• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
27 27

4,098 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2019 at 4:42 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

i hate when this happens because it means every dealer overprices their copy now in the mistaken belief that there is a new standard set, from a single outlier sale. (see the for sale boards to see a ridiculously priced copy of this very book.)

So true. All we have to do is take a copy of Sleepwalker 1 and have a friend purchase it on eBay for $500.00 no need to confirm the buy. And there you have it- the "market has determined the price." We can sell a few more around that range to solidify the market rate. Theories will surface about Sleepwalker's appearing in an upcoming Pampers commercial justifying the increase in price. Sellers will raise the prices to match the fmv (false market value) of this major key. Submissions of this book for pressing will jump. The 90s Marvel Comic's megakey! Lol 

15 hours ago, jharvey said:

Fantastic Four #4 is shooting up in value across all grades.

A CGC 5.5 recently sold for $3,900 on ebay. Previous sale price for a CGC 5.5 four months ago was $2,284

Long a sleeper. Very parallel in many ways to Avengers 4, though earlier and tougher in grade.  :cloud9:

Definitely. I snagged a couple of copies of FF #4 (CGC 5.5 and CGC 7.0) in November/December 2018 thinking it was overdue for a jump. The CGC 7.0 copy was a mistake that will work out - I was putting in proxy bids late at night on a Heritage auction after a few drinks and thought for sure that I was bidding on FF #5 instead of the FF #4 CGC 7.0. Thank goodness my bid was not run up to the level it was really at for an FF #5 instead. lol 

Edited by kimik

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

Definitely. I snagged a couple of copies of FF #4 (CGC 5.5 and CGC 7.0) in November/December 2018 thinking it was overdue for a jump. The CGC 7.0 copy was a mistake that will work out - I was putting in proxy bids late at night on a Heritage auction after a few drinks and thought for sure that I was bidding on FF #5 instead of the FF #4 CGC 7.0. Thank goodness my bid was not run up to the level it was really at for an FF #5 instead. lol 

Speaking from personal experience, drinking during comic auctions has led to many expensive hangovers... :facepalm:

On 3/7/2019 at 6:00 PM, jharvey said:

Fantastic Four #4 is shooting up in value across all grades.

A CGC 5.5 recently sold for $3,900 on ebay. Previous sale price for a CGC 5.5 four months ago was $2,284

I sold too early!

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Why am I hearing a lot of chatter about X-Men 9?

Probably because it's the first X-Men vs. Avengers issue and people are imagining an Avengers/X-Men crossover or fight at some point in the MCU now that Marvel has regained the Fox rights?

42 minutes ago, Drummy said:

Probably because it's the first X-Men vs. Avengers issue and people are imagining an Avengers/X-Men crossover or fight at some point in the MCU now that Marvel has regained the Fox rights?

I've thought about that a long time ago, I'm sure an Avengers/X-Men fight in the MCU won't happen for a long time.  

I wonder if it is more tied to 1st Lucipher and Xavier losing use of legs than Avengers since demand for X-Men 20 has seen an uptick as well.

Prices on X-Men 10 have been jumping as well.

Edited by kimik

Seems like SS1, SS3 and SS4 have seen nice rises as of late and the last year or so. I imagine with Marvel getting the rights back to the Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer, it seems like people feel he’ll be brought out again and done right. So could see Mephisto get pulled into the cinematic universe or a Thor/SS meeting, although I know Chris Hemsworth’s contract is up I believe? But no word that he’ll never be in a movie again as Thor. But movie potential news aside, I’ve definitely noticed an uptick in those books. Also have to just recognize the covers are badass!!!!

I have mixed feelings about FF 4 because sure its an early FF issue and sure its the 1st SA Sub-Mariner but its far from his 1st appearance. He was gone for 7 years in the mid 50's /very early 60's just like Captain America. Sure its a key but I feel its a bit over-rated. I'm thinking about selling my 4.0 and putting it towards a Marvel Mega key, maybe an X-Men 1 or a Daredevil 1.

Edited by Dinosaur jr.

1 hour ago, Dinosaur jr. said:

I have mixed feelings about FF 4 because sure its an early FF issue and sure its the 1st SA Sub-Mariner but its far from his 1st appearance. He was gone for 7 years in the mid 50's /very early 60's just like Captain America. Sure its a key but I feel its a bit over-rated. I'm thinking about selling my 4.0 and putting it towards a Marvel Mega key, maybe an X-Men 1 or a Daredevil 1.

For whatever my humble opinion is worth, I agree that X-Men #1 is a mega key and that it's a good bet to grow in value at a greater rate than FF #4.  However, I wouldn't put DD #1 in the same class.  The good news about DD #1 is that you can get a nicer grade for the same money as an FF #4, whereas you'd have to downgrade to get an X-Men #1 for the same money.

The other small bit of unasked-for advice I'll provide is that unfortunately, most of the time selling is costly.  The more quickly and more often you turn over your investments, the more you end up having to give away in value, especially if you consign or sell through an auction site.  So if you have the luxury of holding your existing investment and making a second investment in another book, you'll probably be better off in the long run.  But by all means, if you're able to get full value in cash or trade (perhaps through the boards), make the switch to the book that's going to give you more satisfaction.  Just don't let on to the buyer that you think your FF #4 is "a bit over-rated"!!  :p

I completely agree. At this point I would "trade in" my FF 4 for a Daredevil 1 of the same grade. I know going for an X-Men one would cost more.

And selling is costly I know. I usually figure it to be around 15% on ebuy between them and PP. Paypal, what a scam don't get me started on them. And now in my state I have to pay 7% in sales tax when I buy. I'm gong to start using comiclink more for my expensive stuff mostly to avoid paypal plus lower the risk factor. Well getting off topic. Back on topic FF 4 is a great book I know, I'm just not that into it. But I'm a hypocrite too because I love my Avengers 4 and I never want to sell that. Then again its Captain Freaking America we're talkin.