• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

So what does Qualified mean?

Sorry about all the questions.

Qualified means limited in some way.

A qualified comic is sometimes missing a page or has a coupon clipped, or the CF is detached.  A really common qualification is Hulk 181 with the MVS "marvel value stamp" clipped out.  Technically, the comic should be graded as an.5 incomplete, but if it is an 8.0 in every other way, CGC would give it an 8.0 Green Qualified label (and you would cry because of the clipped MVS)

In general Green Q comics are valued the same as maybe a slightly resto'd comic.

Edited by gadzukes

15 hours ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

if you bought a graded book with an insert like the one above would it be mentioned on the grade label?

Yes.  They are listed on the label.  Enough collectors look for them that they usually bring a premium price when selling.

The inserts were always at the center of the comic and all the ones I've ever encountered were made out of a card stock material so they are easy to detect when you hold and flip thru a comic, it'll feel stiffer.

21 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Wait until he get's to advanced terms like "Distribution Overspray" and "Newton Rings"

I think Someone showed me Newton Rings at a show once are they compression rings that appear on the grade case?

i don’t know what Distribution Overspray is?

Would either of these things affect the value of the comic or the grade?

Just now, Wreck-It Ralph said:

I think Someone showed me Newton Rings at a show once are they compression rings that appear on the grade case?

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/93-newbie-comic-collecting-questions/ 

2 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I encourage these questions, but this isn't the right thread...or even the right section. At the top of the main forum view there is a section dedicated to newcomer questions.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/93-newbie-comic-collecting-questions/

Thank you, that's what I was asking/looking for.

1 minute ago, gadzukes said:

We love your enthusiasm and are glad you're diving into the hobby, but we simply can't answer all your questions on a thread like this, especially when it's rapid fire question after question.  

OK, well thanks for all the questions you did answer as they were very helpful.

I remember those days. The learning curve was steep, but I was impressed with how he knew enough to ask the right questions. Not knowing what you don’t know is a tough phase to work through...but all of these questions have been asked before.

One final nugget for you wreck...don’t try to search this forum using the search function. Search via google but add “CGC forum” to your search and it’ll do a better job.

Edited by Callaway29

1 hour ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

They’re circular rainbow colored rings that appear on the plastic case. The rings have nothing to do w the comic. Overspray is paint colored spray usually at the middle top of 60-70s newsstand comics. That may affect the grade but it’s a common practice at the time so that defect may not count against the grade.. depends how aggressively it was done

2 hours ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

Fig Newtons, gotta watch out for those....

26 minutes ago, littledoom said:

They’re circular rainbow colored rings that appear on the plastic case. The rings have nothing to do w the comic. Overspray is paint colored spray usually at the middle top of 60-70s newsstand comics. That may affect the grade but it’s a common practice at the time so that defect may not count against the grade.. depends how aggressively it was done

In Action Figures that would be classed as a factory defect and therefore should not affect the grade!

8 hours ago, Wreck-It Ralph said:

In Action Figures that would be classed as a factory defect and therefore should not affect the grade!

There are always exceptions, but typically it doesn't impact grade. I'd say 98% of the time it doesn't... Only time it might is when dealing with uber high grades or if it's drenched in distributor ink....

Edited by Callaway29

9 hours ago, gadzukes said:

We love your enthusiasm and are glad you're diving into the hobby, but we simply can't answer all your questions on a thread like this, especially when it's rapid fire question after question.  

Been suggested in multiple threads with no change.