• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I think you hit the nail on the head - it's been undervalued compared to other major keys like JIM 83 and AF 15 for awhile.  I'm not sure why they were relatively cheap but I pretty sure people are banking on Marvel being able to expose the X-Men to whole new markets which could push up prices further.

100%. People know X-men coming to MCU and trying to get in on the keys now.  If we see a high grade X-Men 1 come to auction, I bet it will reset all prices higher.  

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I think you hit the nail on the head - it's been undervalued compared to other major keys like JIM 83 and AF 15 for awhile.  I'm not sure why they were relatively cheap but I pretty sure people are banking on Marvel being able to expose the X-Men to whole new markets which could push up prices further.

Probably the biggest reason why X-Men #1 has traditionally been more affordable is that none of the characters in the original lineup were the drivers of the enormous spike in popularity that the team got (and then sustained) starting at the end of the 1970s.  Yes, Cyclops and Prof. X were always around and yes, Marvel Girl was eventually the Phoenix -- but you could make a strong case that for some collectors, the most interesting thing about X-Men #1 was the first appearance of Magneto.  Maybe for those collectors, the better comp for X-Men #1 would be FF #5 instead of FF #1, if that makes sense.

Another contributing factor is that the original X-Men run wasn't considered "successful" in that it ultimately petered out into a bimonthly reprint title before its highly successful reboot.  I think that perception of "failure" led to sustained undervaluation of the whole run, and eventually collectors came back around and realized those books were deserving of a bit more love and attention.

Just speculating on all of this but for now it's my theory so I'll stick to it.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 11/3/2020 at 1:18 PM, drotto said:

Just noticed the GPA for my 4.5 went from the 12 months average of $7100 to a 90 day average of over $9000. That is a big change. I have always thought the book was a little undervalued, but not sure what is driving the jump.

There was a sale at over $10k for a 4.5 recently as well......

12 minutes ago, kimik said:

There was a sale at over $10k for a 4.5 recently as well......

Mine is a grail for me.  No intention on selling, but I paid $3600 like 3 years ago.  That is a wild return on investment.  I am also feeling lucky I got my GSXM about 2 years ago (nice almost minty 9.4).

Any other X-Men that should be on people's radars?  I know 4 is always popular. Could we finally see Havok?

Edited by drotto

9 hours ago, drotto said:

Mine is a grail for me.  No intention on selling, but I paid $3600 like 3 years ago.  That is a wild return on investment.  I am also feeling lucky I got my GSXM about 2 years ago (nice almost minty 9.4).

Any other X-Men that should be on people's radars?  I know 4 is always popular. Could we finally see Havok?

Nice snag on the CGC 4.5 #1. I lucked into 4 copies from two collections the past couple of years, but only have two left.

Look at prices on the early issues from #1-20 now - they are running up nicely. You can still lock them in for decent prices if you keep an eye out for them. Here are some of the cheaper 1st appearances that are starting to pop:

Banshee (X-Men 28), Havok (54 and 58), Polaris (49), Sauron (60), Sunfire (64), Moira (96), Corsair (104), Lilandra (105), Vindicator (109), Alpha Flight (120/121), Proteus (125), Dazzler (130), and Kitty and Emma (129). 

Edited by kimik

17 hours ago, drotto said:

Got my XM#1 and GSXM   over 10 years ago = very very lucky  :bigsmile:

4 hours ago, Doctor Dositheus said:

I think FF49 might be climbing some more again. You know what's not hot? Showcase 22. Poor GL fans.

Why do you say that about Showcase 22 - have not seen a lot of low grade sales so hard to tell - but perhaps I am missing something.

I will say that it doesn’t make sense to me why it is so affordable in low grade (looking at 1.8 and 2.0 pricing) - it is such a key DC book that is relatively scarce. 

8 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Why do you say that about Showcase 22 - have not seen a lot of low grade sales so hard to tell - but perhaps I am missing something.

I will say that it doesn’t make sense to me why it is so affordable in low grade (looking at 1.8 and 2.0 pricing) - it is such a key DC book that is relatively scarce. 

Okay, I looked at the sales history a little closer and it looks like it has been steadier than I thought. It is of course undervalued though. I'd like to see it closer to at least half the value of Showcase 4 but we'll have to wait for a more successful movie appearance probably.