• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Rezin1234 said:

Hey,

May I ask what the big deal about Secret Six 1 is all about? I actually just got a copy in a collection and seeing you specifically point it out is quite interesting.

Thanks in advance

well, to be perfectly honest, it's not the characters or story per say but the title. Like SUICIDE SQUAD, SECRET SIX sounds cool and I doubt DC will pass up anything that sounds cool. Plus the idea that it is obscure enough to allow them to pretty much do anything they want with the title. That and it is the first appearance and under-looked key silver age adds up to potential. If I recall, you can get high grade copies (if you can find them) for less than $30-40. Correct me if I am wrong.

On December 26, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Dogsupreme said:

I think most silver age have reached their potential.

Some books to keep an eye out that I think has potential growth is:

GREATEST ADVENTURE #80 (1st DOOM PATROL)

SECRET SIX #1

SUPERBOY #68 (starting to take off big time)

Detective Comics #478 (1st silver age Clayface)

Batman #155 (1st silver age Penguin) much overlooked and very undervalued

A lot of DC war comics are also under looked liked ENEMY ACE, UNKNOWN SOLDIER and HAUNTED TANK

Marvel wise I see potential in

AVENGERS #71 (1st Invaders)

Avengers #83 (1st Valkyrie)

Avengers #87 (origin Black Panther)

Avengers #93 (start of Kree/Skrull war)

Marvel Westerns are also over looked. This could have vast potential in the MCU and dirt cheap

others

MAGNUS ROBOT FIGHTER 1

BLUE BEETLE #1 (1st Question)

These are just off the top of my head.

Detective Comics 478 is first bronze age Clayface I think you meant. It's from 1978 so definitely not a silverager.

Avengers #83 is NOT the first apperance of the Valkyrie. It’s just the Enchantress disguided as the Valkyrie.
The actual first apperance of the Valkyrie is Hulk #142 (where she incarnates in Samantha Parrington), and then Defenders #4 if we want to consider properly the Valkyrie people have known and loved in her Barbara Norriss persona.

4 hours ago, vaillant said:

Avengers #83 is NOT the first apperance of the Valkyrie. It’s just the Enchantress disguided as the Valkyrie.
The actual first apperance of the Valkyrie is Hulk #142 (where she incarnates in Samantha Parrington), and then Defenders #4 if we want to consider properly the Valkyrie people have known and loved in her Barbara Norriss persona.

Sorry to disagree, but Avengers #83 is the obvious and only 1st appearance of Valkyrie.  The Enchantress created a false identity named Valkyrie, that Marvel then used with Samantha Pennington , Barbara Norris, etc.

The name, powers, personality and costume design were all created in Avengers #83.

I own multiples of Hulk #142 and Defenders #4 and both books are important in that they introduce new civilian identities for the character, but Avengers #83 introduced the character.

The Enchantress did not invent anything, she just posed as the Valkyrie (a character which actually does not appear). The story then unfolds in a complex way, so it can be seen either way as being Hulk #142 or Defenders #4, but Avengers #83 remains relevant "retroactively" even if it came out first, because – as far as the character's history and significant presence – is neglectable. One can say it’s a fun story, I agree, but no one would have considered it the "first apperance of the Valkyrie" up to twenty years ago. It’s just this market that it has become terminally ill while seeking for "hot keys" often without even knowing what’s story is going on in the insides of books with pretty or "cool" covers. And that’s pretty discouraging, I have to say.
I would even add Hulk #126 is a lot more important than Avengers #83 in the grand scheme of things, as it’s there that Barbara Norriss loses his mind, causing – due to the psichiatric disabilty caused by its spiritual derangement because of the Nameless Ones – his body to turn into a sort of "vegetative" state. The subsequent ideas unfolded in the Defenders are brilliant.

Edited by vaillant

On 1/13/2018 at 11:47 AM, boomtown said:

Sorry to disagree, but Avengers #83 is the obvious and only 1st appearance of Valkyrie.  The Enchantress created a false identity named Valkyrie, that Marvel then used with Samantha Pennington , Barbara Norris, etc.

The name, powers, personality and costume design were all created in Avengers #83.

I own multiples of Hulk #142 and Defenders #4 and both books are important in that they introduce new civilian identities for the character, but Avengers #83 introduced the character.

I have to agree here and I noticed recently that some of the websites have been changing her first appearance from avengers #83 over to Hulk #126 and I'm thinking when the heck did that happen?
Bottom line, it doesn't matter if that person is being imitated by another character or not, it is still the first time that character has been drawn and put on paper.  The fact it is done front and center of the cover makes it all the more significant.  Take a look at hulk 126 and tell me that is more desirable of a cover than avengers 83.  It's like trying to argue that hulk 180 will some day outshine hulk 181.  
Plus if we look at Valkyrie the way the MCU has portrayed it recently in the Thor Ragnarok movie, there is no one person that is Valkyrie, they are a group of warriors.  One of them just happens to be Barbara.  The first one to show up in print is Avengers 83 regardless of who it was.

Edited by 90sChild

Two Gun Kid 77 is a sleeper even with the Black Panther already the hit it is. 

Pretty clear prototype from 9/1965 and FF 52 came out in 7/1966

They even changed the character in the reprint. 

Ebay might have 3 of these listed for every 100 FF 52 or 53. 

Issue

printSizeImage

Image result for two gun kid 119

Edited by ft88

13 hours ago, Bighaley21 said:

I bid on maybe half a dozen of his books including that one, and got demolished on all but one. $9k for that seems like a huge risk to me. It probably has to hit 8.0 or better to be worth it, and the sun shadow on the bottom edge gave me pause. 

8 hours ago, october said:

I bid on maybe half a dozen of his books including that one, and got demolished on all but one. $9k for that seems like a huge risk to me. It probably has to hit 8.0 or better to be worth it, and the sun shadow on the bottom edge gave me pause. 

I am no pro but 7.0 Tops. The staples are shot with see thru holes? tanning and general defects I agree That 8.0 is a real stretch.

40 minutes ago, paul747 said:

I am no pro but 7.0 Tops. The staples are shot with see thru holes? tanning and general defects I agree That 8.0 is a real stretch.

As much as I love this book I'm not sure why it's seen such a dramatic increase over the last few years. It's pure speculation, through and through.

I'd love to own one, but not at this price point.

1 hour ago, Howling Mad said:

As much as I love this book I'm not sure why it's seen such a dramatic increase over the last few years. It's pure speculation, through and through.

I'd love to own one, but not at this price point.

It seems like a lot of silver age comic books are making fresh new highs , I don't know what  exactly is going on, but it is getting really expensive to buy many books. Its so hard not to recognize these prices or value. I don't think prices are going to go in the opposite direction.  The demand is real and the supply is not infinite.  I am excited and bummed at the same time.  I have definitely been priced out of many books I really wanted to add to my collection, I fear I will never own them at this point. Who knows !

19 hours ago, paul747 said:

It seems like a lot of silver age comic books are making fresh new highs , I don't know what  exactly is going on, but it is getting really expensive to buy many books. Its so hard not to recognize these prices or value. I don't think prices are going to go in the opposite direction.  The demand is real and the supply is not infinite.  I am excited and bummed at the same time.  I have definitely been priced out of many books I really wanted to add to my collection, I fear I will never own them at this point. Who knows !

i feel very similar to this. whats worse is seeing books that i've watched closely for a few years leave the price point at which i could have gotten them in the grade i want. as you say, it's exciting for the field and good news in relation to what i do own, but it's a bummer when trying to acquire everything else i've been wanting for so long. 

2 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

I am noticing a price increase for BATMAN #139. Now we all know DETECTIVE 359 is 1st appearance of the modern BATGIRL but is Bats 139 flying under the radar. Which would you shoot for in high grade?

I don't see 139 flying under the radar at all.  Speculators are buying it because they're starved for another breakout book to get ahead of, and they chose this one because Batman keys show rapid increases and lasting value when they catch on.  The fact that the speculators are chasing it makes other people want it, and that leaves a lot of sheep overpaying for a book they would've had no interest in a year ago.

Yeah, I've noticed that book's been getting some heat, but I look at Bats 139 as more of a curiosity from a "fun" time than a legitimate key that has any relevance today. Much of that early Silver era is a real stonewall for me in putting together a Batman run. I mean, I have a decent amount of late 10-cent Bats, but I just can't bring myself to fork over big bucks for books that I consider essentially out-of-continuity with the Batman I know.