• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
27 27

4,098 posts in this topic

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:17 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Seems like SS1, SS3 and SS4 have seen nice rises as of late and the last year or so. I imagine with Marvel getting the rights back to the Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer, it seems like people feel he’ll be brought out again and done right. So could see Mephisto get pulled into the cinematic universe or a Thor/SS meeting, although I know Chris Hemsworth’s contract is up I believe? But no word that he’ll never be in a movie again as Thor. But movie potential news aside, I’ve definitely noticed an uptick in those books. Also have to just recognize the covers are badass!!!!

I think there's interest across the whole series, but I the interest in #3 is interesting.   It's the tough one in the run.

20 hours ago, Microchip said:

I think there's interest across the whole series, but I the interest in #3 is interesting.   It's the tough one in the run.

Yeah #3 has definitely been hot. A 9.8 of #4 though just sold pretty solidly though, with another 9.8 coming to auction.

25 minutes ago, jeffreyk said:

I just noticed Journey into Mystery Annual 1 (Thor) has been shooting up in price per gpa.  Anyone know why?

1st [MARVEL] Hercules is all I can figure. Not sure if there's a rumor or if it's just because it's a 1st App.

Is there any formal or even informal (has anyone ever met anyone) that has gone to a movie and then decided to go out and buy an expensive comic book because of it?  Comic collectors already know the big keys, so it seems like all this movie talk Is a bunch of people front running each other all with the idea that the book in question will go up after the movie, because why exactly?

1 hour ago, inovrmihd said:

Is there any formal or even informal (has anyone ever met anyone) that has gone to a movie and then decided to go out and buy an expensive comic book because of it?  Comic collectors already know the big keys, so it seems like all this movie talk Is a bunch of people front running each other all with the idea that the book in question will go up after the movie, because why exactly?

Yeah. Me. After Guardians of the Galaxy, I went and bought a graded copy of TTA #13 and a raw and graded copy of Hulk #271. Part of it was for investment, I saw long term quality in James Gunn's movie, but also because I wanted their first appearances.They've gone up a little in value since then, but I'll hold onto them for a little while because I like having them and I know I can probably sell them anytime, particularly Groot's first appearance.

The movies, particularly the MCU movies dictate market price mostly now. The Marvel Universe is no longer just the comics. The MCU is just as important and even more important than the comic books. It's all about the characters as intellectual property now. No longer are they just super-heroes on a page. They're global Hollywood stars, million dollar merchandise, characters at Disneyland. Where was TTA #13 before GOTG? It was a sub-$100 dollar book nobody wanted. Now it's worth upwards of $10,000 in higher grades and not coming down from those prices. 

It's all about the movies with Marvel books now. The MCU is the Marvel Universe.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

32 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yeah. Me. After Guardians of the Galaxy, I went and bought a graded copy of TTA #13 and a raw and graded copy of Hulk #271. Part of it was for investment, I saw long term quality in James Gunn's movie, but also because I wanted their first appearances.They've gone up a little in value since then, but I'll hold onto them for a little while because I like having them and I know I can probably sell them anytime, particularly Groot's first appearance.

The movies, particularly the MCU movies dictate market price mostly now. The Marvel Universe is no longer just the comics. The MCU is just as important and even more important than the comic books. It's all about the characters now. No longer are they just characters on a page, they're global Hollywood stars, merchandise, characters at Disneyland. Where was TTA #13 before GOTG? It was a sub-$100 dollar book nobody wanted. Now it's worth upwards of $10,000 in higher grades and not coming down from those prices. 

It's all about the movies with Marvel books now, because the MCU is the Marvel Universe.

Good example.  I guess I am talking about the “well known” keys.  I agree if it is a character even comic collectors weren’t really aware of, I can see the book going up in value.  My question is who is going to go out and buy a copy of FF1 or FF5 after seeing an FF movie?

On 6/3/2019 at 10:31 PM, inovrmihd said:

Good example.  I guess I am talking about the “well known” keys.  I agree if it is a character even comic collectors weren’t really aware of, I can see the book going up in value.  My question is who is going to go out and buy a copy of FF1 or FF5 after seeing an FF movie?

It's all hypothetical now as a MCU Fantastic Four movie has yet to be released. I don't think the previous FF movies did FF #1 did any favors for its market value as none of those movies were very good. But with the acquisition of the First Family by Marvel Studios, early key books have all shot up in demand and price. 

Maybe a better question, though, might be, after seeing the Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, or The Avengers movie, did that make people want to go out and buy copies of TOS #39, Avengers #1 or #4, or JIM #83? They were all good movies, great onscreen characters, and launched a cinematic revolution. And yes, the demand for those key issues increased after people watched them. And there's still a demand for them today even though the MCU is no longer a novel idea.

The demand for AF #15 hasn't been affected by the recent movie much but for good reason. That book transcends movies and is a holy grail of pop culture.

Demand for Strange Tales #110 and Fantastic Four #52 skyrocketed prior to the movies coming out, but now seems to have leveled out some. Overall though, demand has increased post movie release because they were good movies and the characters are great.

If Marvel Studios releases a Fantastic Four movie (will they?) and it turns out to be great, makes a billion dollars, and erases twenty years of cinema garbage, I think you will see more people (who can afford it) seeking out and buying Fantastic Four #1 as a result of being inspired by a great movie. But it has to be a good movie. 

On 5/31/2019 at 5:24 PM, rsouxlja7 said:

Two questions from someone who does not normally "speculate" on books:

1) Amazing Spider-Man 5 seems to have increased in value alongside FF5. Should I hold this book or keep holding for a Dr. Doom movie appearance?

2) I also have an ASM13 that I was wondering if I should sell now or if prices will continue to rise until the movie comes out in July. Any future upside beyond your typical value increases over time?

I would not sell any early Spiderman comics. They're only going to go up, not down. I would grab any under issue #20 that I could.

On 6/3/2019 at 9:30 PM, inovrmihd said:

A) None

B) Comic Book Pyramid Scheme

9 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

crickets.jpg

Actually someons who keeps up with such things said she was to have an expanded role

in upcoming movies as an investigative reporter(detective like role) but by all means

feel free to poke fun at my posts(tsk)

4 hours ago, ben parker said:

Actually someons who keeps up with such things said she was to have an expanded role

in upcoming movies as an investigative reporter(detective like role) but by all means

feel free to poke fun at my posts(tsk)

I am just not sure Lois Lane, even with an 'expanded' role in movies, is getting anybody excited.    I can take you to a store where you can buy Silver Age Lois Lane comics at $6 all day.