping to snag one of these wealthy Asian buyers since they consider "8" to be a lucky and best number to have.  hm

With the property developers here in this city, they don't mind paying the insignifcant fee to the city for a simple address change to a good series of number (i.e. usually ending in an "8") because they know in a heavily Asian influenced city like ours here, it will mean big money in terms of thousands or possibly even tens of thousands of dollars to them.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, maybe they are hoping to snag one of these wealthy Asian buyers since they consider "8" to be a lucky and best number to have.  hm

With the property developers here in this city, they don't mind paying the insignifcant fee to the city for a simple address change to a good series of number (i.e. usually ending in an "8") because they know in a heavily Asian influenced city like ours here, it will mean big money in terms of thousands or possibly even tens of thousands of dollars to them.  (thumbsu

That is fascinating. You just taught me something new.

11 minutes ago, Off Panel said:

That is fascinating. You just taught me something new.

Well, avoid the number "4" then because that means death, whereas the number "8" means wealth and prosperity.  :gossip:

Easy money if you live in a heavily Asian dominant city like mines in Canada, especially when Asian people are very superstitious.  (thumbsu