• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, namisgr said:

He was responding to someone's list of the greatest villains in comics.  I'd certainly agree putting the Joker at the top.

OK.  The post he responded to combined two things -- a ranking of villains and a ranking of dollar value of "second appearances."  I was focused on the latter, which was qualified as "Marvel characters," which is why I offered up ASM #1 as the (likely) top dollar value of any Marvel character's second appearance.  But it looks like the other guys were ranking villains.  I am going to assume the OP meant to qualify his ranking as Marvel only, though he didn't explicitly.

Apologies to all for the confusion.  :foryou:

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Just now, namisgr said:

Agree, it's gotta be ASM #1 for second appearances.  (thumbsu

And for the record, although I'm a Make Mine Marvel guy through and through, I don't see any debate that the Joker is the greatest villain in comics.

Darkseid?  I won't touch that one since my Marvel bias will get me in trouble.  But I wonder if DC collectors would even rank him in the top 5.  (I honestly don't know.)

3 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

OK.  The post he responded to combined two things -- a ranking of villains and a ranking of dollar value of "second appearances."  I was focused on the latter, which was qualified as "Marvel characters," which is why I offered up ASM #1 as the (likely) top dollar value of any Marvel character's second appearance.  But it looks like the other guys were ranking villains.  I am going to assume the OP meant to qualify his ranking as Marvel only, though he didn't explicitly.

Apologies to all for the confusion.  :foryou:

Yes ASM 1 has to be....and the book in reference was Dooms first appearance outside of Fantastic Four which came in ASM and it was his sixth appearance.

Spiderman 6th appearance is more valuable obviously...oops its actually the same value as Dooms 6th appearance....can you tell me why?

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

As much I love Thanos (and he is one of my favorites as a huge Surfer fan) - he is a copy of and/or play on Darkseid.

Admittedly so

I think the debate of greatest villains doesn't neccesarily mean most dangerous

Magneto is probably the top Marvel villain or at least X-Men villain but he isn't X-Mens most dangerous villain as that title goes to Apocalypse or even Dark Pheonix 

Thanos is a great villain but not as Dangerous as Galactus or rather Galactus is more potent or dangerous then Dr.Doom but Doom is a greater villain to the Fantastic Four

Green Goblin is Spidermans greatest villain IMO

Edited by Hollywood1892

13 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It's a beautiful book....I checked a few on Ebay just now.....definitely heating up

Yeah, that book has a good cover and a solid story inside. Also, black cover, square bound book. Those are tough to find VF or better a lot of the time. Add in the Dr. Doom spec and it is a great book with some room to grow. 

35 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Yes ASM 1 has to be....and the book in reference was Dooms first appearance outside of Fantastic Four which came in ASM and it was his sixth appearance.

Spiderman 6th appearance is more valuable obviously...oops its actually the same value as Dooms 6th appearance....can you tell me why?

That's easy.  Doom's 6th appearance has Spider-Man in it!  (thumbsu

3 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

And for the record, although I'm a Make Mine Marvel guy through and through, I don't see any debate that the Joker is the greatest villain in comics.

Darkseid?  I won't touch that one since my Marvel bias will get me in trouble.  But I wonder if DC collectors would even rank him in the top 5.  (I honestly don't know.)

From a DC comic book collector perspective, maybe Darkseid makes the top 5 list. Even then, as a DC collector I would still go with Batvillains. From a general public perspective, it would be Batvillains (+ maybe Luthor) in the top 5. Everyone knows the Batvillains from TV, movies and animated series.

On the Marvel side, it would be Magneto + Spidey villains as most popular with the general public. Doctor Doom came off as a weak threat in the FF movies.

Edited by kimik

14 minutes ago, kimik said:

From a DC comic book collector perspective, maybe Darkseid makes the top 5 list. Even then, as a DC collector I would still go with Batvillains. From a general public perspective, it would be Batvillains (+ maybe Luthor) in the top 5. Everyone knows the Batvillains from TV, movies and animated series.

On the Marvel side, it would be Magneto + Spidey villains as most popular with the general public. Doctor Doom came off as a weak threat in the FF movies.

This is fair.  The Adam West Batman show certainly vaulted the whole Batman rogues gallery into the public consciousness.  Because of TV and movies, I probably overestimate the importance and popularity of some Bat villains -- for example I get the sense (?) that Penguin and Riddler are not as popular among comic collectors as I would have thought.

6 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

This is fair.  The Adam West Batman show certainly vaulted the whole Batman rogues gallery into the public consciousness.  Because of TV and movies, I probably overestimate the importance and popularity of some Bat villains -- for example I get the sense (?) that Penguin and Riddler are not as popular among comic collectors as I would have thought.

They have always been popular with Batman collectors. The GA 1st apps are out of reach for most, so the SA 1st appearances are where the action has been the past couple of years. Batman #155 (Penguin) is lagging Batman #171 (Riddler), but both have seen nice gains, and before that it was Batman #121 (Mr. Freeze) and #181 (Poison Ivy). I would put the order as Joker, Harley Quinn, Catwoman, and Penguin and Riddler ( or maybe Luthor instead of one of these two) as the top 5 most recognized DC villains. Personally speaking, I think Ivy is underrated as her popularity has increased due to the Harley animated series and cosplay. 

Edited by kimik

10 minutes ago, kimik said:

I have some bias here as a Batman collector, but Luthor kind of sucks compared to the big Batvillains. Braniac is the top Supes villain IMHO, but he is not as well known as Lex. 

It's possible that Lex Luthor is the only Superman villain that the average person on the street has heard of.  Nobody has heard of Darkseid or Braniac.  General Zod is probably (?) in second place in terms of widespread name recognition?

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

1 hour ago, kimik said:

They have always been popular with Batman collectors. The GA 1st apps are out of reach for most, so the SA 1st appearances are where the action has been the past couple of years. Batman #155 (Penguin) is lagging Batman #171 (Riddler), but both have seen nice gains, and before that it was Batman #121 (Mr. Freeze) and #181 (Poison Ivy). I would put the order as Joker, Harley Quinn, Catwoman, and Penguin and Riddler ( or maybe Luthor instead of one of these two) as the top 5 most recognized DC villains. Personally speaking, I think Ivy is underrated as her popularity has increased due to the Harley animated series and cosplay. 

OK, let's keep this going ... you didn't mention Two-Face who I thought would be up there competing with Penguin and Riddler.  FWIW I would put Catwoman above all of these, including Harley Quinn but not the Joker.