• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

yeah. it got speced on then forgotten. Better than most other books I seen mentioned. 

Kids don't want these old books, all modern. I think the silver heating up will only get 3 books a year. 

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Myowncollector said:

yeah. it got speced on then forgotten. Better than most other books I seen mentioned. 

Kids don't want these old books, all modern. I think the silver heating up will only get 3 books a year. 

I'm a 54 year old kid. I want them.

Have you ever heard the phrase "collect what you like"? There is no need to denigrate this fine thread.

55 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I'm a 54 year old kid. I want them.

Have you ever heard the phrase "collect what you like"? There is no need to denigrate this fine thread.

Calling it like I see it. I personally mainly collect gold and silver. But the under 30 crowd? If you sell books or pay attention to them on social media you will see what they want. I got bunions older than books that they call grails.

Just now, Myowncollector said:

Sounds like you need your head examined.

I think you misunderstand me. You feel the market price for every book matches what you would like to or expect to pay for it? Nothing has risen faster than you are comfortable shelling out for?

Just now, PeterPark said:

I think you misunderstand me. You feel the market price for every book matches what you would like to or expect to pay for it? Nothing has risen faster than you are comfortable shelling out for?

I was just making a lame one liner. Had no thought or meaning to it.

But yeah I feel that way about majority of keys. Went from treating comics as a collector to now more like a market investor. He will probably show up in movie and book will double so not a terrible buy. Don't see it going down.

2 hours ago, shiverbones said:

Wait. What does buy, sell, hold have to do with collecting?

nothing--- some people think this is an investment scheme, not a hobby

It is how they end up being ignored by me going forward. All they care about is money. They will deny it but previous actions speak volumes.

4 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

nothing--- some people think this is an investment scheme, not a hobby

It is how they end up being ignored by me going forward. All they care about is money. They will deny it but previous actions speak volumes.

I don’t have an unlimited budget and have to make decisions on which books to keep and which I have to move in order to upgrade. I went from 200 slabs to 9 and it was painful having to sell some of my smaller books. 

I’m not trying to overpay so yeah, I do care about money/costs as well. As for being ignored - I think you’re doing me a favour. 

10 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Calling it like I see it. I personally mainly collect gold and silver. But the under 30 crowd? If you sell books or pay attention to them on social media you will see what they want. I got bunions older than books that they call grails.

I feel that's a mass generalization. I'm in the under 30 crowd and my grail is a 1942 book. I like modern stories like Civil War and all that, but personally collecting I never go past bronze age. My favorite time period is Golden because of the rich history. So while the majority may be how you see it, not all are

4 hours ago, c_mkv said:

I don’t have an unlimited budget and have to make decisions on which books to keep and which I have to move in order to upgrade. I went from 200 slabs to 9 and it was painful having to sell some of my smaller books. 

I’m not trying to overpay so yeah, I do care about money/costs as well. As for being ignored - I think you’re doing me a favour. 

First, I never responded to you that I am aware of and don't have any idea what or how you collect. But I guess that struck a nerve when it was merely a comment directed very specifically to another person who constantly tries to push their particular modus operandi on the rest of us as if theirs is the only way.

It is not. I also never said money/value is not a consideration- I have extreme limits to my ability to buy more items. I have 2 books encapsulated and those were won from others here in contests. Much happier having all my raw books. But I also don't push that opinion on others or neg them for what they collect.

I just find some folks either act like knowitalls or condescending to others. That was what I saw happening here (and not the first time the same person was doing it). If you took offense to that, you might either fit the category or be misreading the intent. I sure as heck am not some big time collector. Not even close

And one last thjng...  there may be a handful of silver age that do heat up bit to most of us, they have just been simmering for decades. This thread is sort an afterthought to me.

I think the most recent SA book I discovered heating up was Modok in TOS 94 and that was probably just me not paying attention.

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

.....a comment directed very specifically to another person who constantly tries to push their particular modus operandi on the rest of us as if theirs is the only way......

Soo maybe I need my coffee before responding in the morning...my bad

34 minutes ago, c_mkv said:

Soo maybe I need my coffee before responding in the morning...my bad

I tend to either tag people or quote them when I am talking directly.

No coffee required.

Several of us like to give that one member grief for some of the comments they make which seem somewhat disheveled.