• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Yeah I agree

And the value of the book (ASM 5) is due more to it being Spiderman then Doom appearing it it...since it is Doom's 6th appearance and his 2,3,4,5 aren't as valuable.

That's why I have had the same discussion regarding Thanos, had Thanos first appearance been in ASM rather then IM then guaranteed we would be talking about a 30k book in 9.8 grade rather then a 5k book. The same goes for Venom, Punisher and even Morbius had they first appeared elsewhere

I'm not so sure. It's hard to imagine Venom anywhere else...but he is as Spider-Man as they come. Punisher and Morbius could have appeared somewhere else first and while they may not be quite as expensive, I look at books like Tomb of Dracula 10 and Werewolf by Night 32 and see some parallels. Those books are not driven by the main characters at all and they are the most valuable books in their runs. What I think about is that the increase in their value is very recent, say within the last 5 years. They were always keys, but not to the extent movie and tv rumors drive prices. 

I do see your point though and I like it. I never really thought about "what if well-known first appearances happened in a different title?" Imagine Sabretooth first appearing in Uncanny X-Men 106? I believe the Iron Fist title held it back for a while.

I was looking at my later boring Pre SA Detectives and was amazed that Tec 300 —- first polka dot man —- is no longer a silly issue from that dead zone in Tec with monster and alien and dopey covers anymore.  Well, nothing was more dopey than the lame villains in these issues than Polka dot man himself.  
‘Until he got a starring role in a movie that is..

6 hours ago, Aman619 said:

I was looking at my later boring Pre SA Detectives and was amazed that Tec 300 —- first polka dot man —- is no longer a silly issue from that dead zone in Tec with monster and alien and dopey covers anymore.  Well, nothing was more dopey than the lame villains in these issues than Polka dot man himself.  
‘Until he got a starring role in a movie that is..

So the trick is to convince the studios to use obscure characters from comics that you own.   

4 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Keys, nosebleed high grades, and classic covers seem to be selling at multiples of Overstreet.

Specifically, X-Men #6.  X-Men #6 is a red, red, red hot book.  Definitely scour the sales forum for anyone who's selling a 9.4 copy of X-Men #6.  If they're also selling other stuff, all the better.

28 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I have an X-Men #6 in CGC 6.5. Based on some quick research (GoCollect, GPAnalysis, Ebay), the price for my book has stayed the same since the end of August. Were you only talking about high-grade copies?

Yes, the market spike I've seen lately is very specifically for CGC 9.4 copies with OW pages.  It's weird.

On 10/24/2020 at 8:07 AM, ThothAmon said:

Thanks. Will you take this junky one off my hands also?

BA815F99-AB9F-4341-B471-716CFCAE5B0C.jpeg

DCEC67C2-9C3C-44BC-9712-75C136D3B14D.jpeg

Yes, that one is also likely not a 9.8, at least not without a press, so totally worthless