• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
27 27

4,098 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

if you bought a graded book with an insert like the one above would it be mentioned on the grade label?

when you say variants do you mean price variants like a British pence price or a cent variation like Star Wars 35 cent or are you referring to some other type of variation?

Yes, the label will note the insert.  And yes, I’m referring to UK price variants (and Australian and Canadian PVs, which were all tiny subsets of the initial print run), and experimental price variants (like Star Wars #1 35-cent variant of 30-cent book), also scarce.  

Edited by Pantodude

6 hours ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

What are Mark jewellers inserts?

You do know you can look up some of this stuff yourself using google search  :idea:

:foryou:

30 minutes ago, ninanina said:

The main reason for this (if your interested) is it's difficult for pressing to be detected when grading.

Exactly .. sometimes pressed books can look like they still need one 

Edited by littledoom

15 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Here's an example of an ad-page insert (similar to Mark Jewelers) that I had handy.  Few books had them, so folks seek them out, like they do other uncommon versions of books, like variants.  There is a good thread on this.   Top of p23 has pix of actual MJ inserts.  Books with such inserts fetch a premium.  

IMGP9476.thumb.JPG.39bff467e2b1ec14a70c26a70dd0d90e.JPG

Do you get a green label if the Mark Jewellers insert is taken out of the Mark Jewellers?

Not sure if CGC treats like an ASM238 missing its tattooz, or a 3-D-ell #1 missing its 3-D glasses, which do get green label, assuming CGC could tell that it's missing from a book that originally had the MJ insert.  In other words, if you submit a book and tell CGC (in an angelic interest in full disclosure) that it used to have a MJ insert, CGC technically might have to issue a green label, I think.  

Edited by Pantodude

2 hours ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

I am interested so I appreciate all the answers!

With all of your questions, it sounds like you're seriously diving deeper into this wonderful hobby.  Some of the terms used are like speaking a new language.  Don't worry.... you'll be up to speed by your 200th posting.

1 minute ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

What is a Green Label?

"Qualified"

An ASM 1 that was a 5.0 in every way except it had a coupon clippoed, would get a Green "Qualified" label.

And on the label it would state what the "qualification" was.

Edited by gadzukes