• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bpc3qh said:

Depends on how prominent Kang is? Like, if he's a one-off villain maybe it cools down, but if they set him up as part of a larger thing (like Loki or Nebula during the Infinity Saga), then I imagine it'll keep rising.

I can’t think of a villain that was a one-off other than yellow jacket and Malekith. All the villains have been brought back from Red Skull, Crossbones, Abomination, etc 

19 minutes ago, littledoom said:

I can’t think of a villain that was a one-off other than yellow jacket and Malekith. All the villains have been brought back from Red Skull, Crossbones, Abomination, etc 

ultron. avengers 55 never really equalled it's pre-avengers 2 high. i tend to agree with @bpc3qh that it depends what they do with the kangster. but i think it's unlikely to rise after the film opens. is thanos' first appearance still rising?

pre-movie hype now accounts for a huge part of a book's rise overall.

42 minutes ago, littledoom said:

But those are minor appearances (place-holding Abomination I suppose)--Red Skull was a surprise after all (and his first appearance isn't really subject to "rising" in the way we're talking about it either). I mean a character who appears prominently in multiple movie, becoming important to the plot--I stand by Loki and Nebula as the best examples, b/c they evolved and remained integral to the plots of subsequent movies after fulfilling one of the "villain" roles in their debut movies.

7 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

ultron. avengers 55 never really equalled it's pre-avengers 2 high. i tend to agree with @bpc3qh that it depends what they do with the kangster. but i think it's unlikely to rise after the film opens. is thanos' first appearance still rising?

pre-movie hype now accounts for a huge part of a book's rise overall.

I was looking into that and it looks like Thanos is still inching up a bit the last few weeks.  Not sure if this is a significant drop since the movies though. 

I was mainly debating if I should pick up an Avengers 8 copy now before it skyrockets even more or try to pick it up after the movie in a few years... but worried it may continue to go up. 

It's such a neat cover too for his first appearance. 

5 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I was looking into that and it looks like Thanos is still inching up a bit the last few weeks.  Not sure if this is a significant drop since the movies though. 

I was mainly debating if I should pick up an Avengers 8 copy now before it skyrockets even more or try to pick it up after the movie in a few years... but worried it may continue to go up. 

It's such a neat cover too for his first appearance. 

when they announce a villain for a major movie, the big pop is always right away. plus kang was rumored for awhile before the announcement. i would not buy one now, as it has already experienced a significant jump. i would not expect much return if it were bought at today's prices. plus, everything is SO EXPENSIVE right now. pandemic has made the market insane. i dont think there are many good deals to be found right now on anything, except maybe on the boards in a dale roberts sale or something. i bailed on every book i was watching at auction the last two months. way over GPA on anything even close to a semi key or key. 

On 12/28/2014 at 6:37 AM, mintcollector said:

Isn't asking why we have no threads that show books that have or are dropping in value a better question to ask? I ask this question in general terms and not to contradict the original poster in any way. In typical fashion it appears we only care about books that are rising in price and not those that fall. Why is this? You can learn much more by looking at books that are dropping in price than those that are on the rise.

Your question might be better but only from the standpoint of pointing out comics that are now more affordable for us collectors.

:wink:

Edited by Hepcat

On 12/21/2020 at 11:59 AM, kimik said:

That has been changing over the last half of the year with a lot of the more popular mid 60s SA Marvel (and SA Batman on the DC front) books hitting $80-$100 in CGC 6.0. Those $20-30 FN run filler books are jumping now. Check out these prices on some well toasted lots with moderate to heavy tanning, and no real keys of note, from the Sunday night Heritage auction yesterday:

The Amazing Spider-Man Group of 54 (Marvel, 1966-80) Condition: Average FN.... (Total: 54 ) - $7200 with BP or over $130/book :whatthe: (approximate OSPG value in grade of $1800) 

Fantastic Four Group of 55 (Marvel, 1966-76) Condition: Average FN.... (Total: 55 ) - $1560 with BP  (approximate OSPG value in grade of $1050)

X-Men Group of 24 (Marvel, 1966-77) Condition: Average FN.... (Total: 24 ) - $1200 with BP (approximate OSPG value in grade of $800)

I was watching the ASM lot and could not believe it hit that high with all of the tanning on the books. It was fun to watch - after it hit the $2000 mark there were a couple of bidders that were in a serious bidding war to win it.

Heritage has been getting results like that for quite a while, the pandemic may have exacerbated the situation. I routinely see mid-grade lots of run filler books going for Guide or above but nobody is getting those prices on ebay or at shows, if shows were still happening. I'm usually scratching my head at these outliers. Who's paying those prices for these books? Someone who wants the convenience of grabbing a chunk of a run without the trouble of piecing it together and has no concern over paying a huge premium for one-stop shopping? Someone who thinks the value is only going up, regardless of condition? Crazy FMV on books like ASM #300 or Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #1 make more sense to me.

6 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Heritage has been getting results like that for quite a while, the pandemic may have exacerbated the situation. I routinely see mid-grade lots of run filler books going for Guide or above but nobody is getting those prices on ebay or at shows, if shows were still happening. I'm usually scratching my head at these outliers. Who's paying those prices for these books? Someone who wants the convenience of grabbing a chunk of a run without the trouble of piecing it together and has no concern over paying a huge premium for one-stop shopping? Someone who thinks the value is only going up, regardless of condition? Crazy FMV on books like ASM #300 or Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #1 make more sense to me.

Actually, check out GPA for 5.5 - 7.5 ASMs between 51 and 80ish. It is crazy - a lot of the slabbed copies selling online in mid grade are $100+ now. The same is happening with other titles now as well. It makes sense - with the amount of money being pumped into the economy we should see inflation sooner or later.

Edited by kimik

3 hours ago, kimik said:

Actually, check out GPA for 5.5 - 7.5 ASMs between 51 and 80ish. It is crazy - a lot of the slabbed copies selling online in mid grade are $100+ now. The same is happening with other titles now as well. It makes sense - with the amount of money being pumped into the economy we should see inflation sooner or later.

That’s actually one of the main reasons why I spent my bank savings on an X-Men 1. With the US basically printing money inflation is bound to happen. If kept in my bank account I’d be earning 0.5% interest not even close to keeping up with value of dollar next year.  

18 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

That’s actually one of the main reasons why I spent my bank savings on an X-Men 1. With the US basically printing money inflation is bound to happen. If kept in my bank account I’d be earning 0.5% interest not even close to keeping up with value of dollar next year.  

Comics can be a fine investment, but a better comparison would be "comics" vs. just a basic ETF such as QQQ or SPY, which would have more security, liquidity, and tax advantages. (Or "X-men 1" vs. "TSLA", if you want to stockpick )

I hope nobody is counting on bank interest to keep up with inflation...

Edited by SuperBird