• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,098 posts in this topic

Before the Affleck Daredevil movie, Wizard jacked up the prices, but I didn't see the books actually moving at a higher price. Why would it happen now?

It didn't happen then, because that poop stain of a movie ruined Daredevil for years. Just like the Green Lantern movie sent prices tumbling for GL keys. When movies are done well, (or series), then the books take off. This also applies to speculative fever before the product is released. (See Flash, Avengers, Iron man etc.)

I'm talking about the run-up before the series came out. Why did everyone think first Purple Man was a good buy when details were still sparse?

From what I've heard Purple Man will appear in the Jessica Jones series, not DD.

The Purple Man was used very effectively in Alias. Creepy beyond belief. Evil at a Joker level.

Which is, basically, not the Purple Man. And this proves once again that Bendis more than often either did not know better or did not care anything for the characters.

Characters change. Just like people.

People change. Just like characters :)

Before the Affleck Daredevil movie, Wizard jacked up the prices, but I didn't see the books actually moving at a higher price. Why would it happen now?

It didn't happen then, because that poop stain of a movie ruined Daredevil for years. Just like the Green Lantern movie sent prices tumbling for GL keys. When movies are done well, (or series), then the books take off. This also applies to speculative fever before the product is released. (See Flash, Avengers, Iron man etc.)

I'm talking about the run-up before the series came out. Why did everyone think first Purple Man was a good buy when details were still sparse?

From what I've heard Purple Man will appear in the Jessica Jones series, not DD.

The Purple Man was used very effectively in Alias. Creepy beyond belief. Evil at a Joker level.

Which is, basically, not the Purple Man. And this proves once again that Bendis more than often either did not know better or did not care anything for the characters.

+1

:)

With good reason, yes. Not at a whim, or not because Bendis doesn't know/like/care about a character.

DD is kick and a lot of his silver age books have been seriously undervalued for years in comparison to other silver characters. I know there are more of the 1964 books in higher grade than the early silver age marvel but in the long run if you love DD books and are holding I don't think your going to be unhappy.

Good post.

Nit pick --- I am thinking that 1964 Marvels are still pre-large scale collecting days and 1965 might be a better beginning date for the availability of higher grade books.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201319679328?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

Cap 109 raw FN for $66.01, the buyer also paid an additional $14.90 for shipping to Switzerland.

....and comics4less sold a raw VG/FN in auction for $76, a couple months back.

I think this book is a big sleeper, in relation to the origin tie into the Winter Soldier/next Cap movie....I can see prices for white page slabbed copies in 9.4/higher doubling by the time the movie comes out.

2015 Overstreet also lists this book at $150 in NM- , which is a joke.

This is off-topic but…

People change, in many ways, but not arbitrarily.

While this is what Marvel has deliberately encouraged in the past 8-10 years: a neglection of all that has been done before, an arbitrary and inconsistent treatment of the characters, which have been – for the majority – reduced to hollow shells in the hands of a good number of writers which care little to nothing about them.

That’s not the kind of change belonging to life, that I expect from an albeit fantastic narration, but that has always been "lifelike" in all its fantastic elements.

Marvel characters have been consistently developed for about 40 years, and if one wants to see, it is easy to see – if you don’t want to see it, fine, but don’t dismiss my criticism with such a poor statement, please. :shrug:

With good reason, yes. Not at a whim, or not because Bendis doesn't know/like/care about a character.

Unless I am missing something substantial, I suppose he showed how much he cared by "rewriting" them from scratch, like in "Avengers Disassembled" or worse.

I have yet to get which would be his "good reasons" whenever he wrote regular Marvel characters. :(

the buyer also paid an additional $14.90 for shipping to Switzerland.

Because of eBay's Global Shipping program?

No, I am not enrolled in eBay's Global Shipping program.The buyer paid $14.90 ( total) for shipping b/c the box was shipped to Switzerland.

.....if I were enrolled into the feeBay global selling(swiping) program, the shipping billed to the buyer by feeBay would have been around $30.With around 50% of that $30 going directly into eBay's coffers.

$14.90 was the total cost that the buyer paid for shipping....just mentioned that to illustrate that the total paid for the book (shipping included) was $80.91

$14.90 sent via usps 1st class international air mail, in a well packaged BOX, from the USA to Switzerland is what the USPS charged me.

No, I am not enrolled in eBay's Global Shipping program.The buyer paid $14.90 ( total) for shipping b/c the box was shipped to Switzerland.

.....if I were enrolled into the feeBay global selling(swiping) program, the shipping billed to the buyer by feeBay would have been around $30.With around 50% of that $30 going directly into eBay's coffers.

$14.90 was the total cost that the buyer paid for shipping....just mentioned that to illustrate that the total paid for the book (shipping included) was $80.91

$14.90 sent via usps 1st class international air mail, in a well packaged BOX, from the USA to Switzerland is what the USPS charged me.

How do you know it went to Switzerland? I thought winners were supposed to be anonymous.

How do you know it went to Switzerland? I thought winners were supposed to be anonymous.

Yes, all bidders are anonymous on eBay.

I know it went to Switzerland because it was my auction listing, I shipped it to the winning bidder myself.

Yes, all bidders are anonymous on eBay.

I know it went to Switzerland because it was my auction listing, I shipped it to the winning bidder myself.

That would explain it! Thanks!

Bleeding Cool's retailer meeting article suggests that the Squadron Sinister / Squadron Supreme figure into Marvel's plans after Secret Wars. Besides Avengers 85, what are the key Silver Age books for those characters?

In summary, and in order of importance for SA Aquaman, I think it should go: (i) Adventure 260, followed closely by; (ii) Showcase 30; and (iii) -- big gap -- Aquaman 1.

Based on the current market values, it is 1) SC 30 - small gap - 2) Aquaman 1 --big gap-- 3) Adventure 260 hm

In summary, and in order of importance for SA Aquaman, I think it should go: (i) Adventure 260, followed closely by; (ii) Showcase 30; and (iii) -- big gap -- Aquaman 1.

Based on the current market values, it is 1) SC 30 - small gap - 2) Aquaman 1 --big gap-- 3) Adventure 260 hm

Which is why I said "order of importance," not current market values.

Pretty sure B&B 28 should be in there somewhere. In fact, it and adventure 260 are the only two that matter IMO. The others are redundant and/or superfluous.

-J.

I'd agree that Adventure 260 is a more important book (and of course BB28 tops them all). I think the market is missing the boat by embracing SC 30 as the "key" SA Aquaman book. It's still an important book, has Aquaman on the cover, and helps set up a solo title. But to me it's not as important as the origin of Arthur Curry in Adventure 260. Maybe a book to scoop up while it's still relatively cheap?

I'd agree that Adventure 260 is a more important book (and of course BB28 tops them all). I think the market is missing the boat by embracing SC 30 as the "key" SA Aquaman book. It's still an important book, has Aquaman on the cover, and helps set up a solo title. But to me it's not as important as the origin of Arthur Curry in Adventure 260. Maybe a book to scoop up while it's still relatively cheap?

There's nothing "key" about Showcase 30.

The sheeple have been conned by ubiquitous and blatantly false ebay listings such as these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-30-CGC-7-5-1961-Off-White-to-White-Pages-ORIGIN-AND-1ST-AQUAMAN-/351377116131?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cfb54be3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOWCASE-30-CGC-8-0-ORIGIN-1ST-APP-AQUAMAN-WHITE-PAGES-/121637464589?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c52286a0d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquaman-Showcase-comic-30-CGC-8-White-Pages-ORIGIN-1st-full-AQUAMAN-Key-Issue-/131494460881?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9dae3dd1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-30-5-0-1st-S-A-Aquaman-DC-Key-JLA-Movie-Look-/181725232960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4faaff40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-30-CGC-5-0-OW-White-Pages-1st-Silver-Age-Aquaman-HOT-BOOK-/121590680704?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4f5e8c80

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Showcase-30-CGC-7-0-1961-Off-White-to-White-Pages-ORIGIN-AND-1ST-AQUAMAN-/201292908989?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eddfe09bd

:facepalm:

-J.

There's nothing "key" about Showcase 30.

The sheeple have been conned by ubiquitous and blatantly false ebay listings such as these:

[* * * *]

:facepalm:

-J.

For the reasons stated ad nauseum on this thread, Showcase 30 is most certainly a "key". The degree to which it is a key (e.g., minor key; semi-key; key; mega-key) is for collectors to debate, with the market ultimately deciding its importance. The fact that certain eBay listings might not correctly describe the content of the book or that certain listings engage in sales "puffery" is another matter.