• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

Just now, PeterPark said:

Ok, maybe this book is not quite heating up and is already decently expensive, but I think it is undervalued at least.

Tales of Suspense 49

2nd appearance of Iron Man's iconic red and gold armor

3rd appearance of the X-Men

3rd appearance of the Watcher and 1st solo Watcher story

Art by Steve Ditko

Always been a favorite of mine!

On 7/13/2020 at 8:39 AM, thor800 said:

DC Silver Age Keys have definitely not gotten much love compared to Marvel in the past 3 years - wonder when this will change

Marvel's "golden age" was the silver age.. DC's "golden age" was the golden age

I'm scratching my head over the skyrocketing price of FF #4 and the first Silver Age Sub-Mariner. He's not even made an appearance in the MCU yet, and already this book has passed Hulk #181 in value, as well as Avengers #4. It's crazy. What if his movie appearance is a dud? I can understand a spike in price, but not this Krakatoa.

I know a lot of this rise is comic speculation, but still, Wolverine has been around for 20 years in the movies; his first appearance should be solidly ahead of FF #4. About two years ago I almost got a 3.0 FF #4 for $1K. Now I'd pay double that. I've never seen a book increase in price so high so fast.

18 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

I'm scratching my head over the skyrocketing price of FF #4 and the first Silver Age Sub-Mariner. He's not even made an appearance in the MCU yet, and already this book has passed Hulk #181 in value, as well as Avengers #4. It's crazy. What if his movie appearance is a dud? I can understand a spike in price, but not this Krakatoa.

I know a lot of this rise is comic speculation, but still, Wolverine has been around for 20 years in the movies; his first appearance should be solidly ahead of FF #4. About two years ago I almost got a 3.0 FF #4 for $1K. Now I'd pay double that. I've never seen a book increase in price so high so fast.

You can't put a price on hype... It's a tougher book to find than Hulk 181 that's for certain .. even tougher than Avengers 4 I would say

16 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

It's all about the speculation!

People have to find the 'new blood' to roll the dice on.

Hulk #181 and Avengers #4 both in a little bit of a holding pattern for now.

FF #2 through #5 have all had a nice trend up.

Sub Mariner #1 has also jumped quite a bit.

2 minutes ago, littledoom said:

You can't put a price on hype... It's a tougher book to find than Hulk 181 that's for certain .. even tougher than Avengers 4 I would say

I bought a mid-grade FF #4 back in '90 or so for about $75, then like an id-iot sold it a few years later for some magic beans. Still kicking myself over that.

Edited by Getoutandstayout

2 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

I bought a mid-grade FF #4 back in '90 or so for about $75, then like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person sold it a few years later for some magic beans. Still kicking myself over that.

Magic beans haha

2 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

It's all about the speculation!

People have to find the 'new blood' to roll the dice on.

Hulk #181 and Avengers #4 both in a little bit of a holding pattern for now.

FF #2 through #5 have all had a nice trend up.

Sub Mariner #1 has also jumped quite a bit.

I've noticed that even with all the speculation going on over FF #4, it still hasn't overtaken FF #5 - the first Dr. Doom. I'd love to have that one (again). You can't get even a 3.0 for less than $2500 now. It's really going into the stratosphere.

Just now, Getoutandstayout said:

I've noticed that even with all the speculation going on over FF #4, it still hasn't overtaken FF #5 - the first Dr. Doom. I'd love to have that one (again). You can't get even a 3.0 for less than $2500 now. It's really going into the stratosphere.

Yes - FF #5 is really rocketing up. Seems like it has had some heat for a couple of years now.

It would take one heck of a movie/media/something to get Namor over the top of the good Doctor.

Doom has also been heavily speculated on as the next 'Thanos/mega-villain' for whatever the MCU might be building toward.

There have been many Doom appearances that have risen in price the past year or two.

4 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Yes - FF #5 is really rocketing up. Seems like it has had some heat for a couple of years now.

It would take one heck of a movie/media/something to get Namor over the top of the good Doctor.

Doom has also been heavily speculated on as the next 'Thanos/mega-villain' for whatever the MCU might be building toward.

There have been many Doom appearances that have risen in price the past year or two.

Agreed. It's inevitable that Doom will make another MCU appearance. If Disney can make him right this time, well, you know what will happen to FF #5. I just hope I can get a copy before that happens.

2 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

Agreed. It's inevitable that Doom will make another MCU appearance. If Disney can make him right this time, well, you know what will happen to FF #5. I just hope I can get a copy before that happens.

Hopefully a team up w Norman Osbourne ala Dark Reign/Siege type event 

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

Not sure what sales y’all are looking at but I’d argue FF4’s run-up hasn’t even started yet... And even if I did agree, it certainly wouldn’t be unprecedented...

Here's one data viewpoint for you.

FF 4 in cgc 7.0 (GPA)

The book roughly triples in value in a 15 year period (2002-2017)

Then it roughly triples in value again in a three year period (2017/18 to 2020)

I'd argue the run-up has already begun.

FF is just a title with some speculation/heat behind it right now, and the first 6 issues have jumped up the past 3 years (for the most part).

No - it's not unprecedented, but no one said that.

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 2.23.27 PM.png

5 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Here's one data viewpoint for you.

FF 4 in cgc 7.0 (GPA)

The book roughly triples in value in a 15 year period (2002-2017)

Then it roughly triples in value again in a three year period (2017/18 to 2020)

I'd argue the run-up has already begun.

FF is just a title with some speculation/heat behind it right now, and the first 6 issues have jumped up the past 3 years (for the most part).

No - it's not unprecedented, but no one said that.

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 2.23.27 PM.png

2 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

I've never seen a book increase in price so high so fast.

Actually yes, someone did say that...

Don’t have the time to produce an analysis, but I can tell you I certainly was not factoring in the last 15yrs lol. What key hasn’t increased multiples in that timeframe? None, so let’s just disregard that statement.

Spot checking various grades, going back a couple years, yields very “meh” results in price increase. But, data can be selectively sliced and diced to prove any point, so I’m cool with agreeing to disagree.

FF4 has a lot of room to grow imo...

1 minute ago, Callaway29 said:

Actually yes, someone did say that...

Don’t have the time to produce an analysis, but I can tell you I certainly was not factoring in the last 15yrs lol. What key hasn’t increased multiples in that timeframe? None, so let’s just disregard that statement.

Spot checking various grades, going back a couple years, yields very “meh” results in price increase. But, data can be selectively sliced and diced to prove any point, so I’m cool with agreeing to disagree.

FF4 has a lot of room to grow imo...

I would pay a great entry to many cons at that time and buy up all the keys at their retail prices back then... most of them anyways hah