• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

The first CGC 9.2 Dr. Solar #1 to cross the $1,000 mark...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252740369789

Long droughts on GPAnalysis seem to indicate this book isn't as plentiful as some Gold Key.

... and it becomes the first CGC 9.2 Dr. Solar #1 to cross the $2,000 mark as well. $2,026 final.

With Adam Warlock being announced for GOTG 3, and as a key player in the Marvel cosmic universe going forward, it'll be interesting to see how his early books do going forward...

7 hours ago, AGGIEZ said:

With Adam Warlock being announced for GOTG 3, and as a key player in the Marvel cosmic universe going forward, it'll be interesting to see how his early books do going forward...

I agree. This will be very interesting to watch play out. People have been speculating on/hoarding Warlock books for several years now based on the fairly safe assumption that he would show up in the MCU sooner or later. 

Well James Gunn just threw a huge softball in the air for everyone to take a clumsy swing at 3 years in advance. My feeling is that if you don't already own these books then don't chase them now. In fact the safest bet could be in fact to "sell on the news".

Then again we could see a short-term pop in these books followed by an extended pullback (buying opportunity) and then a final frantic ascension leading up to GOTG 3. (Typical movie book cycle?)

I think this will speak a lot to the efficiency or inefficiency of the market for these movie/TV character books. Thanks to James Gunn we have a front row seat. WWBN 32 is paying close attention.

Is it my imagination of has DOOM PATROL #99 begun heating up. I know high grade copies are difficult to come y but even low to mid-grade copies are getting into the $100 range. I used to see this book at $10-$20 all day long. Is the first appearance of BEAST BOY that hot?

Doom+Patrol+%2399.jpg

2 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

Is it my imagination of has DOOM PATROL #99 begun heating up. I know high grade copies are difficult to come y but even low to mid-grade copies are getting into the $100 range. I used to see this book at $10-$20 all day long. Is the first appearance of BEAST BOY that hot?

People have been chasing this book for about 3 years now.

What the heck just happened with Fantastic Four Annual 6?  All 3 of my copies that were up on E-Bay got bought in 10 minutes at full price.  Some announcement must have happened.

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

What the heck just happened with Fantastic Four Annual 6?  All 3 of my copies that were up on E-Bay got bought in 10 minutes at full price.  Some announcement must have happened.

Geez, good question. My first thought is first Franklin, so maybe a long-rumored Power Pack announcement happened? I don't see anything Annihilus related happening. hm

Edited by Readcomix

False alarm - heard back from the guy and he is just buying up every nice looking copy he can find since he heard a rumor about a kid friendly FF movie/show.  No actual news - just a guy trying to get ahead of the curve.  Definitely a nice book to be hording.

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

False alarm - heard back from the guy and he is just buying up every nice looking copy he can find since he heard a rumor about a kid friendly FF movie/show.  No actual news - just a guy trying to get ahead of the curve.  Definitely a nice book to be hording.

Ok, thanks! Question remains -- would this book spike on a Power Pack movie/revival? Or is it too far removed?

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

Ok, thanks! Question remains -- would this book spike on a Power Pack movie/revival? Or is it too far removed?

I think it really depends if Franklin is played by a hot new actor and is the start of the show then FF Annual 6 will definitely be a sleeper.  I think it's a sleeper just because it's pretty rare in higher grades and has a killer cover.  And with two 1st appearances I've been buying every cheap copy I come across - unfortunately I keep selling them rather then hording them. lol

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I think it really depends if Franklin is played by a hot new actor and is the start of the show then FF Annual 6 will definitely be a sleeper.  I think it's a sleeper just because it's pretty rare in higher grades and has a killer cover.  And with two 1st appearances I've been buying every cheap copy I come across - unfortunately I keep selling them rather then hording them. lol

I see your logic and agree on it...but...you might BE making the market right now  lol

Seriously, your sale of three copies in no time flat the other night indicates others are thinking along these lines too, I think.

I used to hoard FFA6; it's my all-time favorite comic. Back then of course, it was really cheap, so I could give them away to anybody who hadn't read it. 

Now I can't even afford to give away the giant-size reprint.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:36 PM, KirbyJack said:

I used to hoard FFA6; it's my all-time favorite comic. Back then of course, it was really cheap, so I could give them away to anybody who hadn't read it. 

Now I can't even afford to give away the giant-size reprint.

I started buying copies of that book after reading the Annihilation series. Awesome read that got me in to Marvel cosmic. He would be an incredible addition to the next phase of GOTG.

22 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Hasn't this one been kinda "hot" now for awhile?  

I'd say not hot since I do not see it on dealer walls and I find it in almost every store I stop into.  Low grade copies are still floating around for $10-$15 which seems like a steal for that book.

Edited by 1Cool

I think most silver age have reached their potential.

Some books to keep an eye out that I think has potential growth is:

GREATEST ADVENTURE #80 (1st DOOM PATROL)

SECRET SIX #1

SUPERBOY #68 (starting to take off big time)

Detective Comics #478 (1st silver age Clayface)

Batman #155 (1st silver age Penguin) much overlooked and very undervalued

A lot of DC war comics are also under looked liked ENEMY ACE, UNKNOWN SOLDIER and HAUNTED TANK

Marvel wise I see potential in

AVENGERS #71 (1st Invaders)

Avengers #83 (1st Valkyrie)

Avengers #87 (origin Black Panther)

Avengers #93 (start of Kree/Skrull war)

Marvel Westerns are also over looked. This could have vast potential in the MCU and dirt cheap

others

MAGNUS ROBOT FIGHTER 1

BLUE BEETLE #1 (1st Question)

These are just off the top of my head.

4 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

I think most silver age have reached their potential.

Some books to keep an eye out that I think has potential growth is:

GREATEST ADVENTURE #80 (1st DOOM PATROL)

SECRET SIX #1

SUPERBOY #68 (starting to take off big time)

Detective Comics #478 (1st silver age Clayface)

Batman #155 (1st silver age Penguin) much overlooked and very undervalued

A lot of DC war comics are also under looked liked ENEMY ACE, UNKNOWN SOLDIER and HAUNTED TANK

Marvel wise I see potential in

AVENGERS #71 (1st Invaders)

Avengers #83 (1st Valkyrie)

Avengers #87 (origin Black Panther)

Avengers #93 (start of Kree/Skrull war)

Marvel Westerns are also over looked. This could have vast potential in the MCU and dirt cheap

others

MAGNUS ROBOT FIGHTER 1

BLUE BEETLE #1 (1st Question)

These are just off the top of my head.

Hey,

May I ask what the big deal about Secret Six 1 is all about? I actually just got a copy in a collection and seeing you specifically point it out is quite interesting.

Thanks in advance