• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Maybe the reason for Johnny goes to college was to attract younger readers or at least not to lose them to Teen Titans and Adventure Comics. At that point they might have thought they might be losing some younger readers as the storys were getting more complex. 

I don’t know about that. Marvelmania was picking up big time steam in 1966 because of the complexity of the stories and the realistic portrayal of the characters’ personalities and personal lives. I think the little pic of Johnny was included simply to advertise another component of the book that focuses on a real world moment in his life. By the way, did Johnny ever attend a class?🤔

6 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

I don’t know about that. Marvelmania was picking up big time steam in 1966 because of the complexity of the stories and the realistic portrayal of the characters’ personalities and personal lives. I think the little pic of Johnny was included simply to advertise another component of the book that focuses on a real world moment in his life. By the way, did Johnny ever attend a class?🤔

Sure it was picking up big steam in 66. More adults were starting to get into it because the stories were getting better.The storylines were getting more complex which may have caused some little kids to go to the simpler more one shot storys a lot of the DC series were doing at the time. I'm just looking at it through the view of the marketers, they want to reach as many customers as possible and draw them away from the competition. Of course I don't know for sure because I wasn't there but it seems to make sense. Kids can relate to school stuff. Its like when a Hollywood movie puts Mathew McConahauy in a movie even though his role isn't really necessary in the film. Its just to draw in more women to the theaters. 

And Johnny did go to college . Thats where he met Wyatt Wingfoot and got bullied by Whitey Mullins. Then he met Crystal the Inhuman but she broke his heart and I think he dropped out. Not sure if he ever returned. Pretty sure thats what happened.

Let that be a lesson to you youngsters out there. Don't get too serious with a girl so young. Finish school first, they'll be plenty of time for romance after you get your degree. 

Edited by Professor Chaos

1 hour ago, Professor Chaos said:

Sure it was picking up big steam in 66. More adults were starting to get into it because the stories were getting better.The storylines were getting more complex which may have caused some little kids to go to the simpler more one shot storys a lot of the DC series were doing at the time. I'm just looking at it through the view of the marketers, they want to reach as many customers as possible and draw them away from the competition. Of course I don't know for sure because I wasn't there but it seems to make sense. Kids can relate to school stuff. Its like when a Hollywood movie puts Mathew McConahauy in a movie even though his role isn't really necessary in the film. Its just to draw in more women to the theaters. 

And Johnny did go to college . Thats where he met Wyatt Wingfoot and got bullied by Whitey Mullins. Then he met Crystal the Inhuman but she broke his heart and I think he dropped out. Not sure if he ever returned. Pretty sure thats what happened.

Let that be a lesson to you youngsters out there. Don't get too serious with a girl so young. Finish school first, they'll be plenty of time for romance after you get your degree. 

Wyatt’s intro in this book could actually cause it to “heat up” if he is involved in the She-hulk series.

I know that Marvel was popular with teenagers and university students, essentially baby boomers, in the 60s but I’m quite sure that there were very few adult comic collectors, relative to today’s vast numbers. The previous “silent” generation grew up in a much more serious world than the one we have been blessed to grow up in and comic book collecting was not high on their list of priorities.

1 hour ago, JohnH19 said:

I know that Marvel was popular with teenagers and university students, essentially baby boomers, in the 60s but I’m quite sure that there were very few adult comic collectors, relative to today’s vast numbers. The previous “silent” generation grew up in a much more serious world than the one we have been blessed to grow up in and comic book collecting was not high on their list of priorities.

By adults I meant over 18, college age mainly. Young adults. Maybe Johnny going "to university" was just a means to bring Wyatt into the realm. I kind of lost track after the Black Panther storyline was introduced. My theory was just a theory regarding Johnny Goes To College, a possibility as to why they put that on the cover of 50.

18 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

I literally don't see any rationality behind the "advice" about women. Go nuts, fellas. Do you.

4 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I literally don't see any rationality behind the "advice" about women. Go nuts, fellas. Do you.

I didn't listen to this advice!  I met my wife the second year of college and 15+ years later, we are going strong with 2 kids and a robust comic book collection! All the key ingredients to a healthy relationship. 

11 hours ago, PeterPark said:

7 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I didn't listen to this advice!  I met my wife the second year of college and 15+ years later, we are going strong with 2 kids and a robust comic book collection! All the key ingredients to a healthy relationship. 

Oh Jeez. Oh Boy. Well it was kind of a joke. But my point was for boys to be careful falling head over heals over a girl at a young age to such a degree that when you break up,( and statistically and realisticaly most teenage romances do come to an end, and not always a pleasant one), that you would let it ruin your life. I've seen it happen many times and even I've been guitly of it a few times. If that's not rational then forgive me. 

Edited by Professor Chaos

5 hours ago, Spawnfreak said:

Epic fail; selling TMNT Adventures for $19.95 6 mo. ago!

TMNT Adventures 1 of 3 001.jpg

TMNT Adventures 2 of 3 001.jpg

TMNT Adventures  3 of 3.jpg

That's ok - I sold mine for $9.99 for all 3 :facepalm: