• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

Couldn’t find a JIM 85 anywhere, not on eBay, comic link, comic connect or heritage, finally found a 7.0 Yellow Label but had to pay high for it, what is going on with this book?

I bought a 7.0 stan lee signature about a year ago.  Who signed yours?

1 hour ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

Still I wanted a 8.0 and there is nothing out there, patience isn’t my strong point so I am buying a 7.0 because I have no other choice. Never thought a JIM 85 would be a priority book, 83 maybe but not 85!

I will admit, I never saw JIM 85 as a priority for collecting. Now I may never own it. 

Loki is a top 5 villain IMO and that book deserves it's due! 

finally found a 7.0 Yellow Label but had to pay high for it,

Hey, a 7.0 SS JIM85 is nothing to sneeze at!  I only have a lower grade raw pending slab at CGC, so I'm a bit jelly.   Anyway, it's a great book for any PC, and I wouldn't worry about the price you paid for it.  That book is a popular key and should remain strong.  

46 minutes ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

Hi guys I am a action figure collector so not very knowledgable about Comics even though I own a few, why is there so much negativity about AF15?

I don't think there is any negativity around AF15. 

If anything, allot of collectors are surprised it hasn't taken off more in this extremely hot market. 

Recent sales have really started to pick up and as someone who was really looking to get a complete copy, I will likely be priced out of this one. 

Hi guys I am a action figure collector so not very knowledgable about Comics even though I own a few, why is there so much negativity about AF15?

It is the king of the Silver Age and everyone on here wants one if they don't have (I want one) and wants more if they have any. That said, it is very expensive per point and there is probably some bitterness about how much it costs to jump in the pool. I don't know and I could be being conservative, but a complete NG coverless copy that is brittle paged with outer wrap back stains and some writing on the opening splash probably still gets $5k. I don't know who you think is negative on it, but do you think it has a lot of room to grow, percentage-wise? History has shown, especially long-term, it is not wise to bet against it.

2 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

It is the king of the Silver Age and everyone on here wants one if they don't have (I want one) and wants more if they have any. That said, it is very expensive per point and there is probably some bitterness about how much it costs to jump in the pool. I don't know and I could be being conservative, but a complete NG coverless copy that is brittle paged with outer wrap back stains and some writing on the opening splash probably still gets $5k. I don't know who you think is negative on it, but do you think it has a lot of room to grow, percentage-wise? History has shown, especially long-term, it is not wise to bet against it.

I don’t know what you mean by betting against it?

1 minute ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

I don’t know what you mean by betting against it?

Usually when talking about betting for or against an asset of some kind, it means selling while the book (the asset) is up instead of holding for future gains. In other words, arguing against future growth. Or have I entirely misunderstood what you meant by people are negative on the most widely-desired book of the Silver Age?

I'll put it this way. 

The single most expensive comic book I ever bought was a .5 AF15 I got one month ago (missing a back cover).  

I don't speculate or care about who will be the next movie or show. But I believe so strongly in AF15, that I immediately started saving for a second, complete copy.  

If prices take off much more, I will likely be very content with the one I have. But Spiderman is the top character from the top company in comic book history. He may never reach AC1 or Tec27 prices because those books are much scarcer.  But that book will always have demand. 

40 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I will admit, I never saw JIM 85 as a priority for collecting. Now I may never own it. 

Loki is a top 5 villain IMO and that book deserves it's due! 

JIM 85 is the only issue I need to have a complete JIM/Thor run and I am looking for 8.0 or better so it is going to be harder to have a full run of that title :frown:

3 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Usually when talking about betting for or against an asset of some kind, it means selling while the book (the asset) is up instead of holding for future gains. In other words, arguing against future growth. Or have I entirely misunderstood what you meant by people are negative on the most widely-desired book of the Silver Age?

I only joined this forum today but while scrolling through the threads one is about the drop in price of AF 15?

I also noticed some prices for AF15 which seemed reasanoble in a speculative market.

I am not looking for an argument with anyone I just want to know if you think it is a favourable time to buy an AF15 as when it comes to comics I am more investor than collector.