• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

So here is a question for anyone, who chooses to answer.

Without looking at GPA or any other reference guide. ???

IF you were given a choice to own one of the following 3 superlative SA key comics - a gift <3 - which you could NOT sell or trade for 5 years - which book would you choose? :ohnoez:

Keep in mind in this hypothetical all 3 are the same grade, present similarly outstanding with similar innocuous defects and the same exact PQ (say OW/W)

Choose only 1 - I suspect the answers might all be evenly split. :preach:

JIM 83 CGC 6.0

TOS 39 CGC 6.0

X-MEN 1 CGC 6.0

18 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

IF you were given a choice to own one of the following 3 superlative SA key comics - a gift <3 - which you could NOT sell or trade for 5 years - which book would you choose? :ohnoez:

Keep in mind in this hypothetical all 3 are the same grade, present similarly outstanding with similar innocuous defects and the same exact PQ (say OW/W)

JIM 83 CGC 6.0

TOS 39 CGC 6.0

X-MEN 1 CGC 6.0

JIM 83 because it’s a tough to find book in high grade.  The others ones are much more common. 

20 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

JIM 83 CGC 6.0

TOS 39 CGC 6.0

X-MEN 1 CGC 6.0

I surprise myself...and I want to say JIM 83...but I would take the X-Men 1...:sorry:

Edited by PeterPark

4 hours ago, kimik said:

The rule of thumb I go with is to buy multiple copies of keys when I am hunting for them. It makes it easier to part with a copy/multiple copies down the road if prices spike. 

Timing the sales is the hard part. I went from 5 X-Men 1 and 10 GSX 1 at the end of 2019, to just one of each now by starting to sell them last year. Should have waited another 12 months. lol 

Bro I feel ya.  I sold 5 DD1’s, 4 or 5 high grade GSX1, and an X-men 1 all early last year when Covid hit in March because the stock market crashed and I didn’t know if the world would collapse.  Yep, should have waited another 12 months.  

5 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Sure, but for every story that is similar to yours there is a counter story of “I wish I had sold it when it was hot.”  

I can’t remember the exact saying but it’s something like, “don’t get caught holding after the ship has left” or after harvesting or something like that. 

With comics, I'm ok if I'm left holding the bag..... Or harvest. 

As much as it would stink to lose the value of the books, I collect for the joy of it.  Holding the bag would likely mean opportunities to get books I couldn't otherwise afford. 

1 hour ago, Roger66 said:

JIM 83 CGC 6.0

TOS 39 CGC 6.0

X-MEN 1 CGC 6.0

X-men 1, it's the only book with a character I truly love and wish I owned.

1 hour ago, Roger66 said:

JIM 83 CGC 6.0

TOS 39 CGC 6.0

X-MEN 1 CGC 6.0

I want the X-Men 1. That's a grail book for me.

4 hours ago, Roger66 said:

JIM 83 CGC 6.0

TOS 39 CGC 6.0

X-MEN 1 CGC 6.0

if i didnt have any of those, it'd be a tossup between jim83 and xmen1. i always wanted xmen 1, even as a kid. when i was around 14, i showed my parents a price guide, showing xmen1 in vf/nm- to be worth about $400. i explained why it would be a good investment, and to my surprise, my dad agreed to give me $400 to get a copy at a convention i was about to attend in nyc. of course back then, conventions were pretty small, and no dealer had an xmen1 for sale, except for a lousy looking copy that i did not want. sadly, i returned the $ and did not pursue the book any further. 

jim83 is, along with af15, ff1, and xmen1, one of the greatest all time first appearance covers, in my opinion. i always loved it too, but was more into xmen than thor as a kid.

i picked up jim83 before either xmen1 or tos39, so perhaps that's the one i would pick again. 

6 hours ago, Roger66 said:

JIM 83 CGC 6.0

TOS 39 CGC 6.0

X-MEN 1 CGC 6.0

Being a fan of Magneto, I’ve wanted this book for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, something always comes up when I see one within reach and “BAM!”, something else takes priority and another couple grand gets added to the value regardless of grade. I still think I may own it one day but it’s gonna take an alignment of the stars. Part of the fun of hunting it down though.