• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE ASM #129 SOCIETY
14 14

855 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I am have had one book go from slightly brittle to "light tan-off white" and have had many other books go back and forth between OW-W to White and sometimes downgrade from White-Off White on a CPR or a straight resubmit.  When it comes to the OW-W vs White, I truly believe that there is an even more significant number of people are no longer bothered by an OW-W designation especially as there seem to be a lot of variances coming out of CGC. 

I guess it is a we shall see thing. 

If I were to offer you two copies of ASM 129 for sale in the same grade at the same price, with the exact same spine centering, color brightness, gloss, etc. for the same price, but one had ow/w pages, and the other had white pages, which one would you buy?

4 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

If I were to offer you two copies of ASM 129 for sale in the same grade at the same price, with the exact same spine centering, color brightness, gloss, etc. for the same price, but one had ow/w pages, and the other had white pages, which one would you buy?

At the exact same price?  White pages because there is always some label chaser that I can sell it to that is ready to pay a premium for something that is even more subjective than CGC's grading. 

At a premium for the white pager?  I will take Off-White to White. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 5/11/2021 at 3:40 PM, Buzzetta said:

At the exact same price?  White pages because there is always some label chaser that I can sell it to that is ready to pay a premium for something that is even more subjective than CGC's grading. 

At a premium for the white pager?  I will take Off-White to White. 

Yup. ^^

-J.

wow just wow on that 9.8  - but cant believe that 9.4 went for just above 6k. if I hadnt recently picked one up would have been all over that. Am I missing something - looks really nice with great centering and wrap. It went just a few 100 more than the 9,2 with the horrible wrap. 

I said it before -for whatever reason 9.4s are soft in terms of price compared to all other 129 grades. maybe should be picking up more 9.4s at these prices - especially with where the 9,8s are going.

Edited by rabidwolf

13 minutes ago, rabidwolf said:

wow just wow on that 9.8  - but cant believe that 9.4 went for just above 6k. if I hadnt recently picked one up would have been all over that. Am I missing something - looks really nice with great centering and wrap. It went just a few 100 more than the 9,2 with the horrible wrap. 

I said it before -for whatever reason 9.4s are soft in terms of price compared to all other 129 grades. maybe should be picking up more 9.4s at these prices - especially with where the 9,8s are going.

The 9.4 has ow/w pages and that's why it 'under-performed' relative to the uglier looking 9.2

If the 9.4 had white pages, it would have hit $8K, possibly a bit more.

21 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Curious how much of a bump this got due to the pedigree hm. $10K more, $20K more, tough to say. Super impressive sale regardless!

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 6.11.02 PM.png

Well, there was a 9.8 ow/w on Clink's Exchange that sat at slightly over $30K for a few days with no takers.  But as the Mass Pedigree copy went to $38K, I believe the price on the copy on the Exchange was raised to $35K, and once the Mass Pedigree auction ended at $55.1K, the copy on the Exchange was jacked up to $53K. 

There is also another 9.8 available on ebay for $75K (was 53K prior to the sale of the Mass Pedigree copy)

37 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Well, there was a 9.8 ow/w on Clink's Exchange that sat at slightly over $30K for a few days with no takers.  But as the Mass Pedigree copy went to $38K, I believe the price on the copy on the Exchange was raised to $35K, and once the Mass Pedigree auction ended at $55.1K, the copy on the Exchange was jacked up to $53K. 

There is also another 9.8 available on ebay for $75K (was 53K prior to the sale of the Mass Pedigree copy)

I often get the sense that some dealers only list their books in the Exchange as show pieces. They’ll quickly raise their prices if they think for a moment the books are in actual danger of selling!

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The 9.4 has ow/w pages and that's why it 'under-performed' relative to the uglier looking 9.2

If the 9.4 had white pages, it would have hit $8K, possibly a bit more.

If that’s the case I just am amazed ow-w vs white makes that big a difference for collectors especially since you can’t even see interior pages in the Cgc case lol 

the 9.2 and 9.4 ended up being almost the same price 

Yet that 9.4 could visually pass as a 9.6

6 hours ago, rabidwolf said:

If that’s the case I just am amazed ow-w vs white makes that big a difference for collectors especially since you can’t even see interior pages in the Cgc case lol 

the 9.2 and 9.4 ended up being almost the same price 

Yet that 9.4 could visually pass as a 9.6

That’s what I’ve been telling Buzzeta here…white pages, no matter if you can see them on a slabbed book, command a premium.  The higher the grade, the greater the premium

On 5/26/2021 at 2:10 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

That’s what I’ve been telling Buzzeta here…white pages, no matter if you can see them on a slabbed book, command a premium.  The higher the grade, the greater the premium

To me, white pages means it was stored better. I'd rather have a 9.2W than a 9.4OW

5 hours ago, MattTheDuck said:

Like most of the stuff I was buying at the time, I didn't know/care about how important this book was and am lucky it came after the period where I was degrading books through ignorance.

ASM - 129.jpg

That’s a hi grade beauty😷👍‼️

Just catching up on this thread and can't pin where the high-end (9.8) will go after the Mass Ped sale. That $55k seems an outlier (like the $90k TMNT 1 9.8 sale in 2019). Also seems like things are cooling a bit... That said though the 9.8's may flush out of collections during this elevated price period but I think once they are soaked up they may not come out for a long long long time again. I saw somewhere a post that 9.8 is ~1% of available copies. That's an end-user sort of quantity; especially at these prices. All I can say with books like this is :)