• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, zosocane said:

I would agree with this.  The market, for now, says SC 30 is more desireable over Adv 260.  If one cares about what the market thinks.  Maybe the market is embracing that it is Aquaman’s first full-length book, not really the origin angle.  Who knows, but the sales data speaks.  All that said, I remember it wasn’t too long ago when the market was paying much more for WW 105 and a lot less for WW 98 (which I never understood).  And then a few years ago the valuations on those two books flip-flopped and WW 98 shot up.  Who knows whether Adv 260 will overtake SC 30.  Buy both books in grade and you’re covered!

I wish I could land a copy of SC 30, but its just too much for me to pay for that level of a key. Who knows? Maybe I'm only engaging in this debate, because I'm just jealous I cant land a copy of SC 30.

15 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

I 100% agree. Note what I meant by "crash." I stated:

Rarely will comics, or any collectible, over a decent period of time return to lower prices or less than lower prices, than a steady upward growth along a constant.

Take this for example: Imagine a book grows on average $2 a month. That growth will continue regularly and only change slowly. (usually) A book will only crash as far as it can, as it goes along with that constant of $2 a month. (again usually) So lets say in two years that book increases about $50 by the means of that constant. Let's say just for fun this book originally was worth $200. In that two years, 5 months prior the end of the two years, the book suddenly spiked, and rose $10 a month for 5 months, and then crashed. The book usually will not crash to below $250, because of its steady growth by a constant of $2 a month. It will have peeked at $300. So in the end in those two years the book grew by a steady constant of $2 a month to $250. But in the middle it peaked at $300 and crashed and lost $50. The book only crashed the amount that it grew, but since the book was moving at a slow constant of $2 a month, it still gained value. Note: this is purely a hypothetical situation. Now this is usually how collectibles increase in value. Silver Age books haven't been observed for that long of a time, so this model could be completely inaccurate. But it is still interesting to take into account, and is the reason I don't consider a lot of the Marvel Silver Age keys to be good investments, because yes it will increase in value, but maybe not at the point its at now.

A lot of good stuff coming from this "debate," I have surely enjoyed it.

Thank you for the explanation, I agree.

As have I. I appreciate the friendly debate! If only one of us could have the crystal ball necessary to get in on the next big books early :)

On 6/24/2018 at 10:22 PM, HuddyBee said:

It's as my good friend Isaac Newton put it, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

This is, unfortunately, a typical misuse of Newton’s 3rd Law of Motion.  It happens quite frequently, (again) unfortunately.

32 minutes ago, MusterMark said:

This is, unfortunately, a typical misuse of Newton’s 3rd Law of Motion.  It happens quite frequently, (again) unfortunately.

It's not a misuse if you keep in mind what I said earlier, "of course this change usually will occur alongside a steady upward moving constant." What I've said is true. Obviously Newton wasn't referring to comics when discovering these natural laws, but it can apply. If you don't understand it or what I meant by it, then read my post and all my posts explaining it. I have, for your convenience, quoted a quote of my quote below:

On 6/24/2018 at 11:00 PM, Howling Mad said:

Rarely will comics, or any collectible, over a decent period of time return to lower prices or less than lower prices, than a steady upward growth along a constant.

Take this for example: Imagine a book grows on average $2 a month. That growth will continue regularly and only change slowly. (usually) A book will only crash as far as it can, as it goes along with that constant of $2 a month. (again usually) So lets say in two years that book increases about $50 by the means of that constant. Let's say just for fun this book originally was worth $200. In that two years, 5 months prior the end of the two years, the book suddenly spiked, and rose $10 a month for 5 months, and then crashed. The book usually will not crash to below $250, because of its steady growth by a constant of $2 a month. It will have peeked at $300. So in the end in those two years the book grew by a steady constant of $2 a month to $250. But in the middle it peaked at $300 and crashed and lost $50. The book only crashed the amount that it grew, but since the book was moving at a slow constant of $2 a month, it still gained value. Note: this is purely a hypothetical situation. Now this is usually how collectibles increase in value. Silver Age books haven't been observed for that long of a time, so this model could be completely inaccurate. But it is still interesting to take into account, and is the reason I don't consider a lot of the Marvel Silver Age keys to be good investments, because yes it will increase in value, but maybe not at the point its at now.

As you can see I explained what I meant by my using Newtons 3rd Law of Motion. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, which will (usually w/ comics) occur along a slowly upward moving constant. If you read all that I said and took it into account, you would realize it is not an unfortunate use of his Law of Motion. But, unfortunately, it seems you did not read all that I posted. As you would put it:

32 minutes ago, MusterMark said:

It happens quite frequently, (again) unfortunately.

Edited by HuddyBee

Anywho, anyone been noticing Hawkman #4, the first Zatanna, has been heating up recently. I've seen a decent amount of low to mid grade copies sell for a lot more recently (the past year or so), not so much with the high grades though. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

Anywho, anyone been noticing Hawkman #4, the first Zatanna, has been heating up recently. I've seen a decent amount of low to mid grade copies sell for a lot more recently (the past year or so), not so much with the high grades though. Thoughts?

Someone asked John Haines (big local dealert) at a local Con last weekend which book he thought was the hottest Silver-Age book right now and I was kind of shocked he said Hawkman 4 over MSH 13.  he said he can't keep them in stop no matter how high he prices them.

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Someone asked John Haines (big local dealert) at a local Con last weekend which book he thought was the hottest Silver-Age book right now and I was kind of shocked he said Hawkman 4 over MSH 13.  he said he can't keep them in stop no matter how high he prices them.

Yeah, I've really only been looking on Ebay, since I really can't seem to find many at cons. I got a copy about 2 years ago, a 1.8 for about $50, (for my Hawkman run) which thought was a pretty good deal, since then we've seen 1.8's for $100+. I don't really know why its been heating up though. It's not a super common book, so that could be part it. but other than that I got no idea. (aside from it being 1st zatanna of course) ???  

Edited by HuddyBee

On 4/4/2018 at 2:51 PM, gadzukes said:

In the meantime, I've picked these up over the last few years.  Namor is a cool character.  I'm pretty sure they'll omit his wings though if he makes it to the silver screen.

Got a pretty good price on all of these, but it's tough to find any good prices any more.  I need a CF on that Subby 1..... anyone have one for me?

a1.jpg

Well, at least I know why I'm unable to find a decent copy!  Thats just awesome!

Marvel Super Heroes 13 continues to climb and what makes this interesting is very few eBay sellers are listing high grade copies. I know high grade is scarce based on census data but it seems like collectors are holding on believing there are more gains to be made.  There is only one 9.0 on eBay priced at $6k and one 8.0.  It's both crazy and cool to see the a Grail exploding like this. 

4 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Nobody cares she isn’t on the cover?

Check the prices and see who doesn't care.  And check Iron Man 55 too!  And Strange Tales 110.  And Olsen 134! 

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

Check the prices and see who doesn't care.  And check Iron Man 55 too!  And Strange Tales 110.  And Olsen 134! 

And IH180! Oh wait...

The books you referenced, especially ST110, would be far more expensive if the character making their first appearance was on the cover. This book’s ceiling will most likely be limited for the same reason...unfortunately... That’s not to say it’s immune from movie spec though...obviously...

8 hours ago, Bronx said:

Marvel Super Heroes 13 continues to climb and what makes this interesting is very few eBay sellers are listing high grade copies. I know high grade is scarce based on census data but it seems like collectors are holding on believing there are more gains to be made.  There is only one 9.0 on eBay priced at $6k and one 8.0.  It's both crazy and cool to see the a Grail exploding like this. 

I had my whole raw collection graded last year, and I was disappointed that my MSH #12 came back 9.2.  I didn't think much about the fact that #13 came back 9.4 -- I just thought "OK, one less book I have to upgrade."

Well, I'm still in search of #12 in 9.4 but I now realize how glad I should be that I'm not in the market for #13!

I'm hearing all this talk about MSH 13, and have been for a while, but what about what my man 1Cool said, Hawkman 4 anyone?

On 6/27/2018 at 2:36 PM, 1Cool said:

2 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

Hawkman #4 is cool.  I have a few high grade and its a steady riser but MS13 is a rocket ship because Carol Danvers is going to be in two huge movies and looks to the center piece of the Marvel movie franchise.  That's huge.  Hawk 4 will get white hot once Zantana is guaranteed a movie role but hasn't happened yet.  

2 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

I'm hearing all this talk about MSH 13, and have been for a while, but what about what my man 1Cool said, Hawkman 4 anyone?

4 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I had my whole raw collection graded last year, and I was disappointed that my MSH #12 came back 9.2.  I didn't think much about the fact that #13 came back 9.4 -- I just thought "OK, one less book I have to upgrade."

Well, I'm still in search of #12 in 9.4 but I now realize how glad I should be that I'm not in the market for #13!

Great story Sweet Lou.  :banana: Sell that MS 13 9.4 and you can get several MS 12 9.4's.  MS 13 is absolutely impossible to find in 9.4.  Is that the highest graded?  That's a nice problem to have.  

24 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Great story Sweet Lou.  :banana: Sell that MS 13 9.4 and you can get several MS 12 9.4's.  MS 13 is absolutely impossible to find in 9.4.  Is that the highest graded?  That's a nice problem to have.  

Near Mint/Mint       9.8     1
Near Mint +           9.6     8
Near Mint              9.4     23
Near Mint -            9.2     21

On 6/28/2018 at 12:19 PM, Callaway29 said:

Nobody cares she isn’t on the cover?

I think Carol Danvers is a special case here as she was only a supporting character at the time, so obviously couldn't be on the cover. The name Captain Marvel is on the cover though, and the cover also reflects the story that she is in, unlike Strange Tales 110.. People point to Ms Marvel #1 as being more important as it's her first cover appearance and first time with powers, but like Tony Stark and Steve Rogers in the movies, it's Carol Danvers who will  be important, not the hero identity. That's why MSH #13 is the book to have in regards to Carol, IMO.