• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
27 27

4,098 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

I tend to agree but I am not nervous as much as an extremely curious vested bystander.  :popcorn:  If there are legitimately enough new blood with high incomes mixed into the expanding pool of collectors paying these seemingly unseemly prices - then perhaps all we are now experiencing is the long awaited next step/phase in this historical hobby.  It just hit me - not too long ago - but most of these Blue Chip key silver-agers are today on average 50 years or 1/2 century old.  Perhaps another way of looking at this is these iconic books were too cheap for too long and now are evolving / transmuting into what they were meant to be all along - high priced gems of limited world supply.  In the end I find those who lament about today's market fit into 1 of 3 not so neat categories 1) Whiners, who regret or lament selling off their keys way too soon  2) Old timers, who can't adjust fast enough to this head-spinning record setting prices-market or 3) Earnest collector-fans, who just can't or refuse to pay thousands of dollars for a crappie-looking point five copy of their favorite character.   I am likely #2.  :preach:

I'm probably #3 

Honestly, I don't know what to think of any of this. 

I'm fortunate that I got many of these keys over several years. Still these prices are incredible. 

I've always been that smug collector that snubbed my nose at people talking about comics as an investment. I figured comics were fun, investing was investing.  But when DD#1 is selling for $7k+ in a 5.0, the value becomes impossible to ignore. 

14 minutes ago, Joshua33 said:

You have that 4.5 Famous Funnies 213 as well. A 5.5 just sold for over 7k, as well. Good night for your collection. Thanks Heritage. :roflmao:

lol

18 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Here is my 5.0 

That price seems absolutely insane to me! 

IMG_20210121_203205712.jpg

I do think that 5.0 price is high right now but DD was an undervalued book for sure. #1 is averaging about $1250-$1300 per point for the lower grades. I just got back into collecting 2 months ago and one of the 1st things I did was get DD1. I bought slightly high but noticed the market was moving ridiculously fast even while I was assessing it. I already can realize a $500 profit if I wanted to sell. Not likely unless I wanted to upgrade. Too busy buying other keys before it gets impossible for me.

Edited by The Man Without Beer

1 hour ago, CatskillMike said:

This kind of stuff is making me nervous.  Too much too quick.  When we get a pullback, the last people on the ride aren't going to be too happy. At least for a couple of years.

Could be because people are getting rich right now on Bitcoin or GameStop stock.  Bitcoin has gone up 3 fold in the past two months, lots of money being made overnight.  And my guess is if you look at the people who are likely to buy Bitcoin or GameStop, it’s tech savvy geeks who very possibly are into comics as well who suddenly have come into a lot of money. If stocks and Bitcoin keep going up, comics prices will continue to climb.  That’s my guess.  

Looks like the entry price for X-Men 1 has jumped again. This sold on Heritage tonight for $7800 including the BP:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/x-men-1-marvel-1963-cgc-fr-gd-15-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122108-17648.s

That means a 2.0 would be $8500+? Or, maybe even $10K?

Edited by kimik

I am a huge DD fan and agree this book was always undervalued.

frankly glad it’s getting recognition but just shocked a 5.0 basically tripled in 6 months. But I guess with the recent 9.6 at 100k that grade tripled too. 

That would put a 6 at almost 9k soon a 7 at 11k and an 8 at 15-16k 

this was one of the last keys still attainable  by most collectors 

47 minutes ago, kimik said:

Looks like the entry price for X-Men 1 has jumped again. This sold on Heritage tonight for $7800 including the BP:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/x-men-1-marvel-1963-cgc-fr-gd-15-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122108-17648.s

That means a 2.0 would be $8500+? Or, maybe even $10K?

Yep. The train is just getting started too. #1 on the top 10 hot list key collector. 

06D13E83-9162-4735-B64E-8431AF6C5389.png

2 hours ago, Roger66 said:

I tend to agree but I am not nervous as much as an extremely curious vested bystander.  :popcorn:  If there are legitimately enough new blood with high incomes mixed into the expanding pool of collectors paying these seemingly unseemly prices - then perhaps all we are now experiencing is the long awaited next step/phase in this historical hobby.  It just hit me - not too long ago - but most of these Blue Chip key silver-agers are today on average 50 years or 1/2 century old.  Perhaps another way of looking at this is these iconic books were too cheap for too long and now are evolving / transmuting into what they were meant to be all along - high priced gems of limited world supply.  In the end I find those who lament about today's market fit into 1 of 3 not so neat categories 1) Whiners, who regret or lament selling off their keys way too soon  2) Old timers, who can't adjust fast enough to this head-spinning record setting prices-market or 3) Earnest collector-fans, who just can't or refuse to pay thousands of dollars for a crappie-looking point five copy of their favorite character.   I am likely #2.  :preach:

Can I be a little of each category 2 and 3? hm

And as to silver age books that are hot, I submit the following: every durn, blanking mainstream silver age Marvel that I'm still missing!! I routinely get outbid on nondescript issues of Hulk or Avengers that I need to fill my later runs - forget about the early books and keys. I was having some success before the lockdowns, but the last year has basically seen a frenzied untethering from reality. I'm bowing out of trying until things settle down, and if they don't, that's okay too, as I have enough neat things to look at and play with. 

Madness, I tell you.... :preach:

Edited by PopKulture

5 hours ago, Roger66 said:

I think all of SA is over 50 now unless you would consider 1971 silver? 

4 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Can I be a little of each category 2 and 3? hm

And as to silver age books that are hot, I submit the following: every durn, blanking mainstream silver age Marvel that I'm still missing!! I routinely get outbid on nondescript issues of Hulk or Avengers that I need to fill my later runs - forget about the early books and keys. I was having some success before the lockdowns, but the last year has basically seen a frenzied untethering from reality. I'm bowing out of trying until things settle down, and if they don't, that's okay too, as I have enough neat things to look at and play with. 

Madness, I tell you.... :preach:

This is how I feel. 

I worry that I won't be able to finish some of the runs I've been working on for a long time, but if that's the case, that's fine.  I've got don't bronze and GA I'm interested in that isn't moving quite as fast.  

It’s going up too fast and can’t see these increases being sustainable. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like this market before. The crazy thing is that it’s occurring with all sorts of books not just XM1.

How does this end? Long periods of flat prices with few available books for sale or a major price correction?

I was focusing on University during the 90’s comic crash, but don’t see any parallels with today. These are all blue chip books ...

1 hour ago, piper said:

It’s going up too fast and can’t see these increases being sustainable. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like this market before. The crazy thing is that it’s occurring with all sorts of books not just XM1.

How does this end? Long periods of flat prices with few available books for sale or a major price correction?

I was focusing on University during the 90’s comic crash, but don’t see any parallels with today. These are all blue chip books ...

Yeah the sudden surge in comic card prices feels more like the '90s market, and that includes the X-Force 1's that are only hot because of the so-called Deadpool rookie card. Some of what's happening in the sports card market is bleeding into the comic market which also happened in the '90s. It's crazy out there, folks.

3 minutes ago, bb8 said:

Yeah the sudden surge in comic card prices feels more like the '90s market, and that includes the X-Force 1's that are only hot because of the so-called Deadpool rookie card. Some of what's happening in the sports card market is bleeding into the comic market which also happened in the '90s. It's crazy out there, folks.

SELL SELL SELL

12 minutes ago, rabidwolf said:

I’ve rarely seen marvel keys go down even after a massive surge. Like I said same thing happened with FF1 three years ago and hulk 1 seven or so years ago. Haven’t gone down 

if anything they will simply flatline for a while 

There is allot of truth to this. Even AF15 went crazy 4 or 5 years ago, then kind of flat lined. 

This market is unusual because of Covid and other factors. I'll be watching for 2 things 

1) the ceiling of this surge? Will X1 in 2.0 be a 5 figure book by the time this is done? 

And 2) what happens as the vaccine roles out. When people aren't in front of their computers and start taking their family on vacation again, will prices drop? Flatline? Or does the demand remain and we continue to see rising prices, all be it a slower pace? 

The fact is, for every collector shelling out $7200 for a mid grade DD1 there are hundreds lined up behind him thinking "when the market corrects, I'll move". That's a lot of demand.