• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
27 27

4,098 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

ff5 continues to be on fire. latest 4.0 copy just sold for $7,600 on CL tonight! gocollect and gpa are a ways behind on pricing for this book. 

38928818-7891-4AA8-AF94-1EB68C846D5A.png

Yes it’s bonkers.  Hard to find them too, rarely do you see a copy go for sale.  Collectors not letting go of these, part of reason it’s driving the price up. 

16 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Yes it’s bonkers.  Hard to find them too, rarely do you see a copy go for sale.  Collectors not letting go of these, part of reason it’s driving the price up. 

I had my 7.5 white pager up for sale here on the boards but no takers on my price.  So now it's back in my collection and no longer for sale

17 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

I spectacularly sold my 8.0 FF #5 just before the pop. Like literally a month before.

Epic fail  :facepalm:

31 minutes ago, StillOnly25Cents said:

spec sales like this make no sense to me 

Mephisto hasn’t seen 1 second of screen time in the MCU

Thanos carried a storyline over multiple MCU movies and I can get an Iron Man 55 in the same 7.5 grade for $725 (at least that is what current FMV is)

now I know Thanos isn’t on the cover or IM 55 and that SS 3 is a bit older of a book and maybe SS is harder to get in that grade being a square-bound book but come on now, who is the bigger bad

I continue to wonder how much of this is market manipulation

I agree with you!

I like Mephisto quite a bit in the Marvel universe, but I see him as a tough character to bring into the cinematic universe - assuming Disney/Marvel want to present to that PG & all-family type audience. Maybe a one-off movie villain for Dr. Strange? He’d seem to fit there best.

But - saying that - Surfer 3 is a tough book, at least in 9.0+ grades & white pages. A 7.5 at $2K seems like a reach right now.  I didn’t see the book - maybe it presented amazingly, or has pressing potential?

Disney/Marvel did a pretty good job with Thanos, but IM 55 is indeed very plentiful in 9.0+

14 hours ago, thor800 said:

Silver Surfer 3 cgc 7.5 just sold for $2k on ebay - not many higher grade copies for sale at the moment pushing price up it seems.

I sold my 9.6 a few years ago for something around that amount. 

Prices on this stuff make zero sense. The IM 55 comparison is a perfect example.

20 hours ago, thor800 said:

Silver Surfer 3 cgc 7.5 just sold for $2k on ebay - not many higher grade copies for sale at the moment pushing price up it seems.

I don't see that sale . . . only thing comparable to what you are describing I see is here and the actual sale price (if you go into the page source code) was $1350.  This is the last reported GPA price as well.  Still high, but not $2k.

2 hours ago, RickSp said:

The MCU seems to be getting too powerful.... insane that pure speculation for a character turning up on screen drives prices so crazy. I can’t even remember the prices these comics used to have when I’d visit a comic mart back in the early 2010’s.

I don't think it is the MCU getting too powerful, it is the ease at which people can use social media (YouTube) as a platform and be an "influencer" personality 

you watch some of these speculation vids and 90% of what they say in regards to a character appearing in the MCU and a related book appearance is "you never know"

Agnes from WandaVision becomes Agetha Harkness and then it tailspins into it's like we need to spec on the first appearance of her bunny rabbit that appeared in the show because maybe the bunny rabbit later becomes White Rabbit (ok, no one truly said that from what I saw but that is the mentality).... as if FF 94 should be a $100 book 

just people playing off of people's FOMO

52 minutes ago, StillOnly25Cents said:

I don't think it is the MCU getting too powerful, it is the ease at which people can use social media (YouTube) as a platform and be an "influencer" personality 

you watch some of these speculation vids and 90% of what they say in regards to a character appearing in the MCU and a related book appearance is "you never know"

Agnes from WandaVision becomes Agetha Harkness and then it tailspins into it's like we need to spec on the first appearance of her bunny rabbit that appeared in the show because maybe the bunny rabbit later becomes White Rabbit (ok, no one truly said that from what I saw but that is the mentality).... as if FF 94 should be a $100 book 

just people playing off of people's FOMO

Pretty much nailed it, I have seen multiple "Charlie Cox did xyz" comments in sales of certain books. Wanted to upgrade my DD16 and half the sellers were using that pitch, my thought is maybe, but I am buying it for the artist.