• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
27 27

4,098 posts in this topic

I feel bad for my kid's babysitter. She is a partially disabled single mom with 3 kids who hustled to avoid being on welfare and ran a little childcare business out of her home. She is down to 1 client (toddler of essential health workers) when she used to have 6 or 7 steady ones. 

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

Unemployed waitstaff, strippers, hotel staff, and childcare providers are paying the price for $150 marvel spotlight 28s

Are you suggesting strippers are indirectly buying Marvel SA keys?

source.gif

2 minutes ago, zosocane said:

Are you suggesting strippers are indirectly buying Marvel SA keys?

source.gif

No. Avoiding the strip club twice a month puts $1000 back in your pocket (assuming you got lap dances or private room dances, not that I know anything about that)

10 minutes ago, the blob said:

No. Avoiding the strip club twice a month puts $1000 back in your pocket (assuming you got lap dances or private room dances, not that I know anything about that)

Fantastic Four #5 ... Fantastic Four #5 ... Fantastic Four #5

Edited by zosocane

17 minutes ago, the blob said:

Significantly reduced spending on social / leisure activities is a much larger number for your typical collector with $.

Here it is.

I've been fortunate to have stayed employed during the pandemic, and to be able to work remotely.  So, while I haven't gotten any stimulus,

• No commute to work means $100/month saved on gas, and less frequent vehicle maintenance.
  • No vacations, no hotel stays.
  • No meals out.  ($100 at a decent restaurant for 4 people)
  • No sporting events.
  • No concerts, no Broadway, not even community theater.
  • No museums or other city outings.
  • No taking my kids bowling or skating (one activity a weekend adds up)

I've put most of the relief into my rainy day / next car fund and gotten more aggressive with my mortgage.  But I've had a little more money for comics, and it could have been a lot more money if I were less of a squirrel or more bullish on comics as an investment.

It's also hard, psychologically, to spend $300 for a comic that I saw for $100 a few months ago.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the pandemic recedes and other avenues for spare cash re-open.  Hopefully that $300 comic falls at least to $150 for the sake of those of us still building our runs.

12 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

0.5  Strange tales 110 just sold for  $1050.  That's certainly something.  

A very undervalued Marvel SA key finally joining in on the action.  I'm really looking forward to what director Sam Raimi does with the character and his supporting cast in Doctor Strange 2.

I'm at the lower end of the market, the bum end :) , I don't own one comic worth more than a couple of hundred. I've been collecting on and off for 30 odd years. More recently I thought I'd sell off my collection of mainly 80's/90's/00's books, mainly to supplement my reduced wage packet since covid, and along the way have found myself focused on getting a reasonable run at early FF books. Being 'focused' on one set/run over the past few months I have seen this huge rise in prices alongside a more recent drying up of availability for the early numbers. Six months ago I could have brought a reasonable raw FF51 for £20/30 now I'm lucky to see a 'reasonable' FF51 for less than £75.. six months ago I could have gone to ebay and seen every issue of FF from 100 to 200 available, now there's probably a third of those numbers available. Six months ago I picked and chose from the better condition FF book issues at less than £10 or £20 thinking I'll get FF72 and FF51 when I've sold a bit more of my collection or when one crops up for a steal, I'm now at a point where I've slowed right down.None of that is new to you I'm sure.

I've also seen my own comic sales on fleabay seem to have slowed progressively over the past month. FYI I'm still adding listings at a similar frequency.

I guess my point, is to query, whether we're currently seeing the 'peak' of this upsurge?

Maybe I'm just witnessing the speculative market react to FF books and the possibility of a FF film coming in three or more years?

Maybe February is just quiet month on ebay?

Does anyone have access to any bigger live data which shows sales across the resale market by 'number of books' as opposed to 'value' which might be slightly misleading.

2 hours ago, zosocane said:

A very undervalued Marvel SA key finally joining in on the action.  I'm really looking forward to what director Sam Raimi does with the character and his supporting cast in Doctor Strange 2.

Paste Pot Pete has more or less destroyed the visual presentation of that book. But is a grail nevertheless.

43 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

If you are not tied to Cerebus 1, you could probably list that 4.5 and list whatever price you want.  There are NO copies on the market for sale.  Its been like that for the last month. 

I remember Cerebus was red-hot ~ 1980, but i couldn't get into it.  And then it cooled off and went off the radar.  And now it's out of control.

11 minutes ago, zosocane said:

I remember Cerebus was red-hot ~ 1980, but i couldn't get into it.  And then it cooled off and went off the radar.  And now it's out of control.

Yeah, I remember there was a huge debate thread ( with @RockMyAmadeus and others) on which Bronze age key comic was the most valuable between Cerebus 1 and Hulk 181.

Eventually, Hulk 181 started spiking and the debates stopped.

However in the past past year, something happened and prices on Cerebus 1 started inching up.  Then in one month all the copies on the market were wiped out, and *boom*  demand went insane.  

I guess with 2000 printed copies, it doesn't take much demand for it to spike...

28 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Yeah, I remember there was a huge debate thread ( with @RockMyAmadeus and others) on which Bronze age key comic was the most valuable between Cerebus 1 and Hulk 181.

Eventually, Hulk 181 started spiking and the debates stopped.

However in the past past year, something happened and prices on Cerebus 1 started inching up.  Then in one month all the copies on the market were wiped out, and *boom*  demand went insane.  

I guess with 2000 printed copies, it doesn't take much demand for it to spike...

Is cerebus getting a netlifx show? 

27 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Music to my ears. :banana:

All kidding aside, this was a book I would try to pick up during my high school days when I first saw the WOLVERROACH issues and had been on my wantlist ever since. I jumped on it last year when it popped up for sale in the g/s/b marketplace here on the boards with no intentions of flipping it but man, it’s tempting reading these posts about how insane some of these prices are getting and with rare books, justifiably so. Either way, I’m happy to be in that elite group to own one but like they say, “everything has it’s price”.