• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

Assuming the same grade and page colour is a Pedigree comic worth more than a non Pedigree, if yes by how much?

@chrisco37 is 100% right

There may be a slight bump for SA pedigrees, but I don't think it's significant. 

In all my years of collecting I've never intentionally bought a pedigree. Sure, I would love to own a Church book, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it personally. No disrespect to Edgar, but I'm more concerned about the book itself than who once owned it. 

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

@chrisco37 is 100% right

There may be a slight bump for SA pedigrees, but I don't think it's significant. 

In all my years of collecting I've never intentionally bought a pedigree. Sure, I would love to own a Church book, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it personally. No disrespect to Edgar, but I'm more concerned about the book itself than who once owned it. 

Disagree.  It’s definitely a significant bump.  There will always be people saying they wouldn’t pay more for a pedigree book or someone who says they couldn’t care for page quality or a better appearing book as it’s already got a number on the corner.  But fact is there are significant bumps for WP, nicely centered books, nicely presenting books, variant books, mark jewellers inserts, signed books,  pedigree books, etc. the list goes on.  

Edited by Bluemedgroup

5 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Disagree.  It’s definitely a significant bump.  There will always be people saying they wouldn’t pay more for a pedigree book or someone who says they couldn’t care for page quality or a better appearing book as it’s already got a number on the corner.  But fact is there are significant bumps for WP, nicely centered books, nicely presenting books, variant books, mark jewellers inserts, signed books,  pedigree books, etc. the list goes on.  

Agree. At a minimum a ped will sell at fmv quicker/easier than a non-ped. More likely, it fetches a higher price. While there isn’t a set formula, I’d say it’s up to a 25% premium.

6 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

I haven't followed Peds in awhile

3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I wouldn't pay a premium for it personally.

Whatever the dynamic surrounding peds nowadays, one question is how enamoured you could be with manufactured scarcity (via a label designation like ped), particularly when other books of the same technical grade and PQ exist.  Some people like the story accompanying certain books via peds.  If you are such a person, you are likely to be very happy with them and be in good company.  If you are not certain, the premium might not ever sit well with you.  But there is enough of a market for them that you really can't go (too) wrong if you ever go that route, if you do your research and don't overpay.  Some peds get significantly more of a premium than others (and arguably deservedly so, for added peace of mind regarding overall quality), and some often get no premium at all (lesser known, less interesting story, etc.).  That said, peds are less wow factor for Silver Age books than Golden Age, as others noted.  There are enough nice-looking high grade books for SA keys that it could be difficult to justify a premium, at least for most folks.   

Edited by Pantodude

39 minutes ago, october said:

Church copies don't bring a premium because Edgar Church happened to own it, they bring a premium because they are generally the best copies in existence...and that often includes copies that are technically higher grade. The page quality, the gloss, the ink freshness, the cover colors, they are generally (not always) better on pedigrees like Church, Spokane, Curator, etc. These deserve prices well above other copies in the same grade. A lot of other pedigrees don't. 

I didn't "get" Church copies until I had collected gold for awhile. Then I saw a Church copy in-hand. Then I got it.

Yup.  It's not as simple as pedigree vs. non pedigree.  Even among pedigrees, people are generally going to want the nicer book.  In the case of Church copies, they're usually the nicest one.  

With SA pedigrees that's not always the case.  So many of them are exceptional, but there are often comparable non-pedigree copies. 

Pedigree vs Non-Pedigree.  I have seen enough non-pedigree books, which look as good as a corresponding designated Pedigree.  I would not pay a premium-bump in price if I can own the same looking book in the same grade with the same PQ for less money.  Many collectors had and still have exceptional looking raw copies of Golden Age books but will never ask for (let alone receive) a Pedigree status upon submission.  While it can be nice to see that tiny print (Pedigree) on the label and feel a swell of pride - I am not spending more for such a copy when I can get my fix with a similar non-pedigree status. my 2-cents. :preach:

Edited by Roger66

8 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

I haven't followed Peds in awhile.  Back in the day, you could expect a slight bump on a Ped book over a non-ped.  The game has changed a bit over the years and there are a lot of people that probably think that equal grade = equal price.  Especially with Silver Age books where the supply of HG books is pretty deep. 

There are some Peds more highly "regarded" than others as well.  For Silver Age, I think that the Curators and Pac Coast books are considered "the best".  

With Golden Age, it's probably a bit different, where a Church book will always have a certain aura to it.  But, again, it's much different than back in the early days, where a Ped was thought to be "the best".  

The internet, pressing, etc changed the dynamics of the hobby quite a bit and pedigrees, while "cool", don't have the same mystique they once held. 

Wishy-washy answer, I know.  That's how I've seen it play out.  Maybe someone will correct me?  I've been wrong plenty of times. :S  

Is pressing a comic classed as restoration and is it shown on the grade label?

4 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

What are Mark jewellers inserts?

1 hour ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

What are Mark jewellers inserts?

Here's an example of an ad-page insert (similar to Mark Jewelers) that I had handy.  Few books had them, so folks seek them out, like they do other uncommon versions of books, like variants.  There is a good thread on this.   Top of p23 has pix of actual MJ inserts.  Books with such inserts fetch a premium.  

IMGP9476.thumb.JPG.39bff467e2b1ec14a70c26a70dd0d90e.JPG

Edited by Pantodude

2 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Here's an example of an ad-page insert (similar to Mark Jewelers) that I had handy.  Few books had them, so folks seek them out, like they do other uncommon versions of books, like variants.  There is a good thread on this.   Top of p23 has pix of actual MJ inserts.  

IMGP9476.thumb.JPG.39bff467e2b1ec14a70c26a70dd0d90e.JPG

Thanks, much easier to understand with a picture!

if you bought a graded book with an insert like the one above would it be mentioned on the grade label?

when you say variants do you mean price variants like a British pence price or a cent variation like Star Wars 35 cent or are you referring to some other type of variation?