• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

There's nothing "key" about Showcase 30.

The sheeple have been conned by ubiquitous and blatantly false ebay listings such as these:

[* * * *]

:facepalm:

-J.

For the reasons stated ad nauseum on this thread, Showcase 30 is most certainly a "key". The degree to which it is a key (e.g., minor key; semi-key; key; mega-key) is for collectors to debate, with the market ultimately deciding its importance. The fact that certain eBay listings might not correctly describe the content of the book or that certain listings engage in sales "puffery" is another matter.

Why is it a key? Isn't Aquaman's first appearance in More Comics 73?

Showcase 30 isn't even his first silver age appearance...

I get it that is a "re-launch" of sorts, but I don't understand why it is considered a "key." Minor, Semi, Mega or otherwise...

The sheeple have been conned by ubiquitous and blatantly false ebay listings such as these:

[* * * *]

-J.

For the reasons stated ad nauseum on this thread, Showcase 30 is most certainly a "key". The degree to which it is a key (e.g., minor key; semi-key; key; mega-key) is for collectors to debate, with the market ultimately deciding its importance. The fact that certain eBay listings might not correctly describe the content of the book or that certain listings engage in sales "puffery" is another matter.

I get it that is a "re-launch" of sorts, but I don't understand why it is considered a "key." Minor, Semi, Mega or otherwise...

meh

[* * * *]

-J.

meh

touché

Scroll several pages above for a variety of opinions regarding its importance, actual or perceived.

My take: first ever Aquaman full-length book, albeit not in his own title. Prior to that, he was relegated to being a back-up story character. SC 30 essentially retells the Silver Age origin reboot from Adventure 260. I consider it a semi-key, in part because it's one of several late 50s/early 60s DC Silver Age hero reboots (Flash, GL, Atom, Hawkman, JLA, etc.). Plus, it's just a cool book to have.

Edited by zosocane

I appreciate zosocane's obvious passion for the book.

But no, showcase 30 is not a "key" of any sorts. Adventure 260 ("first SA appearance"), and B&B 28 ("second SA appearance, first SA cover appearance, co-founds JLA"). Unless you're a hard core Aquaman fan or a "Showcase" completist, you don't need Showcase 30 for anything. It could just as easily be argued that including him in the JLA first and the reception of B&B 28 is what gave DC the nudge to experiment with the solo story later in Showcase 30. I would say those litany of ebay listings go well beyond "puffery" into downright false advertising territory. 2c

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

But no, showcase 30 is not a "key" of any sorts. Adventure 260 ("first SA appearance"), and B&B 28 ("second SA appearance, first SA cover appearance, co-founds JLA"). Unless you're a hard core Aquaman fan or a "Showcase" completist, you don't need Showcase 30 for anything. Those ridiculous ebay listing descriptions prove the fact. I would say those litany of listings go well beyond "puffery" into downright false advertising territory. 2c

-J.

showcase 30 is a key because I own it and your going to cause a crash J ! :shy:

all it takes is a little board gossip.. :news:

Really... I thought it was his first ever ... mess I got hosed...

But no, showcase 30 is not a "key" of any sorts. Adventure 260 ("first SA appearance"), and B&B 28 ("second SA appearance, first SA cover appearance, co-founds JLA"). Unless you're a hard core Aquaman fan or a "Showcase" completist, you don't need Showcase 30 for anything. Those ridiculous ebay listing descriptions prove the fact. I would say those litany of listings go well beyond "puffery" into downright false advertising territory. 2c

-J.

*Ninja edit* lol

Not saying it's a bad book, and your copy is stellar. It's actually one of my favourite Aquaman covers.

But people are obviously paying a pretty big premium for the book right now based on bad information.

I'll back away from the table now. :shy:

-J.

Paul, if you have a copy -- an 8.5, seriously??? -- you're in pretty good shape. SC 30 should be called Lazarus because the debate on its "keyness" on this very thread has been resurrected. Kinda reminds me of ...

"These aren't the droids you're looking for."

"THESE AREN'T THE DROIDS WE'RE LOOKING FOR."

"Showcase 30 is not a key of any sorts."

"SHOWCASE 30 IS NOT A KEY OF ANY SORTS."

"Move along."

"MOVE ALONG, MOVE ALONG."

It seems the words "key" and "rare" (separate GA discussion currently) get thrown around quite a bit lately. The interpretation of the words mean something different to each individual, so I'm not sure that there's there's a perfect line in the sand that differentiates a "key" from a non-key. Rare may be a little more quantitative, but "key" is certainly in the eye of the beholder.

I tend to err on the conservative (?) side of the word and use "key" for very crucial or pivotal events in comics (and I don't even consider all 1st appearances of minor characters as "key"). In my definition, I'm not sure many SA Aquaman comics qualify at all. I'd interpret the 1st GA Aquaman to be a major key, the origin of Aquaman (Arthur) to also be of significant importance, and of course the creation of the Justice League (with Aquaman) as "key". After that, I don't think anything else qualifies in my book. Of course, I'm also one that doesn't think the 1st appearance of Lobo or X-23 or even Ms Marvel as a "key".

I can see the merits of Showcase 30, and I get that it's a "key" comic for a lot of folks. I just don't subscribe to adding the word "key" to just about every minor event that's happened in 80+ years of comic storytelling. But this one is certainly debatable, I'll give you that.

Showcase #30 is a key because it is the first time ever that Aquaman was a lead feature in a comic all his own. It is also the tryout issue to determine if he could carry his own title.

Adventure Comics #260 is the first Silver Age origin of Aquaman.

Scroll several pages above for a variety of opinions regarding its importance, actual or perceived.

My take: first ever Aquaman full-length book, albeit not in his own title. Prior to that, he was relegated to being a back-up story character. SC 30 essentially retells the Silver Age origin reboot from Adventure 260. I consider it a semi-key, in part because it's one of several late 50s/early 60s DC Silver Age hero reboots (Flash, GL, Atom, Hawkman, JLA, etc.). Plus, it's just a cool book to have.

why no love for Adventure 229?

Showcase #30 is a key because it is the first time ever that Aquaman was a lead feature in a comic all his own. It is also the tryout issue to determine if he could carry his own title.

Sorry, but this seems like very loose reasoning to call a book key on a "B" list character at best.

A better argument could be made for Aquaman 1 in this context....

Sorry, but this seems like very loose reasoning to call a book key on a "B" list character at best.

I agree 100% with Dale.

He might be a B list character but he is one of the founding fathers of the JLA....that has to count for something?!

He might be a B list character but he is one of the founding fathers of the JLA....that has to count for something?!

There doesn't need to be a hierarchy. Period.

This pic is from the last page of the Aquaman story in Adventure Comics 259. Aquaman had been appearing as a backup feature for many years in Adventure Comics. The Aquaman in Adventure Comics 260 and Showcase is the same Aquaman. The story is 260 is a origin story, not a re-introduction of the character. The Aquaman in Showcase is the same character.

I really have no stake in the value of these books argument, I would just say that 260 is NOT the first silver age Aquaman, it is his origin. No different than Superman 106 is a origin issue of Superman. It is actually worth LESS lol in guide than surrounding issues.

sm106-1.jpg

As an origin issue, there should be some bump in value. Also, the Showcase is notable because the character is the lead character of a book for the first time in the 20 years he had been around.

Characters like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Superboy and Aquaman don't have easily defined first silver age issues, since they were published continually from the golden age.

Investor/collectors want to find a characters first appearance, Adventure Comics 260 isn't it for Aquaman, in any form.

ADV259%20interior.jpg