• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Readcomix said:

But I do think TTA 27's place is cemented in the Marvel keys pantheon.

Agreed.  I expect one could write volumes about Hank Pym's involvement, direct or indirect, in so many aspects of the comics and the MCU.  Although Disney re-wrote Ultron's creation as the work of Tony Starks instead of Hank Pym in Phase 3, for practical reasons I'm sure, Ant Man/Wasp and Vision played a prominent role in the MCU.  And there's a new Antman/Wasp movie in the works as part of Phase 4, which will presumably include Michael Douglas's Pym.    

Edited by Pantodude

I don't know when TTA27 entered the discussion, nor do I even know what it stands for.  I will say that the other books (Hulk 1, X-Men 1, Tales of Suspense 39, Journey Into Mystery 83, Amazing Fantasy 15) are all first appearances that I've known since I was about 7.  They also happen to be first appearances of Marvel's A and B tier characters.  Every other character of that era is C tier or lower (prior to their introductions in the MCU).  To me, that explains why those books are more desirable and more expensive.

I’m a sucker for Ant-Man because I watched The Incredible Shrinking Man on TV as a kid and loved it.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that Kirby didn’t like the character but you may want to fact check me on that.  So the King didn’t have fun drawing this?  Impossible 

72F90401-9AAD-4C7B-A537-C35DD84F0B41.png

1 hour ago, CatskillMike said:

I remember seeing that skit when it initially aired.  I was delighted all those superheroes were on SNL.  Isn't this the one where Hulk stinks up the bathroom?

yes, with Belushi as Hulk.

3 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

One of these days I'm going to upgrade my #35 and #44.  The cover for #35 is hanging on by a thread

Tales to Astonish #027.jpg

Tales to Astonish #035.jpg

Tales to Astonish #044.jpg

Even in their conditions low grade is better than no grade, esp for SA big keys.... Showcase 34.. the DC small guy, hardly gets any love 

1 minute ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Here's my copy.  I had a reprint of it as a kid in a DC Blue Ribbon digest.  It was one of the first SA 1st appearances I ever bought.  It's a good thing Bob wrote his name on it three times, otherwise he might have lost it.

Atom #00 1.jpg

Pretty good condition. The handwriting isn’t bad. And it’s a simple name vs something much longer 

40 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

This one's got the first appearance of the Floronic Man.  A must have for fans of the Alan Moore Swamp Thing run.

Atom #01.jpg

I don’t have that. Surprisingly very expensive. Virtually  impossible to buy for under $100 for handful of years now 

1 hour ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Here's my copy.  I had a reprint of it as a kid in a DC Blue Ribbon digest.  It was one of the first SA 1st appearances I ever bought.  It's a good thing Bob wrote his name on it three times, otherwise he might have lost it.

Atom #00 1.jpg

This reminds me of that guy who got Stan Lee to sign one of those modern blank covers like a dozen times in different colors, and then tried to list the book for crazy money, as if you could just multiply the value of a Signature Series copy by the number of signatures.

36 minutes ago, rabidwolf said:

I know daredevil 1 is hot but how hot is it gonna get

5.0 on heritage just sold for $7200 

This kind of stuff is making me nervous.  Too much too quick.  When we get a pullback, the last people on the ride aren't going to be too happy. At least for a couple of years.

7 minutes ago, CatskillMike said:

This kind of stuff is making me nervous.  Too much too quick.  When we get a pullback, the last people on the ride aren't going to be too happy. At least for a couple of years.

I tend to agree but I am not nervous as much as an extremely curious vested bystander.  :popcorn:  If there are legitimately enough new blood with high incomes mixed into the expanding pool of collectors paying these seemingly unseemly prices - then perhaps all we are now experiencing is the long awaited next step/phase in this historical hobby.  It just hit me - not too long ago - but most of these Blue Chip key silver-agers are today on average 50 years or 1/2 century old.  Perhaps another way of looking at this is these iconic books were too cheap for too long and now are evolving / transmuting into what they were meant to be all along - high priced gems of limited world supply.  In the end I find those who lament about today's market fit into 1 of 3 not so neat categories 1) Whiners, who regret or lament selling off their keys way too soon  2) Old timers, who can't adjust fast enough to this head-spinning record setting prices-market or 3) Earnest collector-fans, who just can't or refuse to pay thousands of dollars for a crappie-looking point five copy of their favorite character.   I am likely #2.  :preach:

1 hour ago, rabidwolf said:

I know daredevil 1 is hot but how hot is it gonna get

5.0 on heritage just sold for $7200 

Yikes. I bought my 5.5 copy for approximately $900 a few years ago.