• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, MusterMark said:

Exactly!  I'm simply saying that I'm not aware, not that it isn't true.  And my observation is just one data point, and my experience may not be indicative of anyone else's.  But I'm speaking as someone who is immersed in comic books -- not DC comics, admittedly, but we're talking about over 35 years of immersion in comics.  What little I know about the character, I picked up in my adult years.  As I noted above, at least for me he was invisible and absent from my childhood.

My only point here is, if we're talking about why a character's first appearance is not lighting it on fire (relative to other key issues), we can expect there to be at least some correlation between that sales data and broad awareness / interest in that character in the popular culture.  My guess is that you could probably pick Americans of all ages at random for man-on-the-street interviews and ask them questions like "What planet is Superman from?" or "What's Batman's real name and why did he decide to become Batman?" and get an impressive proportion of right answers.  But if we were to try "Who is Green Lantern?" I think the numbers wouldn't be so great.

And then the question is, if there really is a Green Lantern story or character dynamic on a level with the Superman or Batman origin story, why has DC been unable to make a serious (non-DC) comics collector like me aware of it over the course of the last five decades, much less the average person?  I don't have that answer, but obviously whatever they tried with Ryan Reynolds wasn't it.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

55 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

This sums up DC for me in the mid 70’s. “Form of ... a bucket of water”. doh!

I neglected to mention Zan and Jena but yes, the Wonder Twins and the Apache Chief are more a part of my childhood consciousness than any number of DC heroes who are prominent in the comics but were not chosen as centerpieces of their TV and film strategy.

FF 5 is on fire, when I think it reached the cealing another higher sale pop up. 

A 1.8 just sold for $4000.

I wonder what will happens when Marvel announce the FF movie. Do you think it still has room to grow? 

Edited by marmat

53 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

thats neat! did uncle stan sign inside the book too? what was the price way back then?

Nah, these were books that Stan sent to his nephew in the UK over the years and at some point he wanted to sell them and asked Stan if he could have his blessing.

I cant remember exactly how much without checking but about £200 I think, I have about 10 or so from the collection, wish I had bought more lol 

3 hours ago, marmat said:

FF 5 is on fire, when I think it reached the cealing another higher sale pop up. 

I wonder what will happens when Marvel announce the FF movie. Do you think it still has room to grow? 

Mother !!!!!!  :o

On 12/5/2020 at 4:20 PM, Dark Knight said:

Yeah unfortunately DC SA keys like SC 4, SC 22, and BB 28 will not be as hot as they used to.  Pretty much fizzled out, who knows if or when they will be "hot" again.

As an owner of SC 22, I am hoping that the upcoming Green Lantern show on HBOMax might lead to an increase in price for SC 22. I'm also an owner of BB 28, but I honestly don't if anything can be done to raise the value of this book. If DC/Warner Brothers/AT&T wanted to improve the reception of the DCCU, then the best thing that they could do would be to farm out their movies to Marvel. I know that this will never happen, but one can always hope.

Edited by Math Teacher

5 hours ago, marmat said:

This is exactly my thought as well hence why I priced my FF 5 that was for sale high.  What's the ceiling for this book?  People still paying top dollar for practically ANY copy.   Do I think there is still room to grow?  Well I may be biased, but I think there is still room to grow.

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

This is exactly my thought as well hence why I priced my FF 5 that was for sale high.  What's the ceiling for this book?  People still paying top dollar for practically ANY copy.   Do I think there is still room to grow?  Well I may be biased, but I think there is still room to grow.

i think almost every prospective mcu character candidate first appearance has already popped to a large extent, but i do also think that when announcements happen, there will still be some further growth, even if it's short lived. take ff48 for example. if they announce norrin in his own film, or as a character in guardians 3 for example, that book will likely move up some more, despite the fact that in the last few years it already increased several fold over say five years ago. 

11 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

As an owner of SC 22, I am hoping that the upcoming Green Lantern show on HBOMax might lead to an increase in price for SC 22. I'm also an owner of BB 28, but I honestly don't if anything can be done to raise the value of this book. If DC/Warner Brothers/AT&T wanted to improve the reception of the DCCU, then the best thing that they could do would be to farm out their movies to Marvel. I know that this will never happen, but one can always hope.

all this discussion centers on the generational effect of nostalgia -  TMNT is hot without any associated movie hype simply because the older millennials and young Gen X-ers are in 38-42 and that's their nostalgia zone as they approach middle age and prime $$$ earning years..  Same thing that explained Marvel SA eclipsing DC with younger Boomers and Older Gen-Xers.  Gen-Xers are the ones driving what gets made into film/tv right now.  DC's nostalgia heydey was 30+ years ago for that comic buying cohort, and they are dying or cashing out in droves now. Sure, Key's be key's and those characters that extend into the present benefit from that, but most of that value was priced in decades ago and can be indexed to inflation.  There are precious few DC books that are 40 years old that will increase in value 50x overnight.  Black Adam in Shazam might be one of the rare exceptions.  Now, more likely the first appearance of Masters of the Universe in the 80's will get attention, and that has zero to do with DC comics. the MCU has generated far more buzz with so many movies, and now TV shows to pluck an obscure character out of the last 50 years to take a $5 book to $500 overnight.  DC will never do that, and if they did buid an extended DCU it's less likely to elevate back issues with each new movie or TV show the way marvel did.  All those first appearances were already rare and pricey.  4, 5, and 6 figures keys can't go up 30x due to movie hype the way MSE #15 can.  Basic principals of supply and demand always win out in the end. The big DC characters, Superman, Batman, wonder Woman, etc have become part of the culture to the point that their 1st comic appearances are irrelevant. All the CW shows with the 2nd and 3rd tier characters? Nobody cares.  A few of you on these boards care, sure, but we is not the world.

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

14 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

all this discussion centers on the generational effect of nostalgia -  TMNT is hot without any associated movie hype simply because the older millennials and young Gen X-ers are in 38-42 and that's their nostalgia zone as they approach middle age and prime $$$ earning years..  Same thing that explained Marvel SA eclipsing DC with younger Boomers and Older Gen-Xers.  Gen-Xers are the ones driving what gets made into film/tv right now.  DC's nostalgia heydey was 30+ years ago for that comic buying cohort, and they are dying or cashing out in droves now. Sure, Key's be key's and those characters that extend into the present benefit from that, but most of that value was priced in decades ago and can be indexed to inflation.  There are precious few DC books that are 40 years old that will increase in value 50x overnight.  Black Adam in Shazam might be one of the rare exceptions.  Now, more likely the first appearance of Masters of the Universe in the 80's will get attention, and that has zero to do with DC comics. the MCU has generated far more buzz with so many movies, and now TV shows to pluck an obscure character out of the last 50 years to take a $5 book to $500 overnight.  DC will never do that, and if they did buid an extended DCU it's less likely to elevate back issues with each new movie or TV show the way marvel did.  All those first appearances were already rare and pricey.  4, 5, and 6 figures keys can't go up 30x due to movie hype the way MSE #15 can.  Basic principals of supply and demand always win out in the end. The big DC characters, Superman, Batman, wonder Woman, etc have become part of the culture to the point that their 1st comic appearances are irrelevant. All the CW shows with the 2nd and 3rd tier characters? Nobody cares.  A few of you on these boards care, sure, but we is not the world.

Your closing is off, but that is okay as I agree with most of the comments re nostalgia. The DC GA 1st apps aren’t irrelevant - there are just fewer collectors willing to spend $1M on a decent copy that those that can afford $10K for a reasonable SA key. The same effect is in play for Marvel SA keys at the high end. The AF #15 9.6 buyer at $1.1M would likely have to sell at a loss now.

There are DC books have gone from $5 to $500 the past few years, just like every other publisher. With SA, the Batman SA keys have done very well with some doubling the past year, along with books like SA 205 and Hawkman 4 to name a couple. There are plenty of Marvel fanboys I know that collect DC keys as well now since they have everything they need Marvel wise. And they are dipping into GA as well since they are comic fans. Will the DC SA keys hit SA Marvel popularity and prices? No, and no one expects them to. It is just like GA - DC GA keys will always sell for more than Timely keys.

For a very current example, check out the action on Batman 313 today due to a comic variant cover being posted (and to see the inverse, look at Batwing 19 prices as an example of the downside of speculating on the wrong character 😂). It had already gone from $5-$50 a year or two ago, and is gapping up higher again.

Edited by kimik

18 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Tales to Astonish 90 1st Abomination selling... I'm amazed that Tim Roth is coming back to play the character.. awesome actor... but a nearly 15 year gap is nuts!

Me on my way to pick up copies of tales to Astonish 62 and 63: 

0D8547A0-3B96-4C68-9DE7-022F5E89429E.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Nazirite said:

Not yet but with abomination, hulk and she hulk on the way, I just cannot see marvel wasting a great villain like The Leader. 

They let that thread dangle for ~15 years, might as well follow up now.