• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2021 at 9:59 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

spec sales like this make no sense to me 

Mephisto hasn’t seen 1 second of screen time in the MCU

Thanos carried a storyline over multiple MCU movies and I can get an Iron Man 55 in the same 7.5 grade for $725 (at least that is what current FMV is)

now I know Thanos isn’t on the cover or IM 55 and that SS 3 is a bit older of a book and maybe SS is harder to get in that grade being a square-bound book but come on now, who is the bigger bad

I continue to wonder how much of this is market manipulation

Lots of Mephisto easter eggs in WandaVision apparently - SS 3 has been really undervalued for a long time and not many higher grade copies available for sale online in the main sites.

That being said though, this does seem like an extreme outlier sale.

ST #110

Define 'huge upturn'?

Most grades are just nudging back past 2019 levels - we are talking a few hundred $$ here.

9.4 dropped from $55K to $47K (Nov)

Sub $3000 - sure there been a bit of a move - but I can't describe a Book that has seen it's main character on film several times, and played by a world admired actor as 'surging' when a few low grade books rise a few hundred bucks over 2018/19 prices.

Should it be higher - probably.

Does the cover kill it - absolutely.

Dr Strange being in Wandavision and a few more movies will just see this book do what its been doing for the last 5 years - slowly moving up a few hundred at a time.

There are plenty of 5.0 or less on ebay  - all way above GPA.

I'd suggest it's people buying the book at realistic prices when they come up - not a 'surge'.

Now watch someone buy a 5.0 for $10,000 or something. :roflmao:

It usually takes a high grade book to pop and drag the lower ones up.

The 9.4 dropped $8K, and other higher grades are static.

It's still very much a book to own for sure - always be a slow,steady climber - think of Daredevil #1 as a good comparison - 9.0's sat at $5K for years - it finally took off 3 seasons of good TV, 4 movies and a sniff of being in the MCU.

Strange Tales #110 and Dr Strange has started in the MCU - without much fanfare - Strange isn't as popular as other characters - Luckily a good actor was chosen to offset the character itself.

I'd need to see all grades doubling in price in the next 6 months to get uber-excited about a pop.

I'd certainly buy if one was well priced, that's for sure.

Long term hold for mine. :foryou:

1 hour ago, Beige said:

ST #110

Define 'huge upturn'?

Most grades are just nudging back past 2019 levels - we are talking a few hundred $$ here.

9.4 dropped from $55K to $47K (Nov)

Sub $3000 - sure there been a bit of a move - but I can't describe a Book that has seen it's main character on film several times, and played by a world admired actor as 'surging' when a few low grade books rise a few hundred bucks over 2018/19 prices.

Should it be higher - probably.

Does the cover kill it - absolutely.

Dr Strange being in Wandavision and a few more movies will just see this book do what its been doing for the last 5 years - slowly moving up a few hundred at a time.

There are plenty of 5.0 or less on ebay  - all way above GPA.

I'd suggest it's people buying the book at realistic prices when they come up - not a 'surge'.

Now watch someone buy a 5.0 for $10,000 or something. :roflmao:

It usually takes a high grade book to pop and drag the lower ones up.

The 9.4 dropped $8K, and other higher grades are static.

It's still very much a book to own for sure - always be a slow,steady climber - think of Daredevil #1 as a good comparison - 9.0's sat at $5K for years - it finally took off 3 seasons of good TV, 4 movies and a sniff of being in the MCU.

Strange Tales #110 and Dr Strange has started in the MCU - without much fanfare - Strange isn't as popular as other characters - Luckily a good actor was chosen to offset the character itself.

I'd need to see all grades doubling in price in the next 6 months to get uber-excited about a pop.

I'd certainly buy if one was well priced, that's for sure.

Long term hold for mine. :foryou:

Nice review of the current climate... Y es,  I was talking about recent  moment in the sub $3000 grades because that's all I can afford so a few hundred bucks seems like a big difference to me.  

Not sure if this will translate to the higher echelon of grades but we'll see! All the MCU appearances seem bullish to me.

Edited by Wolverinex

57 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

I actually like the cover to FF48; it may not have Galactus or the Silver Surfer on it, but it's still really cool.

Exactly my point. It's a great cover without having either SS or Galactus on it. 

ST110 cover is just bad.  IMO, which deters from the great potential the book could have 

53 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

I just looked at the cover of my copy again, and it's worse than I remembered. Yeesh.

xD it's just one of those funny quirks Lee and Ditko used to think that the Human Torch and Paste Pot Pete were more popular attractions for the reader... ironic 

Horror stories like Dr Strange  were a back up to the main dish... they had no idea that this backup hero would become so popular with time

I think it's cool that Strange's 1st appearance is hidden... no cover appearance, no mention,  just completely ignored... such a subdued introduction but that's just life... Can't always judge a book by its cover. 

Whoever can't look past the cover. Don't buy it.  But there are definitely Strange fans who don't mind and will swoop in to pick it up.

Edited by Wolverinex