• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
27 27

4,098 posts in this topic

Just now, littledoom said:

So, Spawn 1 would be a $50K+ book with only 2000 copies printed with more demand than Cerebus 1... both 300 issues.. but who really cares that much about Aardvark... that sells for more than Zap Comix 1..

yes and no. spawn 1 came out in the bag and board era, so a nice high grade copy might be less of a big deal and cerebus 1 caps out at a 9.4 and hundreds of the 2000 were supposedly mangled? but if spawn really did only have a 2000 copy print run then I could see the numbers being crazy. 

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes, it fell out of favor for a while and was undervalued for a while.  Just caught back up to Hulk 181 recently.

As he isn't doing anything with cerebus right now it does seem odd it is so expensive. I understand tnmt

Hmmm...If you're holding a copy of Fantastic Four #1, you've got to love today's auction results from Comic Link.

For the record, on December 12, 2020 a Fantastic Four #1 (CGC 7.0 ; Off-White Pages ; No Marvel Chipping) ended with a hammer price of $48,111. 

Just today (February 24, 2021), a similar copy of Fantastic Four #1 (CGC 7.0 ; Cream to Off-White Pages ; No Marvel Chipping) ended the day with an impressive sale price of $64,711.

Gang...That's a percentage increase of 34.5% in just 2 months!!!

I think it's fair to say that those looking to procure a "quality" grail book have no fear of setting new price highs at this time.   Or maybe it's just that everyone has caught the FOMO bug.

Fantastic Four #2 CGC 7.0 with OW/W pages sold for $5,000 two months ago on Comiclink.

Tonight, another Fantastic Four #2 CGC 7.0 but with OW pages sold for $7,250 on Comiclink.

That is a 45% increase in two months for a lower paper quality copy!

Edited by pickycollector

kmik - FF4 is starting to move now ... The 5.5 copy sold tonight for $5403 on comiclink which is a new record high and the 9.0 sold for it's second highest ever at $15,178.  

The X books are hot and FF4 is in addition to everything else a hidden X book that is starting to move.   The Sub-Mariner is Marvels' FIRST MUTANT.   Namor possesses among other abilities the mutant ability of flight.  Subby's golden age appearances are well ... golden, but his appearance in FF4 is ever so sweet.  I could smell the smoke coming off it in tonight's auction.  There are so many things to drive the FF4 price up.  It is a 1962 Marvel and of course Subby is one of Marvel/Timely's original big 3 (HT, SM, and CA) from the golden age.   When Namor - finally appears on the big screen and comes into the public consciousness - whoa nelly, the price will jump!  

Of interest ... In FF Annual #1 July 1963 Namor is referred to as  "possibly the first known mutant" and later in X-Men 6 when Professor X and Magneto hear of a powerful new mutant - it's Namor and they both see his value for their respective causes.  Namor eventually joins the X-Men in Uncanny X-Men #513

Edited by blackterror

37 minutes ago, Timeless icons said:

Silver Surfer 9 9.8- looks like someone is putting together a high grade run and with only 4 copies, they must have been determined to complete said task?(shrug)

Thankfully I'm not looking for 9.8s but as a run collector I agree, it can get very dangerous when you run into someone else trying to complete their run, suddenly a bidding war can get out of hand.

54 minutes ago, Timeless icons said:

Silver Surfer 9 9.8- looks like someone is putting together a high grade run and with only 4 copies, they must have been determined to complete said task?(shrug)

Blowing your entire decades comic budget on one book...not a key, not a first issue, not a first appearance, just slim in grade, is a bit scary to see!

13 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thankfully I'm not looking for 9.8s but as a run collector I agree, it can get very dangerous when you run into someone else trying to complete their run, suddenly a bidding war can get out of hand.

Agreed. It can get pretty brutal when the hammer drops. Either pass on the opportunity that may not present itself for years or pay up. 😆 There have been a few runs that I wanted to build but somw of these single digit census issues do make it challenging. I guess thats what makes it so rewarding when you finally find one though. (thumbsu