• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Did you win that 3.0 on eBay last night?

Nah, I'm wrapping up time payments on another big book, then I think I need to pull back from big purchases for a little bit.

I kind of want to wait and see that happens with prices as more people get vaccinated and society slowly regains some normalcy.  

7 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Nah, I'm wrapping up time payments on another big book, then I think I need to pull back from big purchases for a little bit.

I kind of want to wait and see that happens with prices as more people get vaccinated and society slowly regains some normalcy.  

Smart.  Too much excess money from lack of travel.  

11 hours ago, Readcomix said:

As far as we are aware of....but I would be shocked if there’s not a Hulk/Wolverine encounter during the X-Men era of the MCU.

X-Men era has to be as in depth and as long as Avengers, especially with all the run off movies like Ant man Dr Strange ect ect. A Wolverine encounter with Hulk would have to be in a Wolverine stand alone movie imo (obviously connected to the MCU). Be interesting to see a Jean Grey stand alone, also a better job on Apocalypse. Magneto origin story would be cool...maybe they could reinvigorate a Gambit movie, tho I've moved passed it tbh. So much stuff they could do with X-Men both earthly and inter galactic....I just hope they go in the right direction, and I think the sky is the limit for X-Men 1

They definitely ruined the storyline in the X-Men movies with Mystique imo

Edited by Hollywood1892

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

X-Men era has to be as in depth and as long as Avengers, especially with all the run off movies like Ant man Dr Strange ect ect. A Wolverine encounter with Hulk would have to be in a Wolverine stand alone movie imo (obviously connected to the MCU). Be interesting to see a Jean Grey stand alone, also a better job on Apocalypse. Magneto origin story would be cool...maybe they could reinvigorate a Gambit movie, tho I've moved passed it tbh. So much stuff they could do with X-Men both earthly and inter galactic....I just hope they go in the right direction, and I think the sky is the limit for X-Men 1

Agreed, I get it....but at the end of the day none of those enticing possibilities we as fans would enjoy has as much box office potential as those 2 meeting. So Hollywood will find a way eventually. Any way. They could loosely adapt “Planet Hulk” as an x-men focused concept, making hulk the big bad, so to speak. Look at how loosely Cap Civil War was an adaption of the Civil War comic. Just one possibility.

14 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:
18 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

So, if I understand you correctly, you foresee an X-Men #1 CGC 3.0 being worth $15,000 by the end of 2021? I purchased this book a couple of years ago (I think late 2019) for $4,500. It's just hard for me to believe that a book can increase 233% in a little over a year.

Absolutely. Comparisons in this crazy world we live in, if Bitcoin can go up 450% past year, if Tesla can go up 750% this past year, well 233% for a comic isn’t exactly out of reach.  

Regarding comics, other comparisons could be TMNT1, ASM300, UF4 in the past year probably over 250% gains in many grades. 

Yeah, everything is running now. Look at how many Copper and Modern books in 9.8 are selling for several thousands now after being in the $200-$500 range last year. It is a great time to be a collector with a lot of inventory in all sorts of different hobbies.................

14 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:
   19 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

So, if I understand you correctly, you foresee an X-Men #1 CGC 3.0 being worth $15,000 by the end of 2021? I purchased this book a couple of years ago (I think late 2019) for $4,500. It's just hard for me to believe that a book can increase 233% in a little over a year.

Absolutely. Comparisons in this crazy world we live in, if Bitcoin can go up 450% past year, if Tesla can go up 750% this past year, well 233% for a comic isn’t exactly out of reach.  

Regarding comics, other comparisons could be TMNT1, ASM300, UF4 in the past year probably over 250% gains in many grades. 

Yeah, everything is running now. Look at how many Copper and Modern books in 9.8 are selling for several thousands now after being in the $200-$500 range last year. It is a great time to be a collector with a lot of inventory in all sorts of different hobbies.................

X-MEN 3.0 $15,000   ??!!!!         ok, that would be awesome !!

29 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

That one popped a couple months ago, I thought...probably continue climbing...I've been looking for it but its a ghost out there

Why though? Is this really a character that we think the MCU is going to build around?

I remember when, during the heat of it all leading up to Thor Dark World, you could sell that Thor #344 first Malekith for like $60-100 easily. Now? That book is staler than forgotten toast in a toaster. This is a Silver Age book so granted, it will always have a bit higher value due to age but for people to be spending $200, 300, 500+ on a nice copy seems incredibly risky. 

Edited by comicginger1789

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Why though? Is this really a character that we think the MCU is going to build around?

I remember when, during the heat of it all leading up to Thor Dark World, you could sell that Thor #344 first Malekith for like $60-100 easily. Now? That book is staler than forgotten toast in a toaster. This is a Silver Age book so granted, it will always have a bit higher value due to age but for people to be spending $200, 300, 500+ on a nice copy seems incredibly risky. 

I'm just looking for overlooked copies...I am nowhere near market value in my own perceived value...

Just now, PeterPark said:

I'm just looking for overlooked copies...I am nowhere near market value in my own perceived value...

I hear ya. If I found a mid grade copy for $60 or less, I might consider it. And even then, I would be tempted to sell because this is a book I see cooling off hard and fast as soon as we are a month removed from this show's end and are diving into the next thing. 

5 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I'm hoping marvel replicates FF12's cover in a movie. I want to see that scene come to life...would be an epic nod to fans.

It would be kind of cool if they picked classic covers and wrote movies around them.   Imagine a movie built around the cover of ASM 33 or yes FF12.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

However, this would imply that you are willing to sell your collectibles to take advantage of this run-up. I'm not sure that applies to all of us.

For me, I would not sell my copy of Black Knight #1 CGC 4.5. At one point in time, my investment had increased by 233%. I still chose not to sell it. My reasoning was, "If I sell this copy, I probably never get another copy like this for a reasonable price." Completing my run of Black Knight #1 - #5 was important to me, so I held on to my BK #1 even though I could have tripled my money back.

45 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

It would be kind of cool if they picked classic covers and wrote movies around them.   Imagine a movie built around the cover of ASM 33 or yes FF12.

YEAH BABY!!!  I've been looking forward since the union of Marvel / Disney with Fox for the MCU to pay homage to the various classic "Battle Covers" of Marvel.

1) Fantastic Four #112 (Hulk vs Thing - Love this Battle Cover)

2) Silver Surfer #4 (Thor vs Silver Surfer - Love this Battle Cover)

3) Sub-Mariner #8 (Thing vs Sub-Mariner - Love this Battle Cover)

4) And of Course...Hulk #181 (Wolverine vs Hulk - Who doesn't love this cover)

Just now, da.amazing.spiderman said:

YEAH BABY!!!  I've been looking forward since the union of Marvel / Disney with Fox for the MCU to pay homage to the various classic "Battle Covers" of Marvel.

1) Fantastic Four #112 (Hulk vs Thing - Love this Battle Cover)

2) Silver Surfer #4 (Thor vs Silver Surfer - Love this Battle Cover)

3) Sub-Mariner #8 (Thing vs Sub-Mariner - Love this Battle Cover)

4) And of Course...Hulk #181 (Wolverine vs Hulk - Who doesn't love this cover)

Surfer 4?  hm that could be very cool.  And the director could attempt to capture that image in the movie.

50 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

However, this would imply that you are willing to sell your collectibles to take advantage of this run-up. I'm not sure that applies to all of us.

For me, I would not sell my copy of Black Knight #1 CGC 4.5. At one point in time, my investment had increased by 233%. I still chose not to sell it. My reasoning was, "If I sell this copy, I probably never get another copy like this for a reasonable price." Completing my run of Black Knight #1 - #5 was important to me, so I held on to my BK #1 even though I could have tripled my money back.

Sure, but for every story that is similar to yours there is a counter story of “I wish I had sold it when it was hot.”  

I can’t remember the exact saying but it’s something like, “don’t get caught holding after the ship has left” or after harvesting or something like that. 

3 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

The rule of thumb I go with is to buy multiple copies of keys when I am hunting for them. It makes it easier to part with a copy/multiple copies down the road if prices spike. 

Timing the sales is the hard part. I went from 5 X-Men 1 and 10 GSX 1 at the end of 2019, to just one of each now by starting to sell them last year. Should have waited another 12 months. lol 

Edited by kimik