• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

Many-many comics don't heat up as much as speculators drive the prices up, which soon enough collapse or come back down. There's market manipulation and outright fraud.  Certain solid keys you cannot go wrong with long-term such as FF48, Avengers 4, HOS92, DD1, WBN32, HULK181, ASM129 etc.. even keys like BB28, Showcase22, Action252 while flat if not cold are mainstays to any good true collection.  These sudden 'hot' books are truly distractions at best (like shiny pennies) and only have a brief if not short moment in the sun before returning to Earth.  The market these days is based more on illusions and slight of hand than anything well grounded or well reasoned.  Most collectors are lemmings, who follow the smallest trends and are complicit in steamrolling those illusory keys into something bigger based only upon the mob's inclinations and or a movie rumor.  Original thinking in this hobby is almost dead as everyone seemingly looks at final auction house sales as an indication of future projections, when often it was nothing more than 2 possessed over-thinking bidders pushing each other up in the final seconds before the hammer falls. We chase more then we discover in this hobby.  We follow more then we lead.  We buy high - hoping to sell even higher.  Every month I see someone list something for sale with the comment "I need to get back what I paid for it," which begs the question - what were you thinking at the time of purchase?  People's 'Hot List' are simply marketing tools or a honest but misguided persons attempts to help the novice collector.  This is not your big brother or daddy's hobby anymore. Think on your own before hitting the buy or bid button.  Don't mistake one high or one low sale as a road sign because often it is not.  Better to save your money and buy that one real key book then a dozen overinflated bloated books.  Avoid those TMNTs type books, which were so much cheaper not too long ago but now are the cat's meow (and don't get me ranting over Variants, which are TULIP-MANIA incarnated).  Collecting is often based on mixed emotions and a sense of regret.  Don't do that and don't be that way.  Think independently and if you have to ask others for their opinions over and over the answer is often simply don't do it.  My 2 cents.    :preach:

This is tough love, but solid advice.

But to each their own.

Some collectors are perfectly fine being in the chase of a bloody shark-attack on a book on the rise - some like to lead or forge their own collecting path.

I truly believe in the 'buy what you love' philosophy, and you won't have regrets. Even if you're buying a book on the rise.

(this isn't to say I don't speculate my own self, but I try to guess on the side of caution a bit) 

But be careful out there folks - use your wallets and bitcoins wisely!

That is good advice, there have been times where I was looking for a semi key then it blows up and I am left thinking, should I jump in now or wait for it to die down, most of the time the leveling off is still higher than when the books started to peak. When I was putting my ASM run together the first appearances were killing me due to movie releases. Golden Age on the other hand I am usually buying steady and there is not usually the peaks like SA.

28 minutes ago, PKJ said:

That is good advice, there have been times where I was looking for a semi key then it blows up and I am left thinking, should I jump in now or wait for it to die down, most of the time the leveling off is still higher than when the books started to peak. When I was putting my ASM run together the first appearances were killing me due to movie releases. Golden Age on the other hand I am usually buying steady and there is not usually the peaks like SA.

ASM is probably the most blue-chip title out there. I think I have put runs together 3 times & it always hurts to come back in!

I understand what you're saying on the  keys & first appearances in the run!

I've always been an ASM collector but the likes of FF 48 and 49 look so good I am tempted to sell off some of the run to try and get a copy. Prices are forever creeping up whenever I check in on these.

Some of what I've always thought of as 'nothing special' issues in the ASM run can still go for a few quid which leads me down the age old decision of trimming the collection to see if the hobby can pay for itself and fund just some blue chip keys only. Particularly because most of the keys are books that you know you'd love to have with no regrets.

22 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

It almost seems like more folks want Fantastic Four 49 than 48 these days.

DB440A7B-15EF-40E1-98E9-4279861ACB2E.thumb.jpeg.0fb2bf7b0cb18d4d38c05e949e04e11e.jpegc

as others just said here, this is just a better cover than 48, hands down. (also far less high grade copies on census, though not hard to find.) first surfer and galactus cover, can't beat it!

45 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

GPA shows a 9.4 sale in 2019 for about the same as I paid in 2017 ... are there 2020 data points I'm not aware of?

Probably not ... folks don't seem to be selling their 9.4's. Can't blame them. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

GPA shows a 9.4 sale in 2019 for about the same as I paid in 2017 ... are there 2020 data points I'm not aware of?

Lower grade copies that have exchanged in 2020 have seen solid gains of 10-50%, which could prime the next 9.4 that hits the market. 

6 hours ago, PKJ said:

Not to get too off topic, I collect cars along with about 15 other vices and always wanted a Ferrari, I have always kept hobby moneys separated, so I decided to sell my ASM 1-100 run to pay for the Ferrari. No regrets, love the car and the Comic collection showed major appreciation due to how and when it was bought. Today though, I could buy two Ferrari's for the money that 1-100 run would garner now. The Car has gained in value but nothing like the comics. So enjoy what you like and if a move brings something in you love, do it. 

Phillip

Am I missing something -- unless all high-grade books, how could 1-100 buy a person one ferrari let alone two ?!   Are we talking new Ferraris, or older used ones ..... ?

Just curious, 'cause I'd love to trade my ASM1-100 for a shiny new italian sportscar ......  any takers ? 

10 minutes ago, fishbone said:

Am I missing something -- unless all high-grade books, how could 1-100 buy a person one ferrari let alone two ?!   Are we talking new Ferraris, or older used ones ..... ?

Just curious, 'cause I'd love to trade my ASM1-100 for a shiny new italian sportscar ......  any takers ? 

Deal!! Take your pick. 

A1272C22-ED2F-405C-85C7-7C9537A0AE51.jpeg

253D2E8E-670A-4C4D-B015-7CE9C5A932E6.jpeg

20 minutes ago, PKJ said:

It was an older Ferrari,much like comics there were requirements like Gated shifted Solid roof etc although I have no desire to own one past a F355 personally. But the car is wedged in between the other two in the Garage. The ASM 1 was the lowest graded at a 5.0 the rest were 7ish and up. It may not exactly buy two, but I would suspect that run is worth 30% more at least now. 

Tucked in.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

What a lifestyle Birdhouse, GI Joe, and Raris

21 minutes ago, PKJ said:

It was an older Ferrari,much like comics there were requirements like Gated shifted Solid roof etc although I have no desire to own one past a F355 personally. But the car is wedged in between the other two in the Garage. The ASM 1 was the lowest graded at a 5.0 the rest were 7ish and up. It may not exactly buy two, but I would suspect that run is worth 30% more at least now. 

Tucked in.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

That's a beauty man !!! That's it, I'm selling !