• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Warloc said:

At this point, MSH 12 is not and never will be in the same stratosphere that MSH 13 is in. If the 1st appearance of Carol Danvers isn’t already a major key, it will be after she transcends comics and becomes a cultural icon/household name next year after her movie and Avengers 4 hits screens. Mar Vell is now a minor character who will stay dead in the Marvel Universe, whereas Carol Danvers is about to become a flagship character of the MCU and adorn little girls’ lunchboxes and backpacks across the world.

Well thank you for your speculation. But this thread is about books that are heating up. If you want to tout the greatness of MSH 13 more power to you but this isn't the speculation thread. All I said was MSH 12 is heating up and hitting new highs but its still much cheaper than 13. I didn't say it should be worth more or even the same

20 hours ago, Rezin1234 said:

Well thank you for your speculation. But this thread is about books that are heating up. If you want to tout the greatness of MSH 13 more power to you but this isn't the speculation thread. All I said was MSH 12 is heating up and hitting new highs but its still much cheaper than 13. I didn't say it should be worth more or even the same

Ah, ok. I was just responding to your phrase "closing the gap." From observing the market, the gap is widening. While MSH 12 has seen an uptick in value of a few hundred dollars for high grade copies, MSH 13 has seen an uptick of thousands of dollars for high grade copies. But yeah, I'd agree that MSH 12, being the first appearance of Mar-Vell and the Captain Marvel storyline, which I think will be heavily adapted in the upcoming movie (Jude Law's credits are "Mar-Vell / Dr. Walter Lawson), is heating up and will get hotter once the Captain Marvel trailer drops...next month?

Edited by Warloc

22 hours ago, Warloc said:
On 8/27/2018 at 8:00 PM, Rezin1234 said:

One Book I don't think anyone has mentioned is Marvel Superheroes 12. Book has been hitting new highs as of late. Still significantly cheaper than 13 but does seem to be closing the gap

At this point, MSH 12 is not and never will be in the same stratosphere that MSH 13 is in. If the 1st appearance of Carol Danvers isn’t already a major key, it will be after she transcends comics and becomes a cultural icon/household name next year after her movie and Avengers 4 hits screens. Mar Vell is now a minor character who will stay dead in the Marvel Universe, whereas Carol Danvers is about to become a flagship character of the MCU and adorn little girls’ lunchboxes and backpacks across the world.

That could change at any time. A year ago, most collectors could never have told you what the first appearance of Carol Danvers was. 

Nothing is forever in comics, and nothing is guaranteed.

This one just fetched a price 25% over the previous GPA all-time high.  It's been underappreciated for a while as the first Gold Key book with an original character, with a really cool painted Sci-Fi cover, and being from 1962 with real scarcity in high grade:

DrSolar1front.thumb.jpg.ef82135ea7b7bf427447d1abfaf422ed.jpg

Edited by namisgr

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

This one just fetched a price 25% over the previous GPA all-time high.  It's been underappreciated for a while as the first Gold Key book with an original character, with a really cool painted Sci-Fi cover, and being from 1962 with real scarcity in high grade:

Was watching this. EXPLODED from ~$1,500 just 45 minutes prior to close.

I figured if I could grab it for $3K it would be a great pick-up, hot damn though. The (1) 9.6 may never come to the market, so it might as well be the highest graded for now. Just crazy!

6 hours ago, namisgr said:

Your copy, right?

Congratulations on a great price.

3 hours ago, Rosland said:

Your copy, right?

Congratulations on a great price.

Yes it was, thanks Erik.  You must be pleased that the entire run and the Fantucchio run both did really well.

19 hours ago, namisgr said:

I think that deserves its own topic. :grin:

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:14 AM, namisgr said:

Yes it was, thanks Erik.  You must be pleased that the entire run and the Fantucchio run both did really well.

Always fun to see something one likes appreciated by a wider audience.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:30 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Did you pick up the # 5 and/or # 20 from this week's Comiclink auction?

I put in reasonable bids but had no interest in chasing them into the stratosphere.

4 hours ago, kimik said:

Looks like MSH 12 and FF 2 should see a more serious lift: https://ew.com/movies/captain-marvel-first-look-images/

When I saw those pictures I felt so happy that the one super early FF key I've picked up is #2.

From the pics Ronan also appears to be in this movie, so I guess FF #65 could get another small bump.

Also Amazing Spider-Man Annual #16, the first appearance of that other Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau.  But that's not a Silver Age book obviously.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

When I saw those pictures I felt so happy that the one super early FF key I've picked up is #2.

From the pics Ronan also appears to be in this movie, so I guess FF #65 could get another small bump.

Also Amazing Spider-Man Annual #16, the first appearance of that other Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau.  But that's not a Silver Age book obviously.

Yeah, I also grabbed a FF#2 mid-grade a couple years ago at a relative bargain. That’s a book that seems to be slowly gaining steam.

F6E07793-551D-44E0-AA3B-189B25FD0256.jpeg

15 hours ago, Warloc said:

Yeah, I also grabbed a FF#2 mid-grade a couple years ago at a relative bargain. That’s a book that seems to be slowly gaining steam.

FF2 has left the station and is flammable right now.   So good to see classic FF books like FF2 getting their long-overdue respect.

Meh. The run-up has everything to do with hype and dollar signs. Prices were relatively flat for years until the Disney/Fox acquisition. These kinds of huge leaps are always based on speculation and have little to do with love of storyline or the book itself. Although I don't think FF #2 will be dropping down substantially post-movie release, like many other super-villain hype books do.

Edited by Dick Pontoon
Blowie says Greggy is a dork.