• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, blackterror said:

Hey Peter - I appreciate your thoughts.  Let me clarify - I wasn't implying FF4 is unknown or a sleeper in the sense that nobody knew about it. 

Our topic here isn't "Books that are unknown or Diamonds in the rough" - it is "SA Comics That Are Heating Up" - and FF4 just heated up more than it has in the last two years and for that matter maybe ever.  In the past 7 days it doubled in price .... the book that sold on ebay doubled the previous record high ... it didn't go up 10 or 20 percent - it didn't go up 50 percent.  It went up 100%  And I don't think that price is an aberration - but quite possibly a bargain considering Namor is Marvel's first hero and first mutant. 

FF4 on gocollect has been moving up sure - but nothing like what just happened ... Gocollect still has the price of a 6.5 at $5700  - and I don't even see the ebay sale yet.   If this book hasn't been sleeping it has certaionly been resting comparatively to what it did this week ... 

2 years ago (730 days) - $4,400     1 year ago (365 days) - $4,700      6 months ago (180 days) - $5,250       30 days ago -  $7,000     and       Today -  $12,000

In the past two years the book went up in price $2600.   This week - just this week - it went up in price $5000

You may feel FF4 has been warm or hot or already popped  - but I am saying this week FF4 announced to the world - I'm heating up!

I don’t think it’s set in on how low the census is on this early issue of FF. Mid grade copies are few and far between the ceiling has not come even close for this one as it’s a huge character yet to see his day on the big screen . Anything early grab now especially mid grade copies Submariner 1 from 1968 which are still priced well. Huge price corrections coming on this one

5 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

How about this one ? It’s second appearance of Dr Doom and Namor the Submariner ( both FF 4&5 are so outrageous  in price now ) and it’s first Marvel villain team up. A classic Kirby cover imo this one has room to grow . Thoughts?

Fantastic Four 6

37C8D8D7-EF6F-4D4F-AB31-72245EB14BF9.jpeg

This book has gone up rapidly in the last year.  GPA has a 2.0 high sale at $513 and a 2.0 high sale of $1600, so more than triple.  In 6.0 GPA has a high of $1840 in 2020 and a high of $3199 in 2021.  And 2021 is just 4 months old.

If you have GPA you can see the 'stock chart'  going parabolic over the last year.  Similar to the chart for every single SA or BA key.  If I was looking at a stock chart like this in my investment portfolio I'd think there was a huge bubble or the company had found the cure for cancer.

Can it go higher?  Sure, it's a great book and the first Marvel team-up which spawned many many more team-ups.  Can it go down or plateau?  Sure, this is an unprecedented time in the hobby and anything can happen.

It used to be a big deal and there will always be a premium for a OW or better but the premium usually comes with OW or better and nice looking book, for the grade.. 

If you see a nice VG that looks like a Fine- but with Cr to OW I'd go for it instead of an accurate inline VG with OW or better.  Buy the book not the grade.

I think the fear is that Cr to OW will have a brown interior halo that you can't see.  And that is possible to varying degrees of acceptability.

1 hour ago, Venomous72 said:

How do you guys feel about Cream to Off White pages on silver age? I keep avoiding some good looking lower grades because of page quality and am not sure if that is the right play any more 🤷🏻‍♂️

Depends of the grading year. If it's an old label, C/OW probably means OW but if it's a recent one then C/OW means C/OW

2 hours ago, Venomous72 said:

How do you guys feel about Cream to Off White pages on silver age? I keep avoiding some good looking lower grades because of page quality and am not sure if that is the right play any more 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't hesitate to buy CR/OW in my pre-hero collection, but then my target grade there is 7.0 and I'm willing to go to 6.0 or even 5.0 for pre-implosion books.

Once it gets to the hero books, I don't buy below OW in the Silver Age and I try real hard to stick to OW/W or better.  Certainly post 1965 I would not buy below OW/W -- but again, my target grade is 9.4 so I'm going by the principle that whatever grade you're buying in, get a copy that is "good for the grade" and generally, OW is not good for the grade at the 9.4 level.  If I were buying anything 8.0 or better I would probably still try to hold out for OW/W and I might even hold out for WP just so I could feel confident that my book is truly excellent for the grade.  That said, eye appeal is king so if you're seeing a well-centered low-grade or mid-grade with great colors and nice overall appeal, you can buy CR/OW with confidence because it will definitely be considered "good for the grade."

Also it helps to have an idea if the specific issue you're buying is hard to find with great page quality.  Off the top of my head, I have found that ASM #24 and FF #18 are frequently seen in CR/OW, so even OW is a nice find.

When buying 9.6, I always hold out for WP if my target is 9.6, but if my target is 9.4 then I will sometimes cheat and get 9.6 OW/W.  I would never buy a 9.8 with less than WP unless we're talking about a book where 9.8 is truly scarce in the census, in which case generally I am not in the market for 9.8.  lol

That's just the 2c of one collector, certainly not the last word or anything.  Hope it helps.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

4 hours ago, Venomous72 said:

There is no doubt that C/OW is fine, especially for nice-looking SA books, as they consistently go for FMV.  We have poured over sales data on these threads and confirmed it.  So if that's your concern, it's unfounded.  Don't let nice-looking books get away!    

If you think the market will continue to go up and being too picky will prolong your hunt for the SA keys on your wantlist, don't be so picky?  A book in the hand (in whatever non-brittle page quality) is worth two in the bush.  You can always use the appreciation of a book you own for later upgrades, if necessary.  Prolonging the hunt for wantlist books (too much) will likely make it much more expensive to acquire them later on, and some books might even get priced out of reach.  It could be months before a given SA key even becomes on sale again in a desired grade, let alone PQ.  Sometimes it's just the right time to get a book.  

12 hours ago, Venomous72 said:

Not sure where else to ask this as it doesn't need it's own thread, but I am trying to decide between two books that have already gotten hot, I suppose.

Budget is between $1500-2000 (basically whatever I can get plus a bit of cash for selling my X-Men 94 5.5) and the books are:

Fantastic Four 49, CGC Graded at 4-4.5

or

X-Men 4, Graded at a 3

I do want both, but can only pick one.  I have a pretty decent X-Men collection already, but X-Men 4 is a minor Grail for me as I would never be able to buy X-Men 1.  FF49 is one of my favorite covers and I love Galactus and Surfer and only have one other FF book (Annual 6)

So, which do you guys prefer out of the two options?  I am struggling to pic.

i say FF49, FF48-FF49 probably the most important back to back titles in Marvel Universe, introducing the 2 most iconic characters

57 minutes ago, Venomous72 said:

I bought a 6.0 today! Cant wait for it to get here. I Uh ended up listing a couple books for sale which justified going $1k over my budget lol

6.0 of 48 or 49? 

Either way, great book! 

Congrats and I hope you enjoy it. 

14 hours ago, Venomous72 said:

Not sure where else to ask this as it doesn't need it's own thread, but I am trying to decide between two books that have already gotten hot, I suppose.

Budget is between $1500-2000 (basically whatever I can get plus a bit of cash for selling my X-Men 94 5.5) and the books are:

Fantastic Four 49, CGC Graded at 4-4.5

or

X-Men 4, Graded at a 3

I do want both, but can only pick one.  I have a pretty decent X-Men collection already, but X-Men 4 is a minor Grail for me as I would never be able to buy X-Men 1.  FF49 is one of my favorite covers and I love Galactus and Surfer and only have one other FF book (Annual 6)

So, which do you guys prefer out of the two options?  I am struggling to pic.

I would go for X-men 4. It is rarer and is very hot right now. My copy has already gone up 4x since I bought it late last year.