• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
27 27

4,098 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bludriver said:

Another book I can't find any copies of below $850 (an 8.5 CGC) on ebay is X-Men #64. Is there speculation on Sunfire and people have grabbed all the low & mid grade copies?

I believe this is one of the X books being spec'd on a little heavier than the other minor keys/filler issues yes. I need one, too. pain in the butt.

Edited by speedcake

43 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Yeah, but is it really worth the same as ASM #42 the first real MJW appearance, because that seems where it's headed? 

I just checked on ebay and ST #159 is selling for almost as much as #135. So the first appearance of a pretty minor character is running close to the same as the first appearance of SHIELD and Nick Fury as a colonel in the then contemporary Marvel universe? Does that make any sense other than frothy speculation based on a TV appearance?

The Nick Fury in the MCU is the Ultimates Nick Fury, and so the cigar-chomping white guy from the comics doesn't count.  Yes, I'm being sarcastic but only a little.  I'm convinced that Strange Tales #135 has been undervalued in part for this reason.

You are absolutely right that it would be pure insanity for #159 to suddenly become the biggest key in the Nick Fury Strange Tales run.

41 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Yeah, but is it really worth the same as ASM #42 the first real MJW appearance, because that seems where it's headed? 

I just checked on ebay and ST #159 is selling for almost as much as #135. So the first appearance of a pretty minor character is running close to the same as the first appearance of SHIELD and Nick Fury as a colonel in the then contemporary Marvel universe? Does that make any sense other than frothy speculation based on a TV appearance?

Yup I agree the prices on this are silly compared to some of the other silver books around it. I was just trying to make a point that this latest spec book is at least a bit more scarce and has other things going for it compared to something like a west coast avengers 45 or whatever.

16 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

A Snapshot of Go Collect's recent sales for Fantastic Four #2 in CGC 0.5. I'm sure this is because of Secret Invasion.

ff2 point 5.jpg

That's extremely annoying! FF#2 is the last I need to complete my run of FFs and now a decent copy may well get priced out of my reach. Curse those movie-rumour speculators!

Pardon me if someone has already mentioned Fantastic Four #4, but the ebay sale this week was eye popping. 

A CGC 6.5 copy of FF4 just sold on ebay for $12,000  - about double the previous high in that grade. This particular copy presents nicely for the grade, but it is not remarkable in appearance nor does it have white pages.  This is again a very strong price for this book and this copy ... Here's a link - 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265087297272?hash=item3db86f26f8:g:nZkAAOSwmN5gTSLt

In case you don't know ... it features the first silver age appearane of Namor the Sub-Mariner.  Namor is Marvel/Timely's first hero (April 1939 in Motion Picture Funnies Weekly and then again in Marvel Comics #1 October 1939).  For all you X fans - the Sub-Mariner is the first mutant and he makes his first appearance of the silver age in Fantastic Four #4.

FF4 has always been a key book  - but still a bit of a sleeper - well the cat is out of the bag.  FF4 is heating up and has a long way left to run. As a 1962 Marvel it is also rather scarce comparatively.   For example there are 5 times as many graded FF 52's as there are FF4's - and for my money before the dust settles - Namor will reign supreme - Imperious Rex!

Edited by blackterror

11 minutes ago, blackterror said:

Pardon me if someone has already mentioned Fantastic Four #4, but the ebay sale this week was eye popping. 

A CGC 6.5 copy of FF4 just sold on ebay for $12,000  - about double the previous high in that grade. This particular copy presents nicely for the grade, but it is not remarkable in appearance nor does it have white pages.  This is again a very strong price for this book and this copy ... Here's a link - 

In case you don't know it features the first silver age appearane of Namor the Sub-Mariner.  Namor is Marvel/Timely's first hero (April 1939 in Motion Picture Funnies Weekly and then again in Marvel Comics #1 October 1939).  For all you X fans - the Sub-Mariner is the first mutant and he makes his first appearance of the silver age in Fantastic Four #4.

FF4 has always been a key book  - but still a bit of a sleeper - well the cat is out of the bag.  FF4 is heating up and has a long way left to run. As a 1962 Marvel it is also rather scarce comparatively.   For example there are 5 times as many graded FF 52's as there are FF4's - and for my money before the dust settles - Namor will reign supreme - Imperious Rex!

Obviously this is a huge sale, but the cat has been out of the bag on this book for a while...Sub-Mariner 1 popped a while ago too. I haven't followed golden age sales of Sub-Mariner much but I would assume they are strong at least. I don't think that book is a sleeper at all, just out of reach for most collectors that don't already have one...

Hey Peter - I appreciate your thoughts.  Let me clarify - I wasn't implying FF4 is unknown or a sleeper in the sense that nobody knew about it. 

Our topic here isn't "Books that are unknown or Diamonds in the rough" - it is "SA Comics That Are Heating Up" - and FF4 just heated up more than it has in the last two years and for that matter maybe ever.  In the past 7 days it doubled in price .... the book that sold on ebay doubled the previous record high ... it didn't go up 10 or 20 percent - it didn't go up 50 percent.  It went up 100%  And I don't think that price is an aberration - but quite possibly a bargain considering Namor is Marvel's first hero and first mutant. 

FF4 on gocollect has been moving up sure - but nothing like what just happened ... Gocollect still has the price of a 6.5 at $5700  - and I don't even see the ebay sale yet.   If this book hasn't been sleeping it has certaionly been resting comparatively to what it did this week ... 

2 years ago (730 days) - $4,400     1 year ago (365 days) - $4,700      6 months ago (180 days) - $5,250       30 days ago -  $7,000     and       Today -  $12,000

In the past two years the book went up in price $2600.   This week - just this week - it went up in price $5000

You may feel FF4 has been warm or hot or already popped  - but I am saying this week FF4 announced to the world - I'm heating up!

1 hour ago, blackterror said:

Hey Peter - I appreciate your thoughts.  Let me clarify - I wasn't implying FF4 is unknown or a sleeper in the sense that nobody knew about it. 

Our topic here isn't "Books that are unknown or Diamonds in the rough" - it is "SA Comics That Are Heating Up" - and FF4 just heated up more than it has in the last two years and for that matter maybe ever.  In the past 7 days it doubled in price .... the book that sold on ebay doubled the previous record high ... it didn't go up 10 or 20 percent - it didn't go up 50 percent.  It went up 100%  And I don't think that price is an aberration - but quite possibly a bargain considering Namor is Marvel's first hero and first mutant. 

FF4 on gocollect has been moving up sure - but nothing like what just happened ... Gocollect still has the price of a 6.5 at $5700  - and I don't even see the ebay sale yet.   If this book hasn't been sleeping it has certaionly been resting comparatively to what it did this week ... 

2 years ago (730 days) - $4,400     1 year ago (365 days) - $4,700      6 months ago (180 days) - $5,250       30 days ago -  $7,000     and       Today -  $12,000

In the past two years the book went up in price $2600.   This week - just this week - it went up in price $5000

You may feel FF4 has been warm or hot or already popped  - but I am saying this week FF4 announced to the world - I'm heating up!

A week back marvel mystery comics 4, first cover appearance or namor in golden age sold at heritage auction for a huge amount. Well higher than everyone’s expectations. 

I think it’s triggering a run on namor stuff 

Not sure where else to ask this as it doesn't need it's own thread, but I am trying to decide between two books that have already gotten hot, I suppose.

Budget is between $1500-2000 (basically whatever I can get plus a bit of cash for selling my X-Men 94 5.5) and the books are:

Fantastic Four 49, CGC Graded at 4-4.5

or

X-Men 4, Graded at a 3

I do want both, but can only pick one.  I have a pretty decent X-Men collection already, but X-Men 4 is a minor Grail for me as I would never be able to buy X-Men 1.  FF49 is one of my favorite covers and I love Galactus and Surfer and only have one other FF book (Annual 6)

So, which do you guys prefer out of the two options?  I am struggling to pic.

Edited by Venomous72

8 minutes ago, Venomous72 said:

Not sure where else to ask this as it doesn't need it's own thread, but I am trying to decide between two books that have already gotten hot, I suppose.

Budget is between $1500-2000 (basically whatever I can get plus a bit of cash for selling my X-Men 94 5.5) and the books are:

or

X-Men 4, Graded at a 3

I do want both, but can only pick one.  I have a pretty decent X-Men collection already, but X-Men 4 is a minor Grail for me as I would never be able to buy X-Men 1.  FF49 is one of my favorite covers and I love Galactus and Surfer and only have one other FF book (Annual 6)

Tough one...X4 for me.

Agree with you @blackterror, while FF4 isn't exactly an unknown or cheap book, it's a sleeper....

9 hours ago, blackterror said:

In case you don't know ... it features the first silver age appearane of Namor the Sub-Mariner.  Namor is Marvel/Timely's first hero (April 1939 in Motion Picture Funnies Weekly and then again in Marvel Comics #1 October 1939).  For all you X fans - the Sub-Mariner is the first mutant and he makes his first appearance of the silver age in Fantastic Four #4.

Glad I pulled the trigger on a 6.0 in December!  I still regret not pulling the trigger in December 2019 on a FF5.  I wasn't going to let that happen again.

1 hour ago, Venomous72 said:

or

X-Men 4, Graded at a 3

if its for pure love, then get what you love more. if its for investment purposes, ff49 has more upside than xmen4 imho. wandavision bumped the value of that book quite a bit. now its over for a year. silver surfer, on the other hand, is still eagerly awaited in the mcu. once he is announced, that book should rise even more. although it certainly has already risen a great deal based on the anticipation of this. but i still think it can grow more. both books are solid investments.

2 hours ago, Venomous72 said:

or

X-Men 4, Graded at a 3

Agree with others. FF49 has a lot of room to run. X4 is probably at its peak and do to come down or plataue for a bit