• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,099 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, littledoom said:

Fantastic Four 51 has been criminally undervalued and under appreciated for decades.. that comic should be Hulk 102 or even FF 112 values. 

FF #51 is an all-time favorite and, IMHO, the definitive Kirby Thing cover.  Been a while since I got mine, so I'm not up to speed on the latest prices, but if you're saying it's cheaper than FF #112 then I agree that is criminal.

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

That's because FF 4 has been consistently climbing for as long as I can remember. I always found it way too expensive for my taste. I'm sure it will keep it's worth, it's always been a hot book, but I don't expect a crazy climb year over year. FF 6 by comparison has been dormant for years, not moving at all and always falling back down to older prices after small climbs. Now it is actually hot for the first time ever. It is climbing ridiculously.

Also HA gets the same prices or higher for SA Marvel. 

Comic Link in their January auction had a FF #4 CGC 3.0 sell for $2800

4 hours ago, loboagain said:

Comic Link in their January auction had a FF #4 CGC 3.0 sell for $2800

Yeah exactly, that proves my point. That's less than a 50% increase year over year while FF 6 has over 100% increase.

FF6 is on freaken fire right now

Edited by William-James88

On 2/7/2021 at 9:25 PM, jeffreyk said:

Fantastic Four 1 in cgc 5 0 sold for $24K on Heritage tonight.  I hope this is a sign that this book is heating up again!

FF1 never lost heat since it started its' percolation awhile back.  This blue-chip key remains at a hot simmer and has been for awhile.  Not many 5.0's get auctioned off so you really shouldn't factor the last sold HA 5.0 copy as an indication or a sign of 'heating up.'  I mean you can if you want to but focusing on one infrequent 5.0 sale is not how I would correlate the overall hotness of this book.  Look at lower-grades that sell with more frequency perhaps. My 2 cents. :preach:

X-Men #1 is still running. It costs $10K+ now to join the 4.0+ club, and 3.5s are likely at that mark now as well. Heck, $5K will only get you a 1.5 now - just two years ago that was enough to land a 4.0. 

Most of the early issues are still popping, which makes sense since they have been priced so low until the past year. I am glad I bought as many auction lots/singles as I did the past two years. X-Men 14 has been running up especially fast, which is awesome IMHO as that was the first back issue copy of X-Men that I bought as a 13 year old collector starting out. It a VFish copy in 1988 from a local seller at the first comic show I went to, and I wish I had kept it as it had the best color and gloss of any copy I have owned since then. 

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, Roger66 said:

FF1 never lost heat since it started its' percolation awhile back.  This blue-chip key remains at a hot simmer and has been for awhile.  Not many 5.0's get auctioned off so you really shouldn't factor the last sold HA 5.0 copy as an indication or a sign of 'heating up.'  I mean you can if you want to but focusing on one infrequent 5.0 sale is not how I would correlate the overall hotness of this book.  Look at lower-grades that sell with more frequency perhaps. My 2 cents. :preach:

Very true, I have wanted to upgrade mine but the 4.0-6.0 rarely come up. CL has a decent selection to chose from this month.

Just now, PKJ said:

Very true, I have wanted to upgrade mine but the 4.0-6.0 rarely come up. CL has a decent selection to chose from this month.

I am sure private unrecorded / dealer sales occur with more frequency in this grade.  This key should be at least a solid 5k+ a point by year's end (at least in 5.0 and under).  My 2 cents :preach:

37 minutes ago, kimik said:

X-Men #1 is still running. It costs $10K+ now to join the 4.0+ club, and 3.5s are likely at that mark now as well. Heck, $5K will only get you a 1.5 now - just two years ago that was enough to land a 4.0. 

Most of the early issues are still popping, which makes sense since they have been priced so low until the past year. I am glad I bought as many auction lots/singles as I did the past two years. X-Men 14 has been running up especially fast, which is awesome IMHO as that was the first back issue copy of X-Men that I bought as a 13 year old collector starting out. It a VFish copy in 1988 from a local seller at the first comic show I went to, and I wish I had kept it as it had the best color and gloss of any copy I have owned since then. 

This raggedy-poop copy just sold yesterday for $3,500.00.  This eBay sale speaks volumes about the state of this most desirable key and what lengths individuals will go to own a piece of history.  :preach:

XXXXXXXXXXXX.jpg

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Bought my 4.0 copy a year and a half ago. Paid a little more than that. So glad I did. 

I think every book is heating up so much so that I can’t even keep up with SA ASMs, which are my wheelhouse.

But things could be worse - I tip toe into the hot modern section and I’m so lost. Those prices make even less sense (sens lolthrowback spelling to those who remember what’s his name with 1000 name changes) to me

Why has X-men 129 (first Kitty P) been skyrocketing? (Movie announcement?)

I've been updating some of my comic values and saw X129 in 9.8 went from .....

$1875 -12 month average to

$2700 -90 day average to

$3245 -month of February to

$3840 last sale

What's going on???????  That is a HUGE price increase in a short time.

3 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Why has X-men 129 (first Kitty P) been skyrocketing? (Movie announcement?)

I've been updating some of my comic values and saw X129 in 9.8 went from .....

$1875 -12 month average to

$2700 -90 day average to

$3245 -month of February to

$3840 last sale

What's going on???????  That is a HUGE price increase in a short time.

Living in the realm of 9.8's will inherently result in huge swings... I took a peek at 9.6's, and then 9.4's...and saw no such findings....

37 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Living in the realm of 9.8's will inherently result in huge swings... I took a peek at 9.6's, and then 9.4's...and saw no such findings....

9.8 hasn't been a "swing", the last 5 sales are solidly higher than anything sold last year or in January

-----------------------------------------------------------

Modest increases in just 6 weeks

------------------------------------------------------

On Jan 3 = $307

On Feb14 = $430

That's a pretty big increase in 6 weeks

----------------------------------------------------------------

On Jan 3 = $250

On Feb 14 = $415

That's a pretty big increase in 6 weeks

----------------------------------------------------------

Modest but steady increases in 6 weeks

-------------------------------------------------------------

Steady increases for 6 weeks

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm telling you...... something is up with this comic 

Edited by gadzukes

3 hours ago, Roger66 said:

This raggedy-poop copy just sold yesterday for $3,500.00.  This eBay sale speaks volumes about the state of this most desirable key and what lengths individuals will go to own a piece of history.  :preach:

XXXXXXXXXXXX.jpg

That blows my mind! 

Where does X1 sit in comparison to Hulk 1 and FF1 these days? 

This run up is incredible. 

19 minutes ago, october said:

X-Men 1 is approaching Hulk 1 values in lower grades, which is totally ludicrous. 

I love X-Men 1, but it's not in the same league as Hulk 1. Not by a mile. 

Most collectors will agree as Hulk 1 much more rare. But in the end it will be popularity vote that matters.  If the MCU in 10 years or so makes the X-Men into a bigger property then the Avengers were, holy smokes $$$ x-men.  

Look at what MCU did to TOS39, GOTG, etc.  

9 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Most collectors will agree as Hulk 1 much more rare. But in the end it will be popularity vote that matters.  If the MCU in 10 years or so makes the X-Men into a bigger property then the Avengers were, holy smokes $$$ x-men.  

Look at what MCU did to TOS39, GOTG, etc.  

Maybe, but at this point the price is being driven by nothing but speculation. And these spikes tend to normalize over a number of years. Hulk 1 become relatively cheap in comparison, then has its own price bump. 

I have a few copies of each, so covering my bases either way. 

It wasn't long ago that Hulk 1 was on a similar hot streak. Maybe 5 years ago?

It probably wasn't this pronounced. 

I can understand the appeal of X1.  Speculation, great first appearances, but it shouldn't be understated that allot of new money coming into the hobby is from kids who grew up in the 90s. And the Xmen were huge in the 90s.  There is considerable demand. 

I think Hulk will have his day and pull ahead of X1 in the long run, but this has been an impressive run up. 

I'll admit, I think X-Men 1 is a more important book than Hulk 1. Setting aside the rarity argument, X-Men 1 introduces anywhere from 5-7 crucial characters in Marvel comics (depending on how you feel about Iceman and Angel), including inarguably a top-3 Marvel villain in Magneto.

2 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

I'll admit, I think X-Men 1 is a more important book than Hulk 1. Setting aside the rarity argument, X-Men 1 introduces anywhere from 5-7 crucial characters in Marvel comics (depending on how you feel about Iceman and Angel), including inarguably a top-3 Marvel villain in Magneto.

It's a fair point. 

From the hobbyist stand point, there was always something about those early first appearance. TOS39, Hulk 1, JIM83, TTA27 (putting aside AF15 and FF1).  

Hulk was the most popular character outside of Spidey and FF, and Hulk 1 had a relatively low print counts, so its had a big place in the market for decades.  The 1963 keys (X1 and Avengers 1) occurred when marvel was a bit more established.  Higher print counts and not as "important" to the marvel universe. 

Movies have changed the narrative. The Marvel Universe is more defined by the big screen than it was historically. So I think old school collectors will continue to prefer the 1962 keys over X1. 

From a pure significance stand point, X1 accomplished allot. Magneto is a great villain and think of all the magnificat stories that came through that title.