• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2021 at 1:30 AM, Steve A said:

As of 5/11/21, this sale has not been represented on GoCollect's website (I just e-mailed them as such so we'll see if they update). This is most interesting to me since I have a 9.0 that I had graded by CGC in 2009 (before the birth of CCS in 2013) and I am strongly considering sending it back to CGC for a clean/press hoping for a grade "bump" (up not down lol). There are definitely a few "minor" defects that should benefit from a pressing.

gocollect has been months behind on listing recent sales. thats why i stopped using them unfortunately, as i did prefer them to gpa. but gpa has been way better and posting recent sales numbers. 

2 hours ago, alexgross.com said:

gocollect has been months behind on listing recent sales. thats why i stopped using them unfortunately, as i did prefer them to gpa. but gpa has been way better and posting recent sales numbers. 

That’s the reason I subscribe to both.  Gocollect has some data that GPA misses and vice versa.  In today’s fast moving market, not failing to check one versus the other might result in missed $$$.  

3 hours ago, BrooksR said:

When did Sub-mariner 1 9.0 become a  2-3k book? I look every now and then because that’s the grade I have, last time I looked it was 1k or less 🤷‍♂️A0A4F0B1-4B3E-4106-BD57-7A623377F67E.thumb.png.dda51ba33b7a1f9c798aa907ebbb06be.png

It wasn't too long ago that I bought a 9.6 WP for $3,600 and then realized I had overpaid because Subby #1s, as it turns out, are in very high supply.  Now of course, I look like a genius but at the time it was clear that I could have found equivalent copies for 2/3 what I'd paid.

I know the market is nuts, and nobody can really say if these prices are just the new normal, but if I were buying I would be careful with this particular book.  Same goes for Hulk #102 which is also very easy to find in high grade, but at least it's the Hulk and that book benefits from being a strong fallback option for people who can't afford any of the original six Hulk issues.

4 hours ago, BrooksR said:

When did Sub-mariner 1 9.0 become a  2-3k book?

EDIT: Apparently, the new participants have a lot more money to spend than the typical comic book collector.   They don't need to wait for the best deal (and risk missed opportunities) via bargain hunting.  This apparent decline in bargain-hunting's impact on current valuations could explain most of what we are seeing.  A quick look at past sales on eBay confirms as much, with more items than usual selling at full "Buy It Now" prices DESPITE the "best offer" option having being enabled on those sales.  This confirms that books are literally flying off the virtual shelves.   Also, should add that we are now seeing doubling, tripling, etc., in the higher grades of even the priciest books, whereas before the high % increases were mostly limited to mid and lower grades.  That's telling.     

Edited by Pantodude

9 hours ago, alexgross.com said:

Thanks for that info !!

6 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

That’s the reason I subscribe to both.  Gocollect has some data that GPA misses and vice versa.  In today’s fast moving market, not failing to check one versus the other might result in missed $$$.  

I like that idea....think I'll do the same.

6 hours ago, Pantodude said:

EDIT: Apparently, the new participants have a lot more money to spend than the typical comic book collector.   They don't need to wait for the best deal (and risk missed opportunities) via bargain hunting.  This apparent decline in bargain-hunting's impact on current valuations could explain most of what we are seeing.  A quick look at past sales on eBay confirms as much, with more items than usual selling at full "Buy It Now" prices DESPITE the "best offer" option having being enabled on those sales.  This confirms that books are literally flying off the virtual shelves.   Also, should add that we are now seeing doubling, tripling, etc., in the higher grades of even the priciest books, whereas before the high % increases were mostly limited to mid and lower grades.  That's telling.     

So true.  I sell on eBay as well and there are times where I’m like are you kidding me this sold for full asking price?  Buyer didn’t even make an offer on a $6k book??  In my head I would have accepted $500-600 less with best offer, but I’m not one to complain.  

Wow the prices.

There was me a big subby fan going hard on a 9.4 white page years ago and costing me $419- eleven years ago thinking I paid too much.

For years it never went up in value but that was okay as I always wanted a 9.4 to replace my raw vf.

Still it's a shock looking at today's prices

On 5/10/2021 at 12:17 AM, KCOComics said:

My collection has been too big apart of my life for too long for me to consider cashing out. I've talked to my wife about the value, but truthfully I don't even have a precise handle on it. I know it's allot more today than it was 12 months ago. 

Yeah I'm much the same way. The only reason I would have to estimate a total monetary value of all my slabs is for insurance purposes. I wouldn't even have a clear idea what that would be at the moment. I guess the point is when that number gets more important than having the books it's a bad sign. Come to think of it it wouldn't be a bad idea to revisit total valuation since I haven't done it in so long. Its just such a drag though :(

21 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah I'm much the same way. The only reason I would have to estimate a total monetary value of all my slabs is for insurance purposes. I wouldn't even have a clear idea what that would be at the moment. I guess the point is when that number gets more important than having the books it's a bad sign. Come to think of it it wouldn't be a bad idea to revisit total valuation since I haven't done it in so long. Its just such a drag though :(

Just have to do it.

I use to not bother now I have to for insurance purposes.

Book I bought about 9 years ago for $600 is now on go collect for 10k

I got to go thru the slabs at least and get a handle on what it is all worth to replace.