• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
27 27

4,098 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

I am just not sure Lois Lane, even with an 'expanded' role in movies, is getting anybody excited.    I can take you to a store where you can buy Silver Age Lois Lane comics at $6 all day. 

Point taken and you are probably right but sometimes stuff comes out of nowhere.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:31 PM, inovrmihd said:

Good example.  I guess I am talking about the “well known” keys.  I agree if it is a character even comic collectors weren’t really aware of, I can see the book going up in value.  My question is who is going to go out and buy a copy of FF1 or FF5 after seeing an FF movie?

It's actually really odd. You would think that with a character as well know as say The FF, it wouldn't fluctuate too much based on price. However we've seen this sort of thing before with even bigger books. Anyone remember the 9.4 copy of All-Star 8 that sold for just under 1mil on eBay after the movie came out? Oddly enough movies affect even the real big boys. I can't, for the life of me, imagine someone seeing Wonder Woman and then suddenly decide to drop 900k+ on her first app, but It happens.

12 hours ago, ben parker said:

Actually someons who keeps up with such things said she was to have an expanded role

in upcoming movies as an investigative reporter(detective like role) but by all means

feel free to poke fun at my posts(tsk)

hm Maybe it's time to stock up on her first appearance, just in case.

8 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I am just not sure Lois Lane, even with an 'expanded' role in movies, is getting anybody excited.    I can take you to a store where you can buy Silver Age Lois Lane comics at $6 all day. 

VF or better?

18 hours ago, Mercury Man said:
22 hours ago, ben parker said:

Actually someons who keeps up with such things said she was to have an expanded role

in upcoming movies as an investigative reporter(detective like role) but by all means

feel free to poke fun at my posts(tsk)

Nothing surprises me anymore. When previously minor throwaway characters that no one cared about like Rocket Raccoon and Squirrel Girl become super hot and highly sought after, anything is possible. 

19 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

You can get low grade Lois books inexpensively, but higher grade are tough. People actually read them.

I've always expected her to have a bigger role in the future, there are more and more women going to the movies and becoming aware of characters. She's been evolving a little ever since the early tv show, not so much of a ditz in the Christopher Reeves movies and certainly not a ditz when played by Amy Adams.

On 6/7/2019 at 9:49 AM, skypinkblu said:

You can get low grade Lois books inexpensively, but higher grade are tough. People actually read them.

I've always expected her to have a bigger role in the future, there are more and more women going to the movies and becoming aware of characters. She's been evolving a little ever since the early tv show, not so much of a ditz in the Christopher Reeves movies and certainly not a ditz when played by Amy Adams.

For my money, her best incarnation was on Smallville.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:25 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah #3 has definitely been hot. A 9.8 of #4 though just sold pretty solidly though, with another 9.8 coming to auction.

It'll be interesting to see the results for the #4.

The clink had 4 #15 9.8's come through, all $5k plus sales, without a fault.

On 5/31/2019 at 5:24 PM, rsouxlja7 said:

Two questions from someone who does not normally "speculate" on books:

1) Amazing Spider-Man 5 seems to have increased in value alongside FF5. Should I hold this book or keep holding for a Dr. Doom movie appearance?

2) I also have an ASM13 that I was wondering if I should sell now or if prices will continue to rise until the movie comes out in July. Any future upside beyond your typical value increases over time?

ASM 5 cover is such a cool classic Marvel cover - early Spidey and first Doom crossover.  Seems like it hasn't gotten as much love as 1-4, 9, 13-15 in the early run because it doesn't have a first appearance, but still lots going for it IMHO especially with 1-4 getting seriously pricey.

On 6/14/2019 at 12:42 PM, Getoutandstayout said:

Ok, think me crazy, but for some reason I have this feeling about Metamorpho. His first appearance - holy cow, a mid-grade can be had at only $300 or so. I just think that this character is vastly underrated and would be so much fun to make into a movie, and I'll bet I'm not the only one thinking that. And you know what happens to first appearances when movie plans leak out. This is going to be the next significant comic I buy.

Metamorpho-BATB-57.jpg

MM needs a gritty reboot.  that outfit ain't gonna translate to modern audiences in live action formats.  but if he got a Vertigo reboot with a more 'modern' feel, i agree with you, the potential is pretty much off the charts; his powers are so well-suited to modern FX

18 hours ago, Sal said:

MM needs a gritty reboot.  that outfit ain't gonna translate to modern audiences in live action formats.  but if he got a Vertigo reboot with a more 'modern' feel, i agree with you, the potential is pretty much off the charts; his powers are so well-suited to modern FX

+1

But part of that reboot will be Metamorpha, but that's ok compared to many of the other switches.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:34 AM, shiverbones said:

If there are actually any comic collectors who aren’t only about movie hype left, all of these dc silver firsts are eventually going to seem like the ridiculous bargains they are. The more they get outpaced by marvel, the more they are begging for a deserved increase.

Shhhh...I completely agree but let's not let the secret out.