• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, pickycollector said:

JIM 85 is the only issue I need to have a complete JIM/Thor run and I am looking for 8.0 or better so it is going to be harder to have a full run of that title :frown:

That's what you get for being a picky collector! :cry:

A few mid grades sold on the boards the last few weeks and I was surprised at the asking prices and just as surprised to see how quickly they were taken. I just thought to myself, well, that ship has sailed for me! 

2 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

JIM 85 is the only issue I need to have a complete JIM/Thor run and I am looking for 8.0 or better so it is going to be harder to have a full run of that title :frown:

Maybe impossible with your preference for non pressed books.

1 minute ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

I only joined this forum today but while scrolling through the threads one is about the drop in price of AF 15?

I also noticed some prices for AF15 which seemed reasanoble in a speculative market.

I am not looking for an argument with anyone I just want to know if you think it is a favourable time to buy an AF15 as when it comes to comics I am more investor than collector.

My advice would be to buy it now.

It's just like stocks, no one can say for sure. But that book will always set the bar for SA books. It represents the ceiling.

Prices are high across the board and maybe we will see a price correction in the next 3 - 5 years, but in the long run that book won't lose. In 10 years these prices will seem cheap (just as 2011 prices look cheap today.  Back then all of us collectors were saying it was too expensive and unsustainable...) 

With the run up of other big keys like X1, I think Spidey is due to surge and this is probably just the beginning of it. 

That thread your referencing really wasn't about AF15 trending downward. It was more about stagnation. In 2016 /2017 it was a runaway train. Doubling in value in just a few months. But then it leveled off. What was surprising to most of us was, other books like Hulk 1, FF1 and now X1 saw huge run ups while AF15 experienced moderate growth. 

But none of those books caught up and now we are seeing AF15 start to move again.

5 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

It's just like stocks, no one can say for sure. But that book will always set the bar for SA books. It represents the ceiling.

Prices are high across the board and maybe we will see a price correction in the next 3 - 5 years, but in the long run that book won't lose. In 10 years these prices will seem cheap (just as 2011 prices look cheap today.  Back then all of us collectors were saying it was too expensive and unsustainable...) 

With the run up of other big keys like X1, I think Spidey is due to surge and this is probably just the beginning of it. 

That thread your referencing really wasn't about AF15 trending downward. It was more about stagnation. In 2016 /2017 it was a runaway train. Doubling in value in just a few months. But then it leveled off. What was surprising to most of us was, other books like Hulk 1, FF1 and now X1 saw huge run ups while AF15 experienced moderate growth. 

But none of those books caught up and now we are seeing AF15 start to move again.

Thanks for clarifying things in a Non Agressive Manor!

6 hours ago, KCOComics said:

When I bought my XMen1 5 years ago TOS39 was the same price as it, but now there seems to be a big price difference is that because XMen 1 is hot at the moment or has TOS39 cooled off since Ironman was killed off in Avengers Endgame?

As of now do you think AF15 offers more growth than TOS 39?

I have signed up to GPA and Go Collect how reliable are these services for current prices as I had to pay above what they said on my recent purchase of JIM 85, is that me overpaying or them supplying out of date data?

I am currently looking to buy from EBay, Comic Link, Comic Connect and Heritage is there anywhere else you would suggest looking for Key Comics?

Sorry about all the questions and I appreciate your time in answering them.

Apologies if my posts are provocative in anyway, that is not intentional. I presume asking investor type questions is OK?

2 hours ago, KCOComics said:

X1 has a ton of momentum right now. It went from a "cheap'" key to a top 5 book very quickly. If it hasn't surpassed FF1 at the #2 spot in terms of value, it may very quickly. 

I think that's driven by a few factors. 1) MCU is a big part of it. 2) the newer money coming into comics is from guys my age who grew up in the 80s and 90s when X-Men was the most popular story.  That's why Hulk 181 and GSX1 are following similar trends. 

TOS39 was very hot a few years ago.  Things that are hot don't stay hot forever and it's been on the back burner for a little bit now. I'm sure MCU has allot to do with that too. It's still a great key to own with long term growth potential. And in my opinion, when all the money starts chasing one key (X1 right now), its better to look at the others. These big books move in cycles. JIM83, TOS39, Hulk 1... All these books have had their day and will have it again some day. 

I'm not an investor but I would say, AF15 is a better short term investment, long term investment and safer overall than TOS39. It may not trend like X1 and there may be other books that go through wacky growth spurts in this market, but it's ready to pop. 

Spidey will always have more movies, games, halloween costumes and cartoons lined up while the same can't be said for other characters. 

As for where to buy... I buy 99% of my books here on the cgc boards. You need to be a little more patient and see when people post the book you want, but you can usual get better deals by avoiding most fees. Lots of guys use Instagram as well (I haven't). 

Then I have 3 sellers who's sites I check out weekly. All established board members, all people I trust for fair pricing and good communication. 

https://www.dalerobertscomics.com/

https://www.superworldcomics.com/

https://www.highgradecomics.com/

Thanks for your help.

10 minutes ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

Thanks for your help.

@KCOComics made several really strong points in his post, i second them all. i buy from highgradecomics regularly. 

also, don't believe everything you read here on the boards. people pump their own books routinely, and dump on this or that book as well. that af15 thread that you quoted is a good example. the book had a few enormous sales at one point, then resumed it's normal price range, but some genius assumed it was 'dropping.' obviously it's not, and if you read the thread you will get a better idea of the debate there. but the headline is misleading. 

and bear in mind, i have an AF15 myself, so i am biased. most people won't tell you that part of the equation. 

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

@KCOComics made several really strong points in his post, i second them all. i buy from highgradecomics regularly. 

also, don't believe everything you read here on the boards. people pump their own books routinely, and dump on this or that book as well. that af15 thread that you quoted is a good example. the book had a few enormous sales at one point, then resumed it's normal price range, but some genius assumed it was 'dropping.' obviously it's not, and if you read the thread you will get a better idea of the debate there. but the headline is misleading. 

and bear in mind, i have an AF15 myself, so i am biased. most people won't tell you that part of the equation. 

I am currently signed up with GPA and Go Collect which do you find the best or do most people use both?

2 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

While I am an XMen and Batman collector primarily, I agree re: AF 15 is the SA key to own (although I currently do not have one lol ). It is the Action 1 of the Silver Age, and is a book to buy and hold from a key perspective. If prices dip a bit, then buy. It will rise long term. Look at it like Hulk 181 for the BA - when prices plateau, snag a couple or more copies - one to keep and two or more to flip for a profit.

Edited by kimik

2 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

Sounds like a cool book to own if it is the Silver Age equivalent of AC1.

48 minutes ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

I am currently signed up with GPA and Go Collect which do you find the best or do most people use both?

I'll preface this by saying, I don't use either. 

I do watch sold prices from the big auction houses. eBay is usually my first go to. 

GPA is "the standard" around here and that's what most collectors seem to like. I have heard prices are increasing so quickly, GPA has been a bit behind lately. When books are as hot as Xmen1 and Hulk 181, being a week or two behind can be a big price discrepancy.

Can I flip some questions around on you? 

There has been a lot of chatter about investors entering the market and driving up prices. 

So what brought you to the comic book market? Are you into other collectibles? 

Do you put your money in traditional investments (stocks, ETFs, mutual funds) and view comics as diversification? Or are you focused on alternative investment strategies? 

Do you see your interests in comics expanding beyond financial gain? Meaning if the comic market died tomorrow, would you hang on to JIM85 because you love it? Or would you dump it like an underperforming stock? 

None of this is meant to be cagey or personal. I'm really curious. Most of us on here are guys who have been reading comics our entire lives. We have favorite artists, story lines and are happy to discuss Kirby vs Lee endlessly. I'm curious for your perspective and interest. 

8 minutes ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

Do you think TOS 52 & 57 offer good value now, do you think it is a good time to invest in these books?

I hope not! I recently sold copies of both to get into bigger books lol. 

I'm a big fan of TOS57. I have 0 connection into MCU to tell you what's on the horizon. Prices seem to be climbing from what I've seen, but it's not crazy expensive. The bigger keys will probably create greater returns, but I have no reason not to expect steady growth over the long haul. 

2 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

Another huge motivating factor in Silver Age keys jumping the line to higher spots is purely generational.  Old timers (say over 60+) appreciate Spider-Man, Iron-Man, Hulk & the FF.  Middle-Ager say mid-40s to late 50s can appreciate all those books plus emphasize the X-MEN, Avengers and Daredevil more.  Yet the largest group of collectors IMO are those under 45, who are the ones who really drive the market now with their ever increasing online CIRCADIAN presence and buying power.  Lest not forget that 1960 is now 60 years ago - which is 2 to 3 lifetimes for some young collectors :whatthe:.  For the majority of collectors that feels like the pre-industrial age.  When someone says "this is the book to own" - my reply is' according to you - yes - but according to me perhaps no.'  Buy what you love and ignore the chatter.  Lest not forget this was originally a child's hobby, which due to the billions of dollars now invested in it has become somewhat corrupted by avarice, regret, hoarding, manipulation and incessant hype.  I try and tune out everything in this hobby that is negative and that includes basing your love for a character on what the latest GPA sale is.  This is no longer your big brother's hobby - it's stocks & bonds to many but to me it's remembering the old metal comic spinner racks and finding the best copies in the middle, which were not bent and dinged.  My 2-cents. :preach:

For me it is all about the films if I like the film I will want the comic as that is where it started. I also like appreciating assets especially when Interest rates are at the lowest point in history with the possibility in going negative. I have no nostalgia for the comic itself as I have never read them and everything I own is graded so I never will.

15 minutes ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

For me it is all about the films if I like the film I will want the comic as that is where it started. I also like appreciating assets especially when Interest rates are at the lowest point in history with the possibility in going negative. I have no nostalgia for the comic itself as I have never read them and everything I own is graded so I never will.

Negative interest rates just make people pull money from the market or the bank. I suppose on some level it must be possible but conventionally rational behavior would go out the window. No one will pay to loan someone money, etc. 

14 minutes ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

Your succinct take on why you collect is likely a common one these days.  For many collectors it doesn't matter about 'the films, appreciating assets or interest rates" since they are emotionally invested.  So it will indeed be very interesting to see what happens to this hobby once the films either stop or go bad and the economics of investing money into comics is no longer a viable alternative for those inclined to see this hobby only as an investment vehicle.  :preach: