• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Wow, together those add up to more than 20!  :baiting:

This book has been warm to hot for a while, I think there's still room to grow.

I’d much rather have your, I’m guessing, 9.4? Let’s see it...would be a treat. :foryou:

Edited by Callaway29

50 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

The wrap on that 8.5, and the colors on your keeper!

2AADB4CB-3B95-49A5-B0B4-575E52297704.gif.a18b67aaa3b37a8678d0379284e6f986.gif

Haha thanks!  I'm blushing.

I know the wrap on the 8.5 is "better" at the spine, but I actually prefer the way the 9.4 shows the entire "Kraven the Hunter!" blurb with (almost) nothing cut off along the right edge.  Certain key books of the era (notably, TOS 39) get scrutinized intensely over how much is cut off along the right edge (and bottom edge), so it's something that sometimes sticks out to me.

On 7/13/2020 at 3:08 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I feel I should follow up my last post because I really don't want to upset or insult anyone who feels love and nostalgia for DC Silver Age books.  Yes, I am a Marvel collector and those are the books and characters I enjoy the most.  That certainly gives me a bias.  But it's not like I haven't seen most of the DC movies (from Christopher Reeve to Gal Godot), and it's not like I didn't enjoy modern books like Frank Miller's Dark Knight or the Watchmen (a DC book outside DC continuity), and it's not as though I wouldn't be interested in collecting Superman or Batman comics from the Golden Age if I could afford them.  I'm not trying to hate on all things DC.

My opinion is just my own, and I'm speaking only for myself, but when someone asks when DC Silver Age books will be valued like Marvel Silver Age books, my answer is never.  Comparing the two in terms of quality and impact seems completely ridiculous to me.  Could some of the art be "sublime"?  Sure, although none of it stacks up to Kirby and Ditko.  But art isn't where it all falls apart for me.  DC books of that era seem to have been written with almost no regard for the reader's intelligence -- most of the stories are complete gimmicks, severely lacking in creativity or originality.  Most of the time when I look at one of the covers, I almost feel insulted.  There is a very obvious, deliberate editorial style running through all of this material, relentlessly tossing out the same lazy and derivative material. 

I've got strong opinions about this but again, I really want to be respectful of DC fans who love this stuff.  Definitely love what you love -- and perhaps be glad that what you love is more affordable.  But there is definitely a reason why.

Don't forget - you're looking at the DC books through adult eyes.  These books were not meant for adults.  They were meant for kids from 7-12 years of age.

I think that one had to be there when these originally came out.  I was, and I loved DC comics and, yes, I also liked Marvel books too.  For some of us, what we liked as a child still resonates today.

3 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

There's no silver age Marvel that's tough to find.  

That's not really true.  It all depends what grade we're talking about.  Speaking for myself, anything still on my want list is a book that is not currently available for sale.  If it were, I would own it by now.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That's not really true.  It all depends what grade we're talking about.  Speaking for myself, anything still on my want list is a book that is not currently available for sale.  If it were, I would own it by now.

Ahhhh - now you're introducing something that was NOT in the OP's original statement.  I agree with you, finding some early issues in super high grade is indeed difficult and when they are found they are EXPENSIVE.

In response to the OP's original statement though. grading aside, there's no Silver Age Marvel that's hard to find.

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Ahhhh - now you're introducing something that was NOT in the OP's original statement.  I agree with you, finding some early issues in super high grade is indeed difficult and when they are found they are EXPENSIVE.

In response to the OP's original statement though. grading aside, there's no Silver Age Marvel that's hard to find.

I went back to try to figure out what you mean by "the OP's original statement" and I found two posts from two different people saying that FF #4 might be "tougher" than Avengers #4.  Neither of those people said the book is "tough" in the way you seem to be interpreting that word, i.e. as truly scarce.  They simply used the relative term "tougher."

So, let's take a look at the census.

• 9.6:  24 blue-label copies of Avengers 4 vs. 6 blue-label copies of FF 4
  • 9.4:  35 vs. 14
  • 9.0:  69 vs. 18
  • 8.0:  137 vs. 26
  • 7.0:  191 vs. 57
  • 6.0:  219 vs. 68
  • 5.0:  263 vs. 84

It would seem that those posters were correct.  Across a broad range of grades, FF 4 is much "tougher" than Avengers 4.

9 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I went back to try to figure out what you mean by "the OP's original statement" and I found two posts from two different people saying that FF #4 might be "tougher" than Avengers #4.  Neither of those people said the book is "tough" in the way you seem to be interpreting that word, i.e. as truly scarce.  They simply used the relative term "tougher."

So, let's take a look at the census.

• 9.6:  24 blue-label copies of Avengers 4 vs. 6 blue-label copies of FF 4
  • 9.4:  35 vs. 14
  • 9.0:  69 vs. 18
  • 8.0:  137 vs. 26
  • 7.0:  191 vs. 57
  • 6.0:  219 vs. 68
  • 5.0:  263 vs. 84

It would seem that those posters were correct.  Across a broad range of grades, FF 4 is much "tougher" than Avengers 4.

PART of the discrepancy in those numbers could be attributed to the fact that Av 4 has been a “bigger” key than FF 4 for quite some time.  And bigger keys get slabbed more, generally speaking.  The greater interest in FF 4 is much more recent.  So we might see the numbers for FF 4 doing a bit of catching up with the numbers for Av 4.  They probably won’t catch up completely because Av 4 continues to be a big book and will continue to get slabbed in decent numbers, but also because probably FF 4 is tougher to some extent.

3 hours ago, MusterMark said:

PART of the discrepancy in those numbers could be attributed to the fact that Av 4 has been a “bigger” key than FF 4 for quite some time.  And bigger keys get slabbed more, generally speaking.  The greater interest in FF 4 is much more recent.  So we might see the numbers for FF 4 doing a bit of catching up with the numbers for Av 4.  They probably won’t catch up completely because Av 4 continues to be a big book and will continue to get slabbed in decent numbers, but also because probably FF 4 is tougher to some extent.

Oh, I agree -- there is no doubt that "scarcity" in the census is not purely a function of true scarcity in the raw supply.  As you point out, it's also driven heavily by demand, insofar as demand for a particular book motivates more people to turn copies of that book into more liquid assets by slabbing them.  I'm not sure how to quantify relative demand between these two books, but based on the relative prominence of Cap vs. Namor in the MCU, and more generally in pop culture, what you've said above certainly passes the sniff test.

On 8/25/2020 at 11:01 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Haha thanks!  I'm blushing.

I know the wrap on the 8.5 is "better" at the spine, but I actually prefer the way the 9.4 shows the entire "Kraven the Hunter!" blurb with (almost) nothing cut off along the right edge.  Certain key books of the era (notably, TOS 39) get scrutinized intensely over how much is cut off along the right edge (and bottom edge), so it's something that sometimes sticks out to me.

ASM #17 comes to mind for this as well. I’d like a copy that has a nice stretch of blue to the right of the number box and a full ear on the guy in the lower right corner.