• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,099 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, rexinnih said:

I've honesty never heard of "The Peacemaker" but obviously someone has. 

10 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

He was the Charlton character that the Comedian (from Watchmen) was based off of.  That was the only reason I was interested in him.

It's just another one of those movie driven characters that has the speculators in a frenzy (and, I also was only interested in the character prior to his year due to the Watchmen tie).  To be fair, early indications are that the upcoming Suicide Squad movie looks to be very promising, and Peacemaker (played by John Cena) seems to be an integral character.  So much so, that an HBO Max spin-off series will focus solely on Peacemaker.  I think the reason this book (and Fightin' 5 #40 - first appearance) are so lofty is due to the fact that Charlton books were printed on "cheap paper" and don't seem to hold up well over time.  So there aren't many of these out there, and to find them in high grades (9.4+) is pretty rare.  So I get the quick growth in these books, but it does seem a bit wacky for a character that most people had never heard of until a few months ago.

Edited by CrocHntr

On 4/11/2021 at 7:52 PM, rexinnih said:

I've honesty never heard of "The Peacemaker" but obviously someone has. 

I’ve always liked it.  My girlfriend laughed hysterically when she saw my copy

On 4/7/2021 at 8:47 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Detective 300 first Polka Dot man - or at least that is what some dealers are trying. Note sure comic collectors are into sardonic humour B|

For those of us who like comic books because they are comic books.

For those of us who like all kinds of comic publishers, and not just the big ones, for example Charlton, because they are all fascinating in their own right.

For those of us who like all kinds of comic book characters, such as The Peacemaker and Polka Dot Man, and indeed Jughead and Konga and Lorna, because they are interesting and enjoyable in their own right and are a part of comic book history.

Well, for those of us such as this, this new "interest" may be money-driven or movie-driven, but we say:  It's about time.

This is more of a "SA comics that should be heating up" kind of post.  We have seen the massive, long overdue correction with respect to Star Wars comics, and not just Star Wars #1, but EVERY SW key, with no cooling off in sight.   So what about the early Star Trek comic books from Dell/Gold Key in the mid-to-late 1960s?  We have seen decent increases in the low through mid grades since 2019, with too few sales in the higher grades to tell, but is a meteoric rise overdue for early ST issues?       

https://screenrant.com/picard-creator-akiva-goldsman-star-trek-mcu-comparison/:  "Star Trek: Picard creator Akiva Goldsman has compared the Star Trek franchise to the Marvel Cinematic Universe in terms of output. Star Trek is a property that's been running since the original series debuted in 1966. Since its debut, 13 movies and nine television shows taking place in the grander Star Trek universe. The franchise is one of the most popular in American history." 

The articles notes that another Star Trek universe series called Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is in development, which confirms what we already know:  that there are new SW stories continuing to come out with no end in sight.  The article continues, "With shows like Star Trek: Picard,  the Star Trek universe continues expands upon the initial story, ideology, and unique characters Gene Roddenberry created more than half-a-century ago. Aside from Star Trek: Lower Decks and the previously mentioned Strange New Worlds, the franchise is branching out into children's entertainment with the upcoming Nickelodeon animated project, Star Trek: Prodigy.  Needless to say, if there's a limit on the types of story possibilities available for the franchise, they are nowhere near hitting it."   Can that be seriously disputed?

This suggests that at least the original/early Star Trek comics (which debuted in 1967, less than a year after that historic TV series with Shatner and Nimoy first aired) remain extremely undervalued and should heat up ala Star Wars.  There would be a major disconnect if it did not, due to the obvious similarities between SW and ST (large or small screen origins coupled with a substantial and long-running comic book presence and continuing status as behemoths of pop culture).  Like Disney with SW, Viacom/CBS has actively developed the Star Trek franchise over the years, and counting.  Scooby Doo #1 (Gold Key 1970) is another sleeper that comes to mind (massive pop culture presence for 50+ years and counting) but that is early Bronze Age for another thread!  

Edited by Pantodude

I always loved Star Trek and still have a nostalgic attachment to both the original show and STNG, plus I think the Chris Pine reboot movies were legitimately good.  But as far as I can tell, interest in Star Trek is nowhere near the levels it once was.  I think there are a lot of fans like me that see a new Star Trek offering and shrug.  I was potentially interested in the Picard show, but as soon as I saw that I needed to subscribe to yet another streaming platform to see it, I walked away.

That said, I do think you have a strong point about the Dell books.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

I have a Showcase #22 CGC 4.5 and a Brave and the Bold #28 CGC 4.5. If you have been paying attention, the prices of this grade of these two books has been pretty much stagnant.

I was checking GPA, as I am wont to do when I am subbing in a classroom where I can't teach any of the material (such as a band instructor, which I was today). In December, 2020, a BatB #28 4.5 sold for $3,212. In April, 2021, a comparable book sold for $4,205. So now my BatB 28 is worth substantially more than I paid for it ($900+). In December, 2018, a SC #22 4.5 sold for $3,925. In April, 2021, a comparable book sold for $4,680. So now my SC 22 is worth substantially more than I paid for it ($1,000+).

Since I taught at Roncalli Catholic High School for four years, I am going to call the school chaplain tomorrow to see if Hell has frozen over.

Edited by Math Teacher

8 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

I have a Showcase #22 CGC 4.5 and a Brave and the Bold #28 CGC 4.5. If you have been paying attention, the prices of this grade of these two books has been pretty much stagnant.

I was checking GPA, as I am wont to do when I am subbing in a classroom where I can't teach any of the material (such as a band instructor, which I was today). In December, 2020, a BatB #28 4.5 sold for $3,212. In April, 2021, a comparable book sold for $4,205. So now my BatB 28 is worth substantially more than I paid for it ($900+). In December, 2018, a SC #22 4.5 sold for $3,925. In April, 2021, a comparable book sold for $4,680. So now my SC 22 is worth substantially more than I paid for it ($1,000+).

Since I taught at Roncalli Catholic High School for four years, I am going to call the school chaplain tomorrow to see if Hell has frozen over.

The SC 22 4.5 that sold on HA had faded colors too. Interest may be finally picking up for this book.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/showcase-22-green-lantern-dc-1959-cgc-vg-45-off-white-pages/a/122115-13524.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

32 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Was just going to say this after I looked everywhere for one...they have disappeared

Will be listing a very low grade copy and a very high grade copy on eBay later today. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in a first shot at them.

Edited by Key Largo Comics