• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:28 PM, Sea Monster said:

I think Carol Danvers is a special case here as she was only a supporting character at the time, so obviously couldn't be on the cover. The name Captain Marvel is on the cover though, and the cover also reflects the story that she is in, unlike Strange Tales 110.. People point to Ms Marvel #1 as being more important as it's her first cover appearance and first time with powers, but like Tony Stark and Steve Rogers in the movies, it's Carol Danvers who will  be important, not the hero identity. That's why MSH #13 is the book to have in regards to Carol, IMO.

With a lot of talk about MSH 13 it sounds like we need a club!  My copy is not worthy enough to start it, however....

5 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

ASM 3 has always been a pretty hot and popular book to own/buy. I believe it has overtaken #2 in value recently?

Doc Ock > Vulture... it should be doing better than #2.

Remember about 15 years ago when FF4 & FF5 were basically the same price?  Look at the difference between the two now (although I think subby is going to start kickin butt)

1 minute ago, gadzukes said:
5 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

ASM 3 has always been a pretty hot and popular book to own/buy. I believe it has overtaken #2 in value recently?

Doc Ock > Vulture... it should be doing better than #2.

Remember about 15 years ago when FF4 & FF5 were basically the same price?  Look at the difference between the two now (although I think subby is going to start kickin butt)

Agreed!  Doc Ock is such a cooler villain and I like the cover better too!  I would even put ASM #4 over ASM #2, but that's just me.  

I keep an eye out for FF Annual 6 copies on E-Bay and for some reason there has been a huge surge in books sold over the last couple days.  A CGC 9.4 just sold for $2k!  Was there some news I missed?

2 hours ago, Pontoon said:

That thread is over 2 years old.  Are people just speculating hardcore right now about anything FF?

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

That thread is over 2 years old.  Are people just speculating hardcore right now about anything FF?

It's the first appearance of Annihilus, a villain that people are speculating might show up in a future movie.  I don't think (?) there's any specific reason to believe this, just that the MCU is definitely into space adventures and alternate dimension adventures, and Annihilus is part of both.  Personally I do not consider Annihilus to be a particularly interesting villain, but I guess good writers can make something of him.

It's also the first appearance of Franklin Richards, a character that (AFAIK) nobody likes so that can't be the reason it's spiking.  :whistle:

7 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I keep an eye out for FF Annual 6 copies on E-Bay and for some reason there has been a huge surge in books sold over the last couple days.  A CGC 9.4 just sold for $2k!  Was there some news I missed?

Providing this info purely for those trying to track the trajectory of the book, but I made FF Annual #6 a priority this summer and was able to buy a 9.4 OW/W for $1,350 in June. 

1513761520_FantasticFourAnnual6CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.af07b4c68afbd9fa5df12a97c0ff00b3.jpg

At the time, I remember thinking I was paying well above GPA, but I don't recall where GPA was at the time.  Maybe in the $800-$1000 range?

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

People have been sweet on Annihilus’ FA as an undervalued buy for a few years now; this interest survived even the Josh Trank film.  IMO he’s one of the most important FF foes after Doom & Galactus, especially given his connection to the Negative Zone which is so important to FF lore.  I think the value will continue to rise.  I don’t own one but bought and sold several in the past few years.

Edited by Heronext

13 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Providing this info purely for those trying to track the trajectory of the book, but I made FF Annual #6 a priority this summer and was able to buy a 9.4 OW/W for $1,350 in June. 

1513761520_FantasticFourAnnual6CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.af07b4c68afbd9fa5df12a97c0ff00b3.jpg

At the time, I remember thinking I was paying well above GPA, but I don't recall where GPA was at the time.  Maybe in the $800-$1000 range?

My recollection too, this was about a $1K book about a year ago.

Any 9.8s in the census yet?

38 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Not as relevant anymore, but James Gunn was openly sweet on annihilus and badly wanted to introduce him.

Makes sense, as Annihilus was the key figure in the 2000s "Annihilation" storyline that Marvel used to bring together all of its cosmic characters, from Silver Surfer to Nova to Star-Lord.  I am fairly certain that the FF didn't even appear in that storyline at all.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14