• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I think you're 100% right that we should not rewrite history.  The question of which books had which levels of importance at the time they were published should be settled and indisputable.  For example, it shouldn't be the least bit controversial to say that it's likely none of the other Marvel books would have existed without FF #1, or that the introduction of Spider-Man in AF #15 cemented something truly unique and special about Marvel superhero characters that permeated the entire line and influenced everything that came after.  X-Men, on the other hand, was (at the time) a more derivative and unspectacular book, less influential on the other Marvel Silver Age material than its peer books.  It was, rightly, a lower-tier book alongside Daredevil or Tales to Astonish.

So when you say that Hulk #181 or GSX #1 are more "important" than X-Men #1, I get what you're saying.  Each of those books was much more immediately influential on the rest of Marvel's output and what came after.  I don't think anyone would dispute that.

Now, with all of that said, it's not rewriting history for the perception of X-Men #1 to change over time, when viewed through the lens of the present day.  Because of the mammoth success of the X-Men since their relaunch in 1975 and their very successful movie / cartoon franchise, we can draw a line back to X-Men #1 and assign it greater importance than it had at the time.  The same goes for the emergence of Magneto (over the decades) as a top-3 villain across the entire Marvel Universe, or the way Marvel so expertly developed the concept of mutants (long after X-Men #1) as a metaphor for teenage angst, the marginalized and oppressed, and anyone who just wishes they could be understood and loved on their own terms.  All of those things elevate X-Men #1 in hindsight.

To take an extreme, hypothetical, intentionally goofy example, if somehow Marvel built a wildly successful film franchise around Unus the Untouchable that spawned 10 sequels and a couple dozen Academy Awards, you can bet that X-Men #8 would become an incredibly "important" book.  But nobody could say that the book had any special significance or importance at the time it was published.

Well said and exactly correct! 

1 minute ago, october said:

I think it's odd that people are twisting themselves into pretzel logic and trying to rewrite 50+ years of backissue history because in the last six months speculators have chosen X-Men 1 as the book dejour to run up to the moon. 

The 80s was 30-40 years ago. Where were all these rabid X-Men 1 fans just three years ago when prices were a fraction of what they are now? Did they just wake up, en masse, and say "hey, those comics I read 25 years ago and the cartoon I watched when I was 12 were awesome"? This is movie speculation run amok, pure and simple. Movie speculation doesn't make one comic more significant than the other, it just makes the market for one more irrational. 

You can say that about every comic book then. Prices were dead in the water for every key until the first wave of movies in the early 2000s. Then they took off again with the success of Avengers and have not looked back.

33 minutes ago, october said:

I think it's odd that people are twisting themselves into pretzel logic and trying to rewrite 50+ years of backissue history because in the last six months speculators have chosen X-Men 1 as the book dejour to run up to the moon. 

The 80s was 30-40 years ago. Where were all these rabid X-Men 1 fans just three years ago when prices were a fraction of what they are now? Did they just wake up, en masse, and say "hey, those comics I read 25 years ago and the cartoon I watched when I was 12 were awesome"? This is movie speculation run amok, pure and simple. Movie speculation doesn't make one comic more significant than the other, it just makes the market for one more irrational. 

X-Men #1 was the first big Key I bought 8 years ago when I got back into collecting and discovered the whole CGC thing.  It was a book I always dreamed of owning and was so happy when I did.  I always wanted it much more than any other Silver Age Key and when I sold my entire collection a few years later for a house purchase it was the lone book I kept (don't feel bad I have rebuilt the collection since then :) ).

I also don't think saying GSXM1 should be THE key for a 80's X-Men fan is correct - as I think that the GSXM1 team and those stories were largely shaped by Magneto, Cyclops, Jean, and Xavier (think of the run from 94 to 142 and how integral Jean and Cyclops and then all of the 90s stuff was Magento focused throughout).  All that is to say, GSXM1 is a monster book but not as important as X-Men #1 (but Magneto is one of my favorite comic characters - so I admit my bias here :) )  

Wow some spirited argument here.  Fun to read.  Yes history is history which we can’t change.  However, things do change.  What was deemed very important in history can fall out of favor if the political culture changes, for example the confederate flag.  With that being said, I can see X-men 1 being more  popular and valuable than Hulk 1 as someone else said, his story is done and Marvel does not has any more plans for Hulk.  Mutants appears for now to be where MCU might be headed.  

22 hours ago, Roger66 said:

I am sure private unrecorded / dealer sales occur with more frequency in this grade.  This key should be at least a solid 5k+ a point by year's end (at least in 5.0 and under).  My 2 cents :preach:

So, if I understand you correctly, you foresee an X-Men #1 CGC 3.0 being worth $15,000 by the end of 2021? I purchased this book a couple of years ago (I think late 2019) for $4,500. It's just hard for me to believe that a book can increase 233% in a little over a year.

25 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

So, if I understand you correctly, you foresee an X-Men #1 CGC 3.0 being worth $15,000 by the end of 2021? I purchased this book a couple of years ago (I think late 2019) for $4,500. It's just hard for me to believe that a book can increase 233% in a little over a year.

I mean a 3.0 sold for around 10000 on ebay if an x men movie if officially announced 15000 doesn't sound like a reach 

Edited by silversurfer275

3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

It's more important in the context of building and developing Marvel. 

To that end, yes FF1 is the most important book of the SA (in my opinion). It's the screen saver on my phone and I personally put it higher than AF15.  Again, probably not a popular opinion.  AF15 is closely behind due to the magnitude of Spiderman. Obviously Spidey rules the SA and I don't dispute that, but I place more significance on FF1. 

I'm also a history major and part of what I enjoy about this hobby is the historical context. So books like "Crime Does not pay 22" hold more significance to me than other keys that are far more valuable. 

You should have seen how excited I was too get an issue of Will Eisner's Spirit weekly.  The value is $50, but it was really important to the comic book industry in the early 1940s and thats what excites me. 

Crime Does Not Pay 22 is a ridiculously huge book and so hard to find. I was ecstatic to find a 27 a couple weeks ago because those early issues are all so tough. 24 wins out because of the cover, but 22's importance cannot be understated.

29 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Crime Does Not Pay 22 is a ridiculously huge book and so hard to find. I was ecstatic to find a 27 a couple weeks ago because those early issues are all so tough. 24 wins out because of the cover, but 22's importance cannot be understated.

It's on my short list, that's for sure. There is a coverless of 22 at MCS I've been eyeing.

Today's new generation of collectors along with the open purses are clearly showing which blue chip keys they prefer.  As a result it defines the pecking order of the most desirable. In my mind I will always have 2 lists - one being which are more valuable and the other being which I personally covet.  Regarding the current comic market I think this says it best. :preach:

“Mad Hatter: “Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”
“Have you guessed the riddle yet?” the Hatter said, turning to Alice again.
“No, I give it up,” Alice replied: “What’s the answer?”
“I haven’t the slightest idea,” said the Hatter”
 Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Hello all! 

first time poster, long time lurker - I’ve been seriously collecting for about 20 years and recently picked up a gorgeous CGC 4.5 - a month ago (I’ll post a picture once I figure out how to!)

On the topic of X1’s rank in the SA Marvel hierarchy, I personally feel that X1’s recent explosion is long overdue. While I appreciate and understand the more historical ranking of IH1 over it, I myself feel that the top 3 should probably be FF1, AF15, X1. 

FF1 is THE first SA “Marvel” book, it kicks off the legendary Kirby/Lee run that transitions Marvel from the atlas/monster era into superheroes, and the level of creativity and influence/characters and concepts that came from the SA FF run can never be overstated. 

AF15 needs no explanation, obviously Spider-Man is Marvel’s top dog and the sheer amount of books, characters, spin-offs, films/ branding makes Spider-Man arguably a top 3 comic book character period. 

Now I can understand from a historical/collecting standpoint having IH1 as a top 3 book, but outside of being a little older, perceived scarcity and a tougher dark cover - how does the Hulk character stack up? He’s a Jekyll/Hyde type monster character that helped bridge the gap between the Kirby monster books into the superhero books (along side FF’s Thing/Ben Grimm) with some Cold War atomic flair. The X-men, by comparison have near limitless storytelling possibilities with endless characters and concepts that continue to this day. Hulk has also been nowhere NEAR as popular or as influential as the X-men, where X1 gives you multiple important first appearances, the origin of the entire mutant/ superior concept, AND a villain first appearance in Magneto, who has arguably become a top 3 Marvel villain of all time. 

Think about every mutant character ever made in marvel tracing their origins directly back to X1. Think about every single version of an “X” team tracing its original back to X1. Yeah X-men’s original run was not as popular in the 60s, and it fell into reprints until GSX1, but the concept/brand has only grown larger decade after decade, where Hulk has had some time in the spotlight but is ultimately a lesser creation by comparison. 

But hey, that’s just my opinion :headbang:

4 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

Absolutely. Comparisons in this crazy world we live in, if Bitcoin can go up 450% past year, if Tesla can go up 750% this past year, well 233% for a comic isn’t exactly out of reach.  

Regarding comics, other comparisons could be TMNT1, ASM300, UF4 in the past year probably over 250% gains in many grades. 

4 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

He was talking about FF1 here.

5 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

as someone else said, his story is done and Marvel does not has any more plans for Hulk.  Mutants appears for now to be where MCU might be headed.  

As far as we are aware of....but I would be shocked if there’s not a Hulk/Wolverine encounter during the X-Men era of the MCU.