Silver age comics that are heating up
29 29

1,385 posts in this topic

1,555 posts
On 9/11/2018 at 8:06 PM, boomtown said:

Captain Britain/Black Knight Movie rumors have a really large number of Avengers #48 being sold on ebay over the last few days. Prices haven't really jumped but the speculators are buying up whatever looks reasonable. I've been a fan of the book since I was a kid and never understood why, in a market that any Silver Age 1st appearance can sky rocket, that the Black Knight has just set flat, barely breaking out over surrounding issues.

I'm bored and just looked at the census numbers for Captain Britain #1. Only 179 graded...is this scarce? Or tons of raws just not "slab-worthy" due to low demand? Someone told me these are tough in higher grade due to the mask causing damage...not quite sure I buy that, but maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
460 posts
3 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I'm bored and just looked at the census numbers for Captain Britain #1. Only 179 graded...is this scarce? Or tons of raws just not "slab-worthy" due to low demand? Someone told me these are tough in higher grade due to the mask causing damage...not quite sure I buy that, but maybe?

Scarce by Marvel standards? Maybe. Scarce in comparison to DC books? No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,995 posts
On 9/11/2018 at 5:06 PM, boomtown said:

Captain Britain/Black Knight Movie rumors have a really large number of Avengers #48 being sold on ebay over the last few days. I've been a fan of the book since I was a kid and never understood why, in a market that any Silver Age 1st appearance can sky rocket, that the Black Knight has just set flat.

Always enjoyed the white cover to rebooted Black Knight from Avengers # 48:

Ohz2wMU.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,676 posts
On 9/11/2018 at 10:09 PM, aardvark88 said:

If the movie is based on UK :wishluck: heroes, shouldn't the spec be on 1st app. and origin of first Marvel (non-Atlas) Black Knight based in UK from TTA #52 Feb, 1964?

I think it's far more likely Sir Percy is in a Black Knight movie in a jedi ghost/Lady of the Lake role than the villainous version from TTA 52.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,555 posts
12 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

Scarce by Marvel standards? Maybe. Scarce in comparison to DC books? No.

Well, regardless of that paradigm...179 is a low census for a bronze book. I was thinking perhaps the print runs for the UK were lower than US...

Edited by Callaway29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
825 posts
On 9/16/2018 at 11:39 AM, Callaway29 said:

Well, regardless of that paradigm...179 is a low census for a bronze book. I was thinking perhaps the print runs for the UK were lower than US...

They were. Far smaller population.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,493 posts
On 9/16/2018 at 8:39 AM, Callaway29 said:

Well, regardless of that paradigm...179 is a low census for a bronze book. I was thinking perhaps the print runs for the UK were lower than US...

I bought one back in the 70s.  Never thought they were scarce.  You saw them pretty frequently.  I always assumed they released the book to the U.S. market.  Would never think of slabbing it given the format and newsprint.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,800 posts

Fantastic four annual 6 is creeping up there in all grades, finally getting credit it deserves!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,264 posts
17 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:

Fantastic four annual 6 is creeping up there in all grades, finally getting credit it deserves!

Yea - a CGC 9.2 just sold for $1,600 which is quite a jump.  The problem is there just is not that many 9.0 and higher copies floating around so I do see the price skyrocketing if it gets billed as a key book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,264 posts

Of course the higher prices will bring out the high grade copies but at this time there is only 345 graded copies and only 200 copies over CGC 8.0.  I've got 9 copies in to get graded so I'm hoping a few will be 9.0 and higher and the rest in the 7.0 - 8.5 range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,098 posts
2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Of course the higher prices will bring out the high grade copies but at this time there is only 345 graded copies and only 200 copies over CGC 8.0.  I've got 9 copies in to get graded so I'm hoping a few will be 9.0 and higher and the rest in the 7.0 - 8.5 range.

 you know it is one of my Seek and ye shall find books!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,800 posts

Fantastic four 65 seems to be doing very well, another one not common in 9.0+ grade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,543 posts
On 9/11/2018 at 8:59 PM, sfcityduck said:

Answering the OP's question:  Little Dot 119 is on fire!  Multiples of guide, way above the adjacent issues.  

I didn't find sales data to back that up. I did see some high prices for file copies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,555 posts

Avengers 8 (first kang) looks to be getting some heat. A little sporadic, but that’s not uncommon at the beginning of a run-up...perhaps that’s what we’re seeing? Time will tell...

Edited by Callaway29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
229 posts
On 9/28/2018 at 3:41 PM, Dreamtoreal1 said:

Amazing Spiderman 50 is heating up in high grade for sure

B44746B7-78EC-4E71-BFEC-F4B213ACBF79.jpeg

Is it really heating up, or has it just always been hot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,098 posts
17 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Is it really heating up, or has it just always been hot?

I agree it has always been a Semi Key and a top 10 Spidey book.  But While around 500 for a 6 is good I have seen 9.0 sell in the mid 2ks.  So I will be hunting for a nice raw.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,549 posts
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, Bobbyusc said:

I think youll be waiting a long time before FF5 hits the theaters.  But when it does, yes, the comic may take a small hit.  Unlike most of the other villains in the MCU Doom has staying power, so I wouldnt expect it to come down as drastic as some.

Doom has already been in multiple movies? I know they will eventually do him properly. So far, terrible, all of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
29 29