• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
27 27

4,098 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

The cover to FF #50 would be so much better if they didn't have Johnny strolling through campus on it.  That has always bugged me.   

Yeah there were certain style elements in many covers of the era that were just so pointlessly distracting from the main cover-art. Floating heads, chopped panel cut-outs, large amounts of text bubbles, etc.

Edited by jcjames

Great conversation. 

I think my love for SS never allowed for the cover of 48 to bother me. 

49, in my humble opinion, is the greatest cover of the SA. There are a ton of great covers of course and I'm sure there is a thread that debates this topic. But SS was my favorite character and no one did it better than Jack!

6 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Books like ST110 make this an interesting hobby. Dr. Strange is one of the great creations of the Marvel Silver Age. ST 110 doesn’t require him on the cover as much as Pep 22 didn’t have Archie bracing its cover. Dr. Strange’s first appearance and story inside the book is what defines it and makes it special for the same reason that first appearances in anthologies like Tales of Suspense instead of a first issue of a run are. The formula that results in a key book doesn’t necessarily require in the case of a first appearance, that the character be included on the cover to be awesome. It might be important for the “slab” focused collector? Let’s try and remember as collectors that it’s what’s inside the book that sometimes matters more than what’s on the cover. Unfortunately, there’s an inclination on the part of some, who because the book is encapsulated and will not be removed due its monetary value (understandable- I’m one of those), that all they can see is a cover and define the book on that basis. This can evolve into an implicitly biased view that we may not be aware of over time as we continue to look at the book through the “plastic lens.” Books published before third party grading, especially those that hit newsstands and candy stores during the Silver Age were intended to be read and viewed in their entirety by that generation of readers and by the posterity of comic book collectors that would later follow them. Let’s not lose sight of that and remember to include this view when we look at books like Strange Tales 110. One last thing and this goes out to the “investors” and flippers that jump into this hobby primarily for the money: you will never understand this since collecting comic books is a rich experience that gets better with time. The longer the time in most cases, the greater the experience (who can forget when Adventure Comics 247 was one of the biggest SA keys during the ‘80s?). I try explaining this to my “buy the comic because the movie is coming out friends.” This hobby is not defined by another medium despite the many successful shenanigans used by speculators. Sure, a quick buck is made when speculation of a book takes over. The “next hot book” crowd and the more sophisticated market (best word I can use since we really can’t have a market per se without some form of regulation to ensure fairness and transparency) manipulators who apply tactics to artificially inflate the value of a book continue to do their thing (see ebay). The means of comic book collecting also in many cases, justifies the ends. Just ask a true collector about the memories they have about first reading Strange Tales 110. It’s a memory that money can’t buy and one we take with us when the comic books are left behind for future generations so they can gain some insight into who we were and the times we lived in. Strange Tales 110 can bring meaning to my rephrasing the old adage about variety adding to the spice of comic book collecting. Finally, I’m not a big fan of ST 110 cover but it was always a must have for me because the good doctor is one of Marvel’s greatest and most unique SA creations.

john

So very true.  It has always been one of those if I see a nice raw one I will grab it. I know where a 4.0 that could be had for $2200 for a while. It does seem like the market is catching up to that price point at least for that grade.

8 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I really cannot get behind 1/6 of my cover devoted to the Watcher's legs....

... then you're obviously not a "leg man"      ... c'est la vie :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

Special War Series 4 1st Judo Master... man the characters they go w in these films r so obscure... waiting for Blue Beatle, Question, Adam strange.. those type of characters 

Love Judo Master.  Looking forward to seeing him in the show with Peacemaker (John Cena).  And that Special War Series 4 is not easy to find, especially in nice shape.

Edited by MusterMark

Maybe the reason for Johnny goes to college was to attract younger readers or at least not to lose them to Teen Titans and Adventure Comics. At that point they might have thought they might be losing some younger readers as the storys were getting more complex. 

Edited by Professor Chaos