• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

@KirbyJack I know we discussed this at some length a while ago in the FF thread ... but I'm just realizing that X-Men #6 contains a rare appearance of Sub-Mariner's red swim trunks.  That must be why it got so hot.  Mystery solved.

Red trunk Subby is the blue chip of this hobby. 

6 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Now tell us about that first appearance of Sue Storm that you have, which just happens to be invisible.

In a related story, I saw a golden age issue of The Human Torch that had actually been on fire.

X-Men #14 has seen a nice uptick the past few months. It is close to double the 2019 average across 8.5 and lower grades, with healthy gains in the 9.0 and 9.2 ranges. Same goes for some of the other early X-Men.

1 minute ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm not really saw sure, but maybe!

Just noticed the GPA for my 4.5 went from the 12 months average of $7100 to a 90 day average of over $9000. That is a big change. I have always thought the book was a little undervalued, but not sure what is driving the jump.

17 hours ago, drotto said:

Just noticed the GPA for my 4.5 went from the 12 months average of $7100 to a 90 day average of over $9000. That is a big change. I have always thought the book was a little undervalued, but not sure what is driving the jump.

I think you hit the nail on the head - it's been undervalued compared to other major keys like JIM 83 and AF 15 for awhile.  I'm not sure why they were relatively cheap but I pretty sure people are banking on Marvel being able to expose the X-Men to whole new markets which could push up prices further.

Agree it always seemed undervalued (I'm referencing a couple years ago) but I assumed the relative abundance, in relation to the other big silver keys, would keep prices in check... But I think we've all seen census numbers (aka availability) means little with value appreciation. I thought the same for FF48, but nope...nobody cares... Thought the same for IH181, but nope...nobody cares...