• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, WarZoneSpider said:

I completely agree. I’m kicking myself for not going big on FF and X-men when I had the chance. Glad I pulled an X-men 1 for a decent price because the price will explode once casting/filming starts. It’s only a matter of time. 

X-men may be the last OG series that is relatively affordable 

Daredevil is cheap, as is the Avengers. I guess you can lump Strange Tales into that mix as well.

FWIW, look at the prices on mid grade ASMs between 51-80 or so now. You can still find plenty of FN to VF- copies in the $40-50 range that are now going for $100+ graded.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Daredevil is cheap, as is the Avengers. I guess you can lump Strange Tales into that mix as well.

FWIW, look at the prices on mid grade ASMs between 51-80 or so now. You can still find plenty of FN to VF- copies in the $40-50 range that are now going for $100+ graded.

True - I guess DD is affordable , not a ton of first appearances there - I didn’t count avengers as that’s a sum of all parts - an Avengers #1 is a must have 

3 hours ago, OuterboroGuy said:

What do people think about FF#4?  (vs FF#5)

it has also gone up significantly in the last 4 years bc everyone is certain subby will appear in the mcu at some point. 

i personally think he's aquaman without a cool costume, but i'm sure kevin feige can find someone to make him more interesting. it should still rise in value.

at this point, ff1 is no longer a good value buy. it's all speculation, and it's almost at af15 prices, without the street cred. spidey's the most popular marvel character on earth. my in laws in japan even love him. ff has a long way to go before they become the next avengers. the time to grab an ff1 seems to have passed, imho. 

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

It's not nearly as affordable as Daredevil.  I would say that "ordinary" pre-1966 issues of both the Avengers and X-Men are still pretty reasonably priced, particularly when compared against titles like Amazing Spider-Man, FF, or JIM / Thor.  There are a few reasons why, but one of them has to be that those titles featured Kirby, Ditko, Romita, and by extension a more rapid and lasting impact on broader universe-building (introduction of major new characters and concepts).  So much of the most impactful universe-building in the X-Men's corner of the Marvel universe happened in the Bronze Age or later.

totally agree with you, those first 38 spideys are fantastic, with such amazing artwork. the early xmen quickly become awful, since kirby was just too busy, and turned it over to some very lousy artists. sorry to all the werner roth lovers out there. 

12 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

it has also gone up significantly in the last 4 years bc everyone is certain subby will appear in the mcu at some point. 

i personally think he's aquaman without a cool costume, but i'm sure kevin feige can find someone to make him more interesting. it should still rise in value.

at this point, ff1 is no longer a good value buy. it's all speculation, and it's almost at af15 prices, without the street cred. spidey's the most popular marvel character on earth. my in laws in japan even love him. ff has a long way to go before they become the next avengers. the time to grab an ff1 seems to have passed, imho. 

You don't think FF1 has the street cred? 

I do agree it's no longer a value buy, but I've always considered it a top 3 SA book. AF15 deserves that top spot, but FF1 really started everything for marvel.  I've always considered it the most important comic of the 60s and battling  Hulk 1 for that #2 spot in value. 

12 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

I do agree it's no longer a value buy, but I've always considered it a top 3 SA book. AF15 deserves that top spot, but FF1 really started everything for marvel.  I've always considered it the most important comic of the 60s and battling  Hulk 1 for that #2 spot in value. 

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

in terms of comics, of course it has the street cred. but i mean as far as characters with real world crossover appeal thanks to films, tv show, toys, etc, they are so far a complete flop. outside of our cabal of comic nerds, the ff have failed time and time again to be of interest to regular people. spidey and hulk have been popular for many decades now, i used to watch the hulk tv show religiously as a kid. everyone here thinks marvel will nail the ff movie, finally! perhaps. but that will only be the start of their street cred. spidey still has a huge head start, a better costume and story, and a much longer track record. af15 passed ff1 in value years ago. i dont see that changing anytime soon, no matter how good a movie marvel might make. if i found 30k, i'd still put it into af15 before ff1. 

5 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

in terms of comics, of course it has the street cred. but i mean as far as characters with real world crossover appeal thanks to films, tv show, toys, etc, they are so far a complete flop. outside of our cabal of comic nerds, the ff have failed time and time again to be of interest to regular people. spidey and hulk have been popular for many decades now, i used to watch the hulk tv show religiously as a kid. everyone here thinks marvel will nail the ff movie, finally! perhaps. but that will only be the start of their street cred. spidey still has a huge head start, a better costume and story, and a much longer track record. af15 passed ff1 in value years ago. i dont see that changing anytime soon, no matter how good a movie marvel might make. if i found 30k, i'd still put it into af15 before ff1. 

My scary confession.... I haven't watched a super hero movie since Batman Returns until 2 months ago. My 8 year old son wanted to watch Avengers. 

I'm the kind of comic nerd that still views these things through the lens of their significance to the hobby.  I actually get bent out of shape when SC4 isn't mentioned in these discussions. To me, SC4 and FF1 are the SA.  

Now, with that said I don't disagree with anything you wrote.  And if I had $30k to invest I would buy a AF15 as well.  Spider-man is the top character out of the SA and AF15 hasn't really moved much since 2017 or so. While Hulk 1, FF1 and SC4 battle it out, they will always be competing for second place in my opinion. 

16 hours ago, kimik said:

Daredevil no longer cheap.  Check out the past eBay solds, its gone nuclear.  DD1 in 4.0 just sold yesterday for $3155.  Beginning of this year, this was a $1500 book. 

I attribute the meteoric rise due to the fact that I sold all my 5 copies of DD1, 4.0, 5.5, 5.5, 4.0 SS, 4.5 SS about 6 months ago.  That is my fate.  

2 hours ago, kimik said:

As expected in this market. Buy on rumor sell on news. That just leaves ST 110 as the last Marvel SA hero 1st appearance to pop.

Actually quite agree.  With 2nd movie coming out, surprised it hasn’t really moved.  It’s undervalued compared to others, probably due to the crappy Paste Pot Pete cover.  

25 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Completely agree.

Yeah imagine if Dr. Strange was on the cover?

I have often thought it would be cool to reimagine famous first issues and appearances artistically...problem being, I cannot draw. But Strange Tales 110 I always wanted to see reimagined in Ditko-esque or Kirby fashion with Strange front and center. I have had these thoughts about many classic "dud" covers that had they been presented differently, would likely be much more desired and valuable. 

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah imagine if Dr. Strange was on the cover?

I have often thought it would be cool to reimagine famous first issues and appearances artistically...problem being, I cannot draw. But Strange Tales 110 I always wanted to see reimagined in Ditko-esque or Kirby fashion with Strange front and center. I have had these thoughts about many classic "dud" covers that had they been presented differently, would likely be much more desired and valuable. 

Someone did that a while ago for all the Strange Tale appearances.

1585638408_stalt110.jpg.66b03547f9ba67424d8164732db9d091.jpg318003425_stalt111.jpg.9c31d599e9ab2f32f9d54e0959593da0.jpg

and the rest of the covers he got half arsed billing on from 114 through 145 (146 his first solo cover and Ditko's last effort)

Edited by 01TheDude

On 12/14/2020 at 10:14 AM, kimik said:
On 12/14/2020 at 10:12 AM, Nazirite said:

Excuse me dear sir, would you mind giving some examples on which 1st apps folks should be looking out for ? 

https://www.keycollectorcomics.com/series/x-men,6999/

Check out the other X-titles as well. There are a ton of 1st apps to chase.

And, looking at recent price action, grab HG copies of the keys between 95-142. There are a bunch of sleeping 1st apps that may be ready to wake up.