• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Except that it could represent fundamental demand.  The few trading/sports card folks who took the time to explain why they ventured into comic books (see youtube and some posts on these boards) explained that they are here to stay for several reasons.  In their view, SA and BA keys, and even high grade CA and modern comic book keys are undervalued due to relative scarcity (what we consider large census numbers are really miniscule compared to census for high-grade trading/sports cards and the like).  Some of them used Ultimate Fallout 4 and New Mutants 98 as examples of books that old schoolers might think are too common even in high grade.  Trading/sports cards folks consider even those books to be relatively uncommon (again, compoared to cards), especially considering the potential new, larger size of the comic book community.  

These newcomers (at least a significant number) also intend to hold their books long-term because even ignoring the relative scarcity of comic books compared to cards, comic books have great long-term growth potential, certainly those related to the MCU.  So this means more vintage books being tucked away in personal collections, apparently for the long-ish term. 

This could explain and normalize everything we have seen the past few months.  In other words, if what we are seeing are new baselines for keys, it could very well be that NO correction is looming that would resemble a crash, and that, in any event, any correction would be temporary before resuming an upward trend due to limited supply.  More folks looking for a dwindling  supply of books.    

That's possible.  But if the newcomers are staying in comics because they are "undervalued due to relative scarcity" and "have great long-term growth potential", is that really fundamental demand?  Do they actually want the comics or do they expect that owning comics is going to make them rich(er)? 

If prices start to correct downward, maybe comics won't seem so undervalued and laden with growth potential to these folks.  What then?  Do they enjoy owning classic comic books, or do they all sell and look for a winner somewhere else?

I think you're right that the MCU is fueling this rocketship to a great degree.  Everything they try, every risk they take, it just works.  Hit after hit after hit. 

Can that go on forever? 

Who knows?

22 minutes ago, Savoyard23 said:

is that really fundamental demand? 

Good question.  But because we are starting with the premise that a substantial number of these newcomers to the comic book community were already "collectors," albeit of trading/sports cards, that might be sufficiently close, as a practical matter, to suggest "fundamental demand."  The collecting gene being what it is, it remains entirely possible that these new folks appreciate relative scarcity of vintage stuff (whatever it is) just for its own sake, with the upside being a bonus.   That would sound like many comic book collectors!   (thumbsu  Your right, though, that time will tell.  

Edited by Pantodude

I am a collector (thor keys) first but with the market going nuts i do have FOMO. I have been telling my wife how crazy the prices have jumped so we came into an arrangement. She wants to make money off it but I want to collect.

Here it is: 

My wife uses her money to buy a book with her money in full. (Example $1000 book)

A. If prices crash I told her I would but the book for 10% more than what she paid for it. (I pay wife $1100 and book is mine) 

B. If prices go up. She wants to sell the book I get 25% off the profit (If book reaches and sells for $1500, My wife gets her $1000, we split profit $375 / $125

C. If prices go up I have rights of first refusal 50% of the profit. (If book reaches $1500 in gpa, I can buy the book at $1250)

Will probably go with C most of the time haha. Just bought a Thor 165 yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, DomUga said:

I am a collector (thor keys) first but with the market going nuts i do have FOMO. I have been telling my wife how crazy the prices have jumped so we came into an arrangement. She wants to make money off it but I want to collect.

Here it is: 

My wife uses her money to buy a book with her money in full. (Example $1000 book)

A. If prices crash I told her I would but the book for 10% more than what she paid for it. (I pay wife $1100 and book is mine) 

B. If prices go up. She wants to sell the book I get 25% off the profit (If book reaches and sells for $1500, My wife gets her $1000, we split profit $375 / $125

C. If prices go up I have rights of first refusal 50% of the profit. (If book reaches $1500 in gpa, I can buy the book at $1250)

Will probably go with C most of the time haha. Just bought a Thor 165 yesterday. 

Interesting arrangement. Hopefully that creates some entertaining banter!

10 hours ago, DomUga said:

She hates the idea of "C". Keeps telling me why don't I like money haha. 

Tell her money doesn’t increase by 10% a day like comics, works for me 😉

I'm seeing prices trending up for Strange Tales 135 which, if you ask me, is actually very overdue. Being the first appearance of Shield and Hydra as well as Nick Fury's involvement in Shield, I don't know why so many other issues around it have been selling for more. Like, when you think about it, is the first Contessa Fontaine more important? Or even harder to find? And yet it sells for more money in grade. Hopefully it has a long way to go!

because its a recent hot book, so it attracts the new horde of MCU collectors, and theres more instant demand to grab it after Falcon and Winter Soldier.  ST 135 has always been a key but doesn't have ant NEW hype to propel it right now.  or something...  Do they really expect Julia Louis Dryfuss to stay with the character that long?? She's got a lot of other things on her plate.

7 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

I'm seeing prices trending up for Strange Tales 135 which, if you ask me, is actually very overdue. Being the first appearance of Shield and Hydra as well as Nick Fury's involvement in Shield, I don't know why so many other issues around it have been selling for more. Like, when you think about it, is the first Contessa Fontaine more important? Or even harder to find? And yet it sells for more money in grade. Hopefully it has a long way to go!

Maybe now that Samuel L. Jackson MCU Nick Fury spends his time hanging out with the Skrulls, they'll do something where one of the Skrulls impersonates Fury but there's some kind of screw-up where he accidentally turns into David Hasselhoff with an eye patch and a cigar.  Then the sky's the limit for the first appearance of (white) Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Makes you wonder why Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #5 (the first appearance of Ultimate Nick Fury, drawn to literally look like Samuel L. Jackson) has never spiked.

On 5/7/2021 at 9:41 PM, DomUga said:

Here it is: 

So I can see a problem with domestic tranquility if you use option C but then flip the book.  

Second question is what point in time do you evaluate the book. Like how do you decide when to sell?

Edited by Westy Steve

1 hour ago, Westy Steve said:

So I can see a problem with domestic tranquility if you use option C but then flip the book.  

Second question is what point in time do you evaluate the book. Like how do you decide when to sell?

Haha she would know if ever I did. This is more of her trying to show interest in my hobby. Plus I’m pretty honest haha 

Forgot to post that we will evaluate after a year. It’s on our shared calendar. For example we bought a Thor 165 recently. I speculate that it “might” hit its peak a few weeks before Guardians of the Galaxy 3 that comes out in 2023. So she is ok to wait 2 years max. 

I stopped telling my wife my books are going for right now. She wants me to sell everything. I don't want to do that, yet. Now her and my youngest daughter keep telling me that when I'm gone they're going to sell my collection for $100 for all of them. She'd make someone really happy when they got to my house and she said $100.  Now I have a friend that will help sell them and then give her 90% of what he makes.

Certain books/runs I just can't let go, all of my Iron Man 55's, FF 5, JIM 85, FF 20's, my X-Men run. just can't do it..

4 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

My wife knows what my books are worth and knows the value has gone up.  She's suggested that I sell them but she's suggested that many times when the $ value was much lower.  Doesn't matter, I enjoy my collection and the financial value is an accessory to the personal value and enjoyment that I get from my collection.  As long as I enjoy my collection and I don't need the money I could get from selling - hint, no time soon - the collections stays.  What makes you happy is priceless.

Exactly! 

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:

My wife knows what my books are worth and knows the value has gone up.  She's suggested that I sell them but she's suggested that many times when the $ value was much lower.  Doesn't matter, I enjoy my collection and the financial value is an accessory to the personal value and enjoyment that I get from my collection.  As long as I enjoy my collection and I don't need the money I could get from selling - hint, no time soon - the collections stays.  What makes you happy is priceless.

This entirely sums up my situation. My collection is my collection and as I don't need money from sales right now, I have no intention of selling. When I retire, I will then begin to start downsizing and eventually just have my near and dear keys in my display case. 

On 4/29/2021 at 7:57 PM, pickycollector said:

As of 5/11/21, this sale has not been represented on GoCollect's website (I just e-mailed them as such so we'll see if they update). This is most interesting to me since I have a 9.0 that I had graded by CGC in 2009 (before the birth of CCS in 2013) and I am strongly considering sending it back to CGC for a clean/press hoping for a grade "bump" (up not down lol). There are definitely a few "minor" defects that should benefit from a pressing.