• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
27 27

4,098 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, SuperBird said:

never. :)

nah?  SC4 and BB28 have been showing signs, and because of their importance, I expect a sustained/permanent pop can happen at any time.    Look at what is happening with FF4 and x-men now.  If DC gets its act together even in the slightest (in general or with GL in particular), SC4, BB28, and SC22 will go up organically because it is long overdue for such mega keys, more so than keys that are more dependent on cinematic exposure.    But even if DC does not change, look at what happened with TMNT#1 without any recent cinematic catalyst....unexpected and yet I doubt many doubted it was long overdue.   And SC4, BB28, and SC22 are in low supply.  All it takes is a lil more love and a pop is inevitable, it seems.  hm

Edited by Pantodude

19 hours ago, kimik said:

Not all DC SA keys are cold. Right now it is Batman related keys that are seeing nice run ups, and that started last year. 

i think that no matter how great the dc films might become, the value of the SA dc keys is unlikely to ever rival the marvel ones, because at the end of the day there are too many 50 year old dudes like me who grew up loving marvel and not dc, and that affects one's collecting passions more than anything. the demand for sc22 seems unlikely to ever rival xmen1 or af15. doesnt mean the value won't increase eventually, but i dont expect it to ever explode. 

11 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i think that no matter how great the dc films might become, the value of the SA dc keys is unlikely to ever rival the marvel ones, because at the end of the day there are too many 50 year old dudes like me who grew up loving marvel and not dc, and that affects one's collecting passions more than anything. the demand for sc22 seems unlikely to ever rival xmen1 or af15. doesnt mean the value won't increase eventually, but i dont expect it to ever explode. 

I don’t think DC SA will ever match Marvel SA either, just like Timely GA does not match DC GA keys. That being said, there will be run ups in DC SA prices after Marvel SA run ups, just like the pattern has been for the past 20 or so years. We are going to be coming into one of those periods again soon as Marvel SA has jumped quite a bit again the couple of years while DC stagnated. 

12 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I feel I'm the perfect guy to speak about this because today is my 50th birthday.  :acclaim:

Honestly I had no idea who Green Lantern even was growing up.  He was not in the Super Friends cartoon, which essentially made him a non-entity.  At least I could say I owned a pair of Aquaman underoos.

What I want to know is, why aren't people talking about the first appearance of the Apache Chief.

Sorry you missed out.

Growing up, my absolute favorite was Green Lantern.

14 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I feel I'm the perfect guy to speak about this because today is my 50th birthday.  :acclaim:

Honestly I had no idea who Green Lantern even was growing up.  He was not in the Super Friends cartoon, which essentially made him a non-entity.  At least I could say I owned a pair of Aquaman underoos.

What I want to know is, why aren't people talking about the first appearance of the Apache Chief.

A9DABB70-F46C-4894-828C-6AE0BBBA42B9.jpeg

14 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

happy birthday lou! i too watched super friends, hoping that it would one day be any good. i was so desperate for a good suoerhero tv show. the terrible marvel animated shows were worse, and eventually we had live action shows like wonder woman, incredible hulk, captai america (briefly.) but ultimately it came down to the comics for me. no dc character ever was as cool as spiderman or the xmen. i read a good amount of dc in summer camp, and found it entertaining, but it just never got me the way marvel did. lots of dc lovers here and i dont begrudge them at all. but marvel just had something a little hipper to me and my friends than dc did. maybe because many of the dc characters were from another generation. i dont know. i will say those first marvel tpb books were enormously important to me. origins of marvel comics, sons of origins, and most of all, bring on the bad guys! marvel villains were always my favorite. 

42 minutes ago, JTLarsen said:

A9DABB70-F46C-4894-828C-6AE0BBBA42B9.jpeg

Interesting and good to know.  I never said that I saw all of the episodes ... I'm just telling you what I remember from my childhood and why Green Lantern had no presence or relevance in any nostalgia I might feel about it.  I knew about Batman and Robin from Adam West reruns, and Superman from the Christopher Reeve movies, and Wonder Woman plus Aquaman from the Super Friends.  I don't have strong memories of the Flash or Green Lantern but at least I could say I'd heard of the Flash as a kid.

It's just one data point, make of it what you will.  When the Green Lantern movie came out, my interest level was sub-zero, and I don't think it would have been much higher had the reviews of that movie actually been good.  It's just not a character I know anything about, and what little I do know and understand doesn't really capture my imagination.

I have never read or collected DC comics with any seriousness, and yet like most casual fans I can recite from memory the detailed origin stories of DC's big three characters.  All three resonate powerfully for me even though I don't have a collecting interest in any of them.  I have been genuinely moved by (the best-told) stories centered on these three characters on the big screen.  I'm not aware that the second-tier DC heroes -- Flash, GL, Aquaman -- have anything to compare with the archetypal, universally appealing themes of those big three.  If there really is strong material there to be mined for a mainstream audience, then somehow DC has utterly failed for many decades to do so.  Until and unless they do (to come back to the original question), collector interest in SC22 would naturally be expected to lag behind keys for characters and teams that have gained that crossover success into mainstream pop culture.

35 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I have never read or collected DC comics with any seriousness, and yet like most casual fans I can recite from memory the detailed origin stories of DC's big three characters.  All three resonate powerfully for me even though I don't have a collecting interest in any of them.  I have been genuinely moved by (the best-told) stories centered on these three characters on the big screen.  I'm not aware that the second-tier DC heroes -- Flash, GL, Aquaman -- have anything to compare with the archetypal, universally appealing themes of those big three.  If there really is strong material there to be mined for a mainstream audience, then somehow DC has utterly failed for many decades to do so.  Until and unless they do (to come back to the original question), collector interest in SC22 would naturally be expected to lag behind keys for characters and teams that have gained that crossover success into mainstream pop culture.