• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
27 27

4,098 posts in this topic

Sub-Mariner 1 selling well today and past few days. 

Seems to trend up every year as I remember it doing so August of 2018.

Suby has always been a solid book and solid seller though I believe all the web rumors about him being introduced in Black Panther 2 as the main antagonist is giving it its new "spec drive" 

I just bought a copy myself (not on the bayl seeing as how I've wanted this book for years but never picked one up... 

Figure it's now or never because once there's an official announcement this issue would be beyond what I would want to spend. 

Screenshot_20190802-142520.png

Edited by Shoomanfoo
Typo

18 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Avengers 47 is on FIRE on eBay! Just check out the "sold' ones over the last 24 hours. It's the first appearance of Dane Whitman.

Avengers #48 is right there with it, and I personally think that is a better pick over #47. The reason I say that, is that I think this might shake out the same way the first appearance of Scott Lang/Ant-Man has, where as Marvel Premiere #47, the issue where Scott becomes Ant-Man and is featured on the cover, has overtaken Scott's actual first appearance in Avengers #181, as far as demand/value goes.

Edited by Illustrious

1 hour ago, Illustrious said:

Avengers #48 is right there with it, and I personally think that is a better pick over #47. The reason I say that, is that I think this might shake out the same way the first appearance of Scott Lang/Ant-Man has, where as Marvel Premiere #47, the issue where Scott becomes Ant-Man and is featured on the cover, has overtaken Scott's actual first appearance in Avengers #181, as far as demand/value goes.

I like this analogy. That makes Black Knight 1 the equivalent to TTA 27.

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

As far as Dane Whitman, 48 is it...surprised 47 is being discussed honestly...

Every comic reference source I have looked at says #47 is the first appearance of Dane Whitman (full disclosure I have a 47 :roflmao:).  That being said he doesn't become the BK until #48 and #48 defiantly has a better cover.  I have not read #47 or #48 so I guess I really can't say which should be the key but the media seems to be saying the Kitt will be playing Dane Whitman in the headlines (not so much the BK until you read the article, this is semantics I know) so I hope the market sides with #47 but I am biased! 

Are there any die hard Silver Age Avengers fans that can give us their opinion on whether 47 or 48 should be the key that have actually read these books?

On 8/2/2019 at 2:32 PM, Shoomanfoo said:

Sub-Mariner 1 selling well today and past few days. 

Seems to trend up every year as I remember it doing so August of 2018.

Suby has always been a solid book and solid seller though I believe all the web rumors about him being introduced in Black Panther 2 as the main antagonist is giving it its new "spec drive" 

I just bought a copy myself (not on the bayl seeing as how I've wanted this book for years but never picked one up... 

Figure it's now or never because once there's an official announcement this issue would be beyond what I would want to spend. 

Screenshot_20190802-142520.png

dont forget Xmen 6 - early Magneto / Brotherhood & Submariner Kirby cover 1964

On 8/29/2019 at 10:14 AM, Keep_It_Clunky said:

Does Tales to Astonish #52 benefit from all this Black Knight hoopla?

That is a very good question.

Debut of Nathan Garrett in very early Giant-Man/Wasp team up and one of the first duo's 'big' baddies.

It should, but how much will depend on if there is any relationship/link between Whitman and Garrett in the Eternals movie - if any at all.

I would be very suprised if all 3 books didn't benefit but by how much and for how long will slowly reveal itself.

On 8/25/2019 at 11:05 AM, Gruson said:

Isn’t 47 kind of like Carol Danvers first app?

Yes, I seem to recall Avengers #47 has 3 pages with Dane Whitman but he does not dawn the Black Knight :) costume until #48(?).

12 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Marvel should rename the Eternals movie to “The Black Knight and Some Eternals Or Something.”

I think the Black Knight is going to be big. I have a raw 48 on ebay right now for a ridiculous ask and I'm thinking about pulling it down.

I could see an introduction in the Eternals and then a monster prequel GOT type trilogy with Kit Harrington.

On 8/25/2019 at 3:52 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Every comic reference source I have looked at says #47 is the first appearance of Dane Whitman (full disclosure I have a 47 :roflmao:).  That being said he doesn't become the BK until #48 and #48 defiantly has a better cover.  I have not read #47 or #48 so I guess I really can't say which should be the key but the media seems to be saying the Kitt will be playing Dane Whitman in the headlines (not so much the BK until you read the article, this is semantics I know) so I hope the market sides with #47 but I am biased! 

Are there any die hard Silver Age Avengers fans that can give us their opinion on whether 47 or 48 should be the key that have actually read these books?

47:

z1.JPG

z2.JPG

z3.JPG

25 minutes ago, Key Largo Comics said:

Thanks for posting these pages. They don't seem to debunk anything really. Dane Whitman and his uncle Nathan Garrett as Black Knight.

+ he's in 3 more panels after this later in the comic which I did not post, where he gets knocked out by Magneto