• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

I don't care either way this goes. But giving Aquaman a solo turn in Showcase at that point at DC was a significant moment for the character. Lots of lingering GA second rate heroes never got that top billing Showcase chance... Or did many years later.

So clearly Showcase 30 stands out as a key book. But is it the first Aquaman of any kind? Probably a reboot first appearance given the new Atlantean origin that has stuck ever since.

It would be far easier though if Aquaman hade been gone for a decade prior to #30 though! Like Flash, Atom, GL etc etc

Sorry, but still no. There's nothing "key" about a reprinted origin story, regardless of the title of the book it is reprinted in. There were what, a dozen books featuring Aquaman between B&B 28 and showcase 30? Nobody cared about this book until movie talk started. Then people were bamboozled into buying it based on blatant dealer carnival barking. And by the way that guy on the cover of showcase 30 looks absolutely nothing like whomever Jason Momoa is supposed to be portraying. There may be "key" Aquaman books out there but showcase 30 isn't one of them.

-J.

Sanctimonious self-serving sentimental silliness.

This thread is full of poppycock.

Showcase 30 is rising on a movie high and being sold on a stack of lies. Not a solid argument in the bunch giving it any credence as any form of a key and continued statements of "it's in my personal collection and I personally value it as such" and "simple refusal to counter-point" are prime examples of the nonsense.

+1 to J

1. I can't help but picture Elf when I read the "on a stack of lies" comment.

2. There have been quite a few people providing solid reasons as to why they consider this book a key. You seem to keep ignoring them or declaring their reasoning unfit to meet your personal high standards of keyness.

When I say "I consider this a key, and you don't. Fine with me.", I'm not suggesting that we share a coke and a smile and then hug it out. It's not sentimental nonsense; we've simply reached an impasse. I've stated my case, and you disagree. What else is there to say? Financially, the market eventually decides. Personally, I decide for me, and you decide for you.

Showcase 30 is in fact not a key and has never been a book anybody chased before his appearance in a movie was announced. That single even did not suddenly turn this book into a "key". Temporary perceived "value" or not, there is nothing remotely important about that book for it to warrant such a lofty designation. I understand that many people have bought this book believing it is something that is not. Lesson learned. But please, please, don't let the fact that you own or like this book cause you to retcon it in your imagination into being a "key". Just keep it real and enjoy owning your non-key book that you like.

-J.

This quote is absolutely a key. 1st full appearance of Jaydog as "Key Master".

How do you know it is "in fact" not a key? Did the Illuminati convene a special session wherein Showcase #30 was forbidden key status?

I'm joking because I know you must have been when you said "enjoy owning your non-key book that you like.". Yes, that deserved to be quoted twice in one reply. I need to be sure that you understand that you and I don't get to decide what books are the keys in other people's collections. Maybe the market decides, depending on the definition of key, but I'm certain that we don't.

And if we are leaving it up to the popular vote of the collecting community, then this book is very much a key. The money has spoken, and people are spending it on Showcase #30. I'm not selling my copy, so the rise in price doesn't fatten my wallet, but I do still wonder why you two are so intent on going out of your way to convince everyone that this isn't a sought after book. Is it just that you want your personal definition of key to be recognized as the accepted version?

I understand that you disagree, but why does that mean everyone else has to be wrong? All joking aside, I'm genuinely curious and not attacking you. It just reads more like you are bringing down the tablets from Mount Sinai and declaring the truth, rather than debating the merits of the book.

I don't care either way this goes. But giving Aquaman a solo turn in Showcase at that point at DC was a significant moment for the character. Lots of lingering GA second rate heroes never got that top billing Showcase chance... Or did many years later.

So clearly Showcase 30 stands out as a key book. But is it the first Aquaman of any kind? Probably a reboot first appearance given the new Atlantean origin that has stuck ever since.

It would be far easier though if Aquaman hade been gone for a decade prior to #30 though! Like Flash, Atom, GL etc etc

+1. A bunch of people don't seem to understand the purpose behind these Showcase issues. Oh well carry on.

Sanctimonious self-serving sentimental silliness.

This thread is full of poppycock.

Showcase 30 is rising on a movie high and being sold on a stack of lies. Not a solid argument in the bunch giving it any credence as any form of a key and continued statements of "it's in my personal collection and I personally value it as such" and "simple refusal to counter-point" are prime examples of the nonsense.

+1 to J

1. I can't help but picture Elf when I read the "on a stack of lies" comment.

2. There have been quite a few people providing solid reasons as to why they consider this book a key. You seem to keep ignoring them or declaring their reasoning unfit to meet your personal high standards of keyness.

When I say "I consider this a key, and you don't. Fine with me.", I'm not suggesting that we share a coke and a smile and then hug it out. It's not sentimental nonsense; we've simply reached an impasse. I've stated my case, and you disagree. What else is there to say? Financially, the market eventually decides. Personally, I decide for me, and you decide for you.

Showcase 30 is in fact not a key and has never been a book anybody chased before his appearance in a movie was announced. That single even did not suddenly turn this book into a "key". Temporary perceived "value" or not, there is nothing remotely important about that book for it to warrant such a lofty designation. I understand that many people have bought this book believing it is something that is not. Lesson learned. But please, please, don't let the fact that you own or like this book cause you to retcon it in your imagination into being a "key". Just keep it real and enjoy owning your non-key book that you like.

-J.

This quote is absolutely a key. 1st full appearance of Jaydog as "Key Master".

How do you know it is "in fact" not a key? Did the Illuminati convene a special session wherein Showcase #30 was forbidden key status?

I'm joking because I know you must have been when you said "enjoy owning your non-key book that you like.". Yes, that deserved to be quoted twice in one reply. I need to be sure that you understand that you and I don't get to decide what books are the keys in other people's collections. Maybe the market decides, depending on the definition of key, but I'm certain that we don't.

And if we are leaving it up to the popular vote of the collecting community, then this book is very much a key. The money has spoken, and people are spending it on Showcase #30. I'm not selling my copy, so the rise in price doesn't fatten my wallet, but I do still wonder why you two are so intent on going out of your way to convince everyone that this isn't a sought after book. Is it just that you want your personal definition of key to be recognized as the accepted version?

I understand that you disagree, but why does that mean everyone else has to be wrong? All joking aside, I'm genuinely curious and not attacking you. It just reads more like you are bringing down the tablets from Mount Sinai and declaring the truth, rather than debating the merits of the book.

A couple pages back I linked to a half dozen ebay listings no less where every single seller referred to this book as the "first SA appearance" of aquaman.

I suggest you take a look at those again and then you tell me who exactly is trying to convince whom of what. (thumbs u

-J.

A couple pages back I linked to a half dozen ebay listings no less where every single seller referred to this book as the "first SA appearance" of aquaman.

I suggest you take a look at those again and then you tell me who exactly is trying to convince whom of what. (thumbs u

-J.

I agree that it is not the first silver age Aquaman, and I certainly agree that people often stretch the truth to try and get a sale on eBay.

We may need that coke and a hug after all. (thumbs u

-J.

I agree that it is not the first silver age Aquaman, and I certainly agree that people often stretch the truth to try and get a sale on eBay.

We may need that coke and a hug after all. (thumbs u

^^:whee:

-J.

I got Showcase 30 a long time ago. Have always thought of it as a key.

Movie, schmoovie, I couldn't care less.

There is no retcon, there is no bamboozling, not towards me. Sorry.

Congrats..?

No sure what this has to do with anything?

Let's try this again because there is some misinformation re Adv 260, SC 30 and Aqua 1. [iNSERT DEAD HORSE BEING BEATEN EMOTICON HERE]. I hope this is helpful.

Adventure 260 = First Silver Age origin of Aquaman. Not a first appearance issue, but a material revamp of the character's origin. Is this issue important and collectible? Yes. The degree of "keyness" is for debate. Personally, I consider it a semi-key and a darn cool book to have. It's a book that if you see it in a long box, you don't disregard it.

Showcase 30 = a retelling (not a reprinting) of the origin from Adventure 260, and more importantly, the first time Aquaman ever gets his own full-length comic book. It is a tryout issue to see if the kids are willing to pony up a dime or 12 cents to buy an Aquaman-only comic. Like Adventure 260, it is published by DC during their late 50s/early 60s Silver Age superhero renaissance, where Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, JSA (JLA) and Atom are revamped or dusted off from their Golden Age shelf. Is this issue important and collectible? Yes. Personally, I consider it an important semi-key and a darn cool book to have. It's a book that if you see it in a long box, you don't disregard it.

Aquaman 1 = the character's first title book. A number 1. Not a first appearance. Personally, I consider it a minor semi-key and no more important than Iron Man 1, which I don't consider that important but the market goes nuts over it. Having said that, it's a book that if you see in a long box, you don't disregard it.

+1. A bunch of people don't seem to understand the purpose behind these Showcase issues. Oh well carry on.

There are some people who have an extremely narrow definition of what a key is and for some reason, fail and/or refuse to look at the history surrounding a book like Showcase 30. The Showcase books published during that era were an "introduction" of characters to a new age of collectors- some re-introduced GA characters, others new concepts, while a character like Aquaman was finally given the same stage as Green Lantern, Atom, Sea Devils, Challies, Adam Strange, etc. Aquaman had been around and its a testament to this character's lack of lameness that he managed to stick around, albiet in the back pages of Adventure Comics, while others simply disappeared during the early postwar period. I can't agree more when you say some people fail to understand the greatest SA run and the purpose behind it.

I got Showcase 30 a long time ago. Have always thought of it as a key.

Movie, schmoovie, I couldn't care less.

There is no retcon, there is no bamboozling, not towards me. Sorry.

Congrats..?

No sure what this has to do with anything?

I was trying to reply to your other post, but it is now dust in the wind. Probably for the best, since you don't want such silliness leaving a stain on your posting legacy.

Anyway, you were searching for consensus. That's easy. Collectors have spoken with their wallets, and Showcase #30 is, at the very least, a minor key.

Why is Hulk #181 considered a more important key than #180? Money. That's the consensus. Sure, there are specific reasons that people used when the majority chose #181. They are the opposite reasons people used when they decided on the key Doomsday and Darkseid appearances. The consensus is often arbitrary. Why is Batman #227 considered a key? Batman #251? How about a Hulk vs. Thor battle from 1973, nearly a decade after they first fought? None of these feature a first appearance of note. Yet they all command a premium.

So what is our clearest indicator of what collectors consider to be key? How they choose to spend their money.

This consensus you seek doesn't really help your argument.

So what else is heating up on eBay besides the white hot juggernaut that is Showcase #30? Are the still affordable Dr. Strange books about to get another bump as more movie info is made available?

There are some people who have an extremely narrow definition of what a key is and for some reason, fail and/or refuse to look at the history surrounding a book like Showcase 30. The Showcase books published during that era were an "introduction" of characters to a new age of collectors- some re-introduced GA characters, others new concepts, while a character like Aquaman was finally given the same stage as Green Lantern, Atom, Sea Devils, Challies, Adam Strange, etc. Aquaman had been around and its a testament to this character's lack of lameness that he managed to stick around, albiet in the back pages of Adventure Comics, while others simply disappeared during the early postwar period. I can't agree more when you say some people fail to understand the greatest SA run and the purpose behind it.

....except Aquaman had already been "re-introduced" within the pages of B&B. Therein will always be the rub to this book's alleged "keyness".

Other posters have used the word "notable" to describe the book. It is perhaps "notable" to Aquaman fans that this was his first "solo story". That is probably a much fairer use of terminology. Whether or not this "notable" book is fairly valued at this point what with fleeting movie hype and glut of falsely advertising ebay listings is an entirely different conversation.

-J.

As a supporting character in BB 28. Think about a character who survived the decline of the superhero era only to be denied starring in his own book for 2 decades! SC 30 is the book that gives the new generation of SA collectors the first exclusive Aquaman book. The further success of the tryout SC Aquaman books led to Aquaman 1- Aquaman would probably have shown up somewhere with Cave Carson had his SC appearances resulted in poor sales.

J, you know how I feel about the movie hype baloney- I've never purchased a SA key because there's a movie coming out in the next two or three decades.

I think notable is a good way to define the book but it does so only if we limit the significance of a Tryout Book. Defining a SA Tryout book is the crux of the issue here- sometime we as collectors need to look at context when defining a book's significance. SC 30 is another way and reason why the SC series was the greatest SA run (and in the opinion of this Marvel guy- greatest run in the history of the American Comic Book)- among all the great 1st apps., re-intros, is a Try Out book of a lame character that chugged along from the GA through the great assault on the comic book to finally appear as a founding member on the cover of DC's greatest SA team.

Comes back to what I've said before- this place would be boring if everyone always agreed on the same things.

As a supporting character in BB 28. Think about a character who survived the decline of the superhero era only to be denied starring in his own book for 2 decades! SC 30 is the book that gives the new generation of SA collectors the first exclusive Aquaman book. The further success of the tryout SC Aquaman books led to Aquaman 1- Aquaman would probably have shown up somewhere with Cave Carson had his SC appearances resulted in poor sales.

J, you know how I feel about the movie hype baloney- I've never purchased a SA key because there's a movie coming out in the next two or three decades.

I think notable is a good way to define the book but it does so only if we limit the significance of a Tryout Book. Defining a SA Tryout book is the crux of the issue here- sometime we as collectors need to look at context when defining a book's significance. SC 30 is another way and reason why the SC series was the greatest SA run (and in the opinion of this Marvel guy- greatest run in the history of the American Comic Book)- among all the great 1st apps., re-intros, is a Try Out book of a lame character that chugged along from the GA through the great assault on the comic book to finally appear as a founding member on the cover of DC's greatest SA team.

Comes back to what I've said before- this place would be boring if everyone always agreed on the same things.

lol I wish I could say the same.

-J.

lol I wish I could say the same.

-J.

I refuse to believe that about you!!