• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,104 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Wonder Woman #160 first SA Cheetah. I don't buy a whole lot of SA anymore but ran into a nice copy on the cheap at a flea market. Thought I heard Cheetah might be in the next WW movie so I took a chance. Any buzz about this one?

My understanding is cheetah is confirmed. I sold one for a GPA record, for the grade, on eBay a few weeks ago so I’d say yes...it’s getting a bump from movie buzz. Although, seems almost every sale these days is setting new records...

On 5/31/2018 at 11:51 AM, PeterPark said:

I can't get over how much Marvel Super Heroes 13 is going for...I cashed in way too soon on the copies I had...it is pretty incredible though.

It was always coming to this.

The ONLY MSH#13 in 9.8 sold in 2011 for $1,079.

A 9.4 sold this year for $3,870.

If the 1 copy in 9.8 sells in the next 12 months, the sale price could conceivably exceed 10K - due to both popularity AND rarity.

The current owner is either:

A)  A collector who doesn't care for trends

or

B)  Like Thanos is sitting back and biding their time...

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:03 AM, World Devourer said:

It was always coming to this.

The ONLY MSH#13 in 9.8 sold in 2011 for $1,079.

A 9.4 sold this year for $3,870.

If the 1 copy in 9.8 sells in the next 12 months, the sale price could conceivably exceed 10K - due to both popularity AND rarity.

The current owner is either:

A)  A collector who doesn't care for trends

or

B)  Like Thanos is sitting back and biding their time...

9.0 sold sat for $3301 on ebay

On 4/4/2018 at 11:51 AM, gadzukes said:

In the meantime, I've picked these up over the last few years.  Namor is a cool character.  I'm pretty sure they'll omit his wings though if he makes it to the silver screen.

Got a pretty good price on all of these, but it's tough to find any good prices any more.  I need a CF on that Subby 1..... anyone have one for me?

a1.jpg

You need to share some of these bad boys...

On 6/10/2018 at 12:28 PM, KirbyJack said:

FF 4 is something like a top 5 book for me; I deeply wish I had bought a nicer copy in the olden days.

In my defense, my copy was the most expensive comic I had ever purchased up to that point.

i'm going to be a party pooper here when i say that as a kid, submariner was one of my least favorite characters. i never knew how to pronounce his name for one thing. subMAREEENER? thats what i thought it was. i didnt understand the history of the character. i just thought he was aquaman in his underwear. i liked characters with cool costumes, like dr. doom, green goblin, magneto, dormammu.... everyone's all excited about subby of late. but i still can't get excited about him. 

9 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i'm going to be a party pooper here when i say that as a kid, submariner was one of my least favorite characters. i never knew how to pronounce his name for one thing. subMAREEENER? thats what i thought it was. i didnt understand the history of the character. i just thought he was aquaman in his underwear. i liked characters with cool costumes, like dr. doom, green goblin, magneto, dormammu.... everyone's all excited about subby of late. but i still can't get excited about him. 

I get ya.

I hadn't considered the costume angle; do you remember this one? :smile:

Image result for sub-mariner costumer marvel 70s

On 5/1/2015 at 7:40 PM, zosocane said:

Paul, if you have a copy -- an 8.5, seriously??? -- you're in pretty good shape. SC 30 should be called Lazarus because the debate on its "keyness" on this very thread has been resurrected. Kinda reminds me of ...

"These aren't the droids you're looking for."

"THESE AREN'T THE DROIDS WE'RE LOOKING FOR."

"Showcase 30 is not a key of any sorts."

"SHOWCASE 30 IS NOT A KEY OF ANY SORTS."

"Move along."

"MOVE ALONG, MOVE ALONG."

I know this is a super old post, but could someone direct me to this thread. I've read all up on what I can find on the SA Aquaman debate, but I've yet to have found this original thread. Does someone know where it is? A link maybe?

Also if anyone wants to beat this dead horse anymore, tell me what y'all think about SC 30 and AC 260.

P.S.

By the way this is what I've learned...

Adventure 260- 1st SA Aquaman

Adventure 229- nothing

Showcase 30- nothing

On 6/19/2018 at 11:00 PM, HuddyBee said:

Also if anyone wants to beat this dead horse anymore, tell me what y'all think about SC 30 and AC 260.

Both books are important, and you need to get both.  But in the hierarchy of things, AC 260 is a notch above SC 30  because it features, in a back-up story, a rebooted Aquaman origin for the first time in the Silver Age, which followed what DC had done for Wonder Woman (a rebooted origin in WW 98).  (This is in contrast to a fully rebooted character, which DC did for Flash in SC 4, GL in SC 22 and Atom in SC 34).  SC 30 is the first Aquaman cover and a book dedicated solely to him as a test issue to see if there would be enough market demand to launch his own title.  SC 30 was published about a year after AC 260, and the story is essentially an expansion of the rebooted origin from AC 260 (both drawn by Ramona Fradon, and many of the panels are similar -- it's been a while since I compared the panels from the two books so I can't say if there are identical panels).  

Edited by zosocane

Two lower grade copies sold last night for a bit less then the 90 day GPA average so I don't know if I see a heating.  Has a copy sold on E-Bay in over a week? 

On 6/20/2018 at 2:25 PM, zosocane said:

Both books are important, and you need to get both.  But in the hierarchy of things, AC 260 is a notch above SC 30  because it features, in a back-up story, a rebooted Aquaman origin for the first time in the Silver Age, which followed what DC had done for Wonder Woman (a rebooted origin in WW 98).  (This is in contrast to a fully rebooted character, which DC did for Flash in SC 4, GL in SC 22 and Atom in SC 34).  SC 30 is the first Aquaman cover and a book dedicated solely to him as a test issue to see if there would be enough market demand to launch his own title.  SC 30 was published about a year after AC 260, and the story is essentially an expansion of the rebooted origin from AC 260 (both drawn by Ramona Fradon, and many of the panels are similar -- it's been a while since I compared the panels from the two books so I can't say if there are identical panels).  

Agreed, I snagged a AC 260, but SC 30 is just to expensive even in low grade for my budget. My only question is, why isn't it a full reboot? Sure the character looks the same, but Hawkman looked exactly the same in his reboot. Sure he's got the same powers as is GA counterpart, so did Flash, GL, and Hawkman. So if you ask me compared to those reboots, AC 260 is a full reboot of the character. I get that Aquaman was published continually thru the GA and SA, but who's to say a reboot cant happen on the fly. The SA and GA Aquamen are two completely unrelated different people with different origins. So if you ask me AC 260 is a full reboot despite continued publishing, and should be up there with SC 22 and BB 28, or at least on par with SC 34 and BB 34. I guess people are just missing out on a huge key, just cause CGC doesn't have the balls to put "First S.A. Aquaman" on the label.

Also Ive heard the argument for AC 229, which is completely ridiculous. Its not anything because the start of the silver age isn't an agreed upon defined point, (if ya ask me its when they introduced the CCA) and if it was it would just be the "First Aquaman in S.A." And there's a big difference between that and "First S.A. Aquaman."

Also, do you got a link to that one thread ya'll keep alluding to in these SC 30 v Ac 260 debates? I'd love to read it.

50 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Agreed, I snagged a AC 260, but SC 30 is just to expensive even in low grade for my budget. My only question is, why isn't it a full reboot? Sure the character looks the same, but Hawkman looked exactly the same in his reboot. Sure he's got the same powers as is GA counterpart, so did Flash, GL, and Hawkman. So if you ask me compared to those reboots, AC 260 is a full reboot of the character. I get that Aquaman was published continually thru the GA and SA, but who's to say a reboot cant happen on the fly. The SA and GA Aquamen are two completely unrelated different people with different origins. So if you ask me AC 260 is a full reboot despite continued publishing, and should be up there with SC 22 and BB 28, or at least on par with SC 34 and BB 34. I guess people are just missing out on a huge key, just cause CGC doesn't have the balls to put "First S.A. Aquaman" on the label.

Also Ive heard the argument for AC 229, which is completely ridiculous. Its not anything because the start of the silver age isn't an agreed upon defined point, (if ya ask me its when they introduced the CCA) and if it was it would just be the "First Aquaman in S.A." And there's a big difference between that and "First S.A. Aquaman."

Also, do you got a link to that one thread ya'll keep alluding to in these SC 30 v Ac 260 debates? I'd love to read it.

Some say it's not a full reboot because Aquaman has always been Arthur Curry and is thus the same physical person.  Unlike, say, the Flash (full reboot), who was Jay Garrick in 1940 then was Barry Allen in 1956.  Ditto with Green Lantern (full reboot) who went from Alan Scott to Hal Jordan.  Similarly, Atom was a completely different person (GA vs. SA).  I think Hawkman is a different alter ego, right?  The argument is that Aquaman, like Wonder Woman, is the same person, hence it's a soft reboot.  So if one says, "First Silver Age Aquaman," that's not technically true.  But to say, "First SA origin of Aquaman," is technically better.

I don't have a link to the thread.  There are two of these threads in the last 3 years, if i remember correctly.  Try a Google search using "collector's society," that is sometimes much faster than the search engine above.  But I will save you the trouble, about half the Boardies say SC 30 over AC 260, and half say AC 260 over SC 30.  Financially, the market favors SC 30 over AC 260, if that matters to you.  (I don't care one way or the other as I have both, but I have my personal opinion that ain't changing.)  That's basically it.   

Edited by zosocane